Periphery Megathread: Everything Periphery

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ya, i hear little vibrato in Spencer's voice, and i don't hear it at the end of any lines. And for god sakes, everyone stop referring to the singing style as "emo".

Firstly, i don't find Spencer to have to whiny high school scene band sound in his voice. AT ALL. Neither does he sound like an emo screamer to me. He has a bright timbre to his voice, and y'all wanna crucify him for it.

The first thing that comes to mind when I hear him are the emo/screamo-type vocalists I've heard. Sorry if that bothers you, but from the overall sound and style that's where I end up with him - not nearly as annoying, but there's definitely something to the comparison.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Heh. In my mind, a "real metal singer" *is* a clean-to-slightly-gritty vocalist with a powerful voice, a la classics like Dickenson or Dio, or someone newer like Tim Aymar. Apparently, I'm in the minority about that, but that how I read it. Compared to someone like that, Spencer's high notes are very thin and whiny.

I agree completely.. but, unfortunately, we're old men :rofl:

eegor

Theoretical Reality
Reaction score
On the album there aren't many moments when Chris uses Vibrato....I'm pretty sure he can only squeeze out those notes because he is tensing his throat and vocal chords to make him sing straight tone, which is what most pop singers do. Not to pull a power trip, but I'm a vocal instructor....Please give me an example of a line where the end has too much vibrato....I have yet to think of a SINGLE part.....

IMO, the "emo" sound comes from the whiney, bright tone, actual timbre of the vocal mechanism from squeezing the vocal chords so hard, which is most likely why he was sore at some of the concerts. It's not the vibrato.....Vibrato will actually SAVE your career. It's the straight tone that kills careers. This is why opera singers can sing until they are OLD OLD OLD.

Maybe what you are referring to is sliding the pitch at the end of the lines?

Vibrato is very much important in singing opera and classical music. I've been getting classical instruction for a while now and I'm beginning to appreciate the flavor you get when you add it in. It's really hard for me to do vibrato because I haven't sung for a long time at all, but it makes a huge difference.

That being said, the discussion of vibrato is pertaining to Periphery's style of music and theirs only. The atonal nature of a lot of the stuff, combined with the very elaborate and technical rhythms calls for some really straight-tone singing. I agree in that the vibrato takes away from my experience of the music.

There's no question that vibrato is important in just about every singer's voice, but there are times that call for straight-tone, and this music, in my opinion, calls for just that.

Customisbetter

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Contributor
Reaction score
I won't disagree when people call Spencer an "emo" type singer. He does push a LOT of air and ends his lines with a small sigh which is characteristic of "emo" singers. It doesn't bother me though.

Epic Music is Epic Music. Why bitch?

getaway_fromme

Reaction score
I won't disagree when people call Spencer an "emo" type singer. He does push a LOT of air and ends his lines with a small sigh which is characteristic of "emo" singers. It doesn't bother me though.

Epic Music is Epic Music. Why bitch?

I just want to find a spot where he uses vibrato at the end of a line, I can't think of any off hand.

ManBeast

Reaction score
The first thing that comes to mind when I hear him are the emo/screamo-type vocalists I've heard. Sorry if that bothers you, but from the overall sound and style that's where I end up with him - not nearly as annoying, but there's definitely something to the comparison.

I totally agree with this statement. Reason I'll be sticking with the instrumental CD.

right_to_rage

Avant Temporal
Reaction score
Misha, you should grow your hair back out lol. BADASS! Or someone in the band should be elected to do so, too much business going on.

Reaction score
Thats because the vocals use too much vibrato. He is an amazing singer, but as many emo singers, he uses too much vibrato at the end of each vocal line (that annoying quality of over expressionism of every emo singer).

That makes the whole atonal quality and poly-rhythmic quality of the guitars/bass/drums disappear a little bit, behind the tonal center that the vocal is trying to establish every time. It works some times, creating tension and release qualities. I enjoyed Chris vocals more. That's why I skip many tracks in the album. That's how my brain views it.

I thought the exact opposite, that his tuned long notes end up sounding stale and could REALLY do with some vibrato for expression.

bulb

Reaction score
Misha, you should grow your hair back out lol. BADASS! Or someone in the band should be elected to do so, too much business going on.

Dude i would if it werent such a pain in the ass on tour, right now i have like a #2 buzz, and it makes life so easy, you always look the same and your hair never feels gross!

Opion

Sir Mattafer
Reaction score
I feel you on that meesh, after having long hair for so long and finally just getting fed up with it having barely any hair feels great :lol:

hopefully If I can manage to squeeze a few more days out of work to let me hang in ATL I can catch y'all after thrash and burn - I'm already dead set on summer slaughter but you guys are coming by a week or so afterwards. Sign my hedstock plz :bowdown: Haha.

eegor

Theoretical Reality
Reaction score
Man, buzz cutting your hair is amazing. I woke up late a couple days ago and had no time to shower before work, so I had to put on deoderant and deal with only that. Luckily my hair's only like 1/4" long so I didn't have to do anything with it.

Interloper

Reaction score
I'll put these here....
ModNationRacers_3.jpg

ModNationRacers_4.jpg

ModNationRacers_5.jpg

ModNationRacers_6.jpg

')