Periphery Megathread: Everything Periphery

Andrew Lloyd Webber

Super Duper Moduraturr
Reaction score
It apparently takes a brain surgeon to figure this out... if I compare them to Dream Theater while at the same time I'm saying they didn't come close to reaching their potential, what could that possibly mean? Once upon a time I was convinced they were going to be a modern day Metallica and the whole djent thing would have been Thrash 2.0 but nope! They took the easy way out and started