Periphery Megathread: Everything Periphery

bulb

Reaction score
What makes you say that? Just as someone who composed most of the stuff on I and a lot of it on II? Or maybe because of the longer song lengths like Racecar and all?

Both albums hit me really just right the first time listening to them but I do agree that certain tracks or sections on the album take some time to digest and really understand.

The reason I say that is because the songs were not written to cater to the listener, they were just written to be songs that made us happy, and so that is not always the most "direct" way to get to people, but at least it is genuine.

We have had a lot of people say they didn't like the album or us at first, and slowly came around. That's fine by me too, that's how I was with pretty much every band that I currently love haha!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Innervision

Reaction score
I also bought I & II at the same time and I like II better. Maybe it's because I already knew more than half of the tracks on I I don't know, but II feels more mature to me. I also like the production more. I wish Spencer would do more screaming parts on the songs, I love the way he does that, very brutal! Like in Muramasa at 1'50. Love this intro! Can't wait to see the band in 10 days.

Opion

Sir Mattafer
Reaction score
It's difficult to say which album I prefer more. PII has such thick layering and a better sounding mix, and to some I would agree that it can translate into an "information overload". It has a lot of depth, some of the songs come from various directions (which probably had to do with the fact each member contributed to each song differently).

Their first album still has that nostalgic air to it, seeing as most of the songs I used to listen to the POD-recorded demo versions. Hearing All New Materials for the first time with vocals was fuckin' awesome, as well as all the neat little things they left for us to salivate over. So in essence it wasn't so much as a new album to me (or most Periphery fans that liked them as far back as 08/09), which probably explains the difference of opinions for people who didn't like their second album.

Personally, I love them both, but recommending a song for a new listener I'd have to say it's best to start with their first record. Some bands are different and I'd say to listen to the middle of their catalogue, but others will argue that it's best to start from the beginning so as to understand the difference between albums. I'm splitting hairs here obviously, but it's tricky when a band such as the 'Riff always likes to keep us on our toes!

lawizeg

Reaction score
Definitely II, for one main reason: Spencer. His vocals are miles above the previous vocalists' in my opinion, it makes a huge difference. I do love the instrumentation on both, but I think Periphery I was kind of just Bulb + band, while II had a lot more variation and was less djenty and more musical IMHO.
When I listen to most songs on I, instrumental or no, I jam and headbob.
When I listen to II, I'm singing and screaming along and am totally immersed.

Big inspirations for me either way :hbang:

Last edited:

lawizeg

Reaction score
For those wondering about how my signature pedal sounds and compares to the Pro Tone Deadhorse it is based off of:

And here is the link where you can get more info and preorder (while they are still available!): Pro Tone Pedals ::purveyors of euphonious mayhem::

Also I want everything about this pedal :lol:
If they don't sell out ill be lucky, if not I'm going for the dead horse!

Tang

Master of Chihuahuas
Reaction score
Definitely II, for one main reason: Spencer. His vocals are miles above the previous vocalists' in my opinion, it makes a huge difference. I do love the instrumentation on both, but I think Periphery I was kind of just Bulb + band, while II had a lot more variation and was less djenty and more musical IMHO.
When I listen to most songs on I, instrumental or no, I jam and headbob.
When I listen to II, I'm singing and screaming along and am totally immersed.

Big inspirations for me either way :hbang:

The vocalist on the first album was Spencer. That's how much he improved.

;)

matt397

Tr00f
Reaction score
I loved I and II blew me away at how far they evolved and I am excited to hear the new material. Having said that, the more I listen to the older demos the more I really really hope to hear a Bulb solo album.

RagtimeDandy

On a Musical Journey
Reaction score
The vocalist on the first album was Spencer. That's how much he improved.

;)

LOL :rofl:

This is so true though, he stole the show on PII and solidified his place in my top 5 vocalists. Him and Rody Walker are tied for 1st place for me.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
That's actually a really good question, if you were introducing someone to Periphery what songs would you recommend?

It's a hard decision to make, but you guys have enough variety to reel in many groups of people. For someone who dabbles in like music but hates screams, I would do these three.

Jetpacks, Erised, and Mile Zero even though it has a bit here and there.

Anyone else I'd do Facepalm Mute, All New Materials, and Scarlet.

TheFerryMan

Sauvage
Reaction score
That's actually a really good question, if you were introducing someone to Periphery what songs would you recommend?

It's a hard decision to make, but you guys have enough variety to reel in many groups of people. For someone who dabbles in like music but hates screams, I would do these three.

Jetpacks, Erised, and Mile Zero even though it has a bit here and there.

Anyone else I'd do Facepalm Mute, All New Materials, and Scarlet.

i usually do Mile Zero followed by Scarlet(Music Video)

mcsalty

Keepin' it Kodos
Reaction score

it definitely depends on the person's musical preference. for example a little bit before they released the first album i heard Icarus and wasn't into it, so i wrote them off until my friend showed me Zyglrox. i checked out the rest of the album after that and ended up liking pretty much the whole thing. in the same sense if i were showing them to someone who was into more melodic, softer music i would show them Light or Mile Zero long before i'd show them Totla Mad or Make Total Destroy haha

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
Jesus Christ, I cannot breathe.

Periphery (band) - Wikipizzle, tha free encyclopedia

"Periphery be a Gangsta progressive metal crew from Bethesda, Maryland (by way of Baltimore, Maryland), formed up in 2005 by turntablist Misha Mansoor."

"overdriven palm-muted boombox sound first pimped by tha likez of tha Swedish off tha hook metal crew Meshuggah."

"After nuff muthafuckin lineup chizzlez durin its history, tha crew now includes Mansoor, vocalist Spencer Sotelo, disc jockey Matt Halpern, additionizzle turntablists Jake Bowen n' Mark Holcomb, n' basehead Adam "Nolly" Getgood. Y'all KNOW dat shit, muthafucka! I be fly as a gangbangin' falcon, soarin all up in tha sky dawwwwg!"

""Ragnarok" is up in Drop G#, except wit tha lowest strang dropped down ta F#"

"Current members
Misha "Bulb" Mansoor ��" lead guitar, thang (2005��"present)
Jake Bowen ��" boomboxes, programmin (2007��"present), backin vocals (live only az of 2011)
Matt Halpern ��" beats (2009��"present)
Spencer Sotelo ��" lead vocals (2010��"present)
Mark Holcomb ��" boomboxes (2011��"present)
Adam "Nolly" Getphat ��" bass boombox (2012��"present)

"Adam Nolly Getphat"

I literally CANNOT fucking breathe right now :lol::lol:

JEngelking

Gravity is Shifting!
Reaction score
^ Fuckin' legendary. :rofl:

Originally, Misha played beats up in tha crew fo' live performances yo, but switched ta boombox afta recruitin Travis Orbin. I aint talkin' bout chicken n' gravy biatch.

In a rap battle wit Mixdown magazine, Misha Mansoor discussed tha bandz live sound; "I be thinkin tha tone quest ended fo' our asses wit tha Axe-FX. Our thugged-out asses now go direct. Our thugged-out asses don't use amps any more, our phat asses don't use cabs, our phat asses don't use pedals. Our thugged-out asses just have a Axe-FX n' a Fractal MFC foot controller...and our laid-back asses just go directly tha fuck into tha board wit that," says Mansoor.

Reaction score
If I was to show someone periphery who wasn't into "djent" then I would go with either icarus, jetpacks or erised, to sort of smooth the ride to djent tone and rhythms etc. Then I would choose next depending on there reaction.

If they said it was ok then I would probably make them listen to all new materials as it mixes mixes more djenty rhythms but with it also one of the more softer periphery songs. If they said they really like it then I would throw them deeper maybe to insomnia, maybe Ragnarok or possible even Ji

.I think Ji would be a good choice because it has heavy tone and rythms with screams etc but more importantly because of the chilled part around halfway through. I really love this part because Spencer really shows what he can do with his cleans, and also because if how melodic it is and which everybody likes :) personally I think this is one of the songs they shine in .:D

Reaction score
They are sorta different, but if you dig I, I would say give II a fair shot by listening to it from start to finish. In my opinion, both albums are growers, but that's not to say you will like it for sure, however they were both written and arranged to be best enjoyed as an album.

Definitely. I can't seem to get into Periphery I, but Periphery II might be the best metal album I have ever heard. No joke. I guess it all depends on what floats your boat.

That being said, I don't know if I have ever listened to Periphery I as an album start to finish. Usually on shuffle. Might have to try that and see if it changes my opinion.

')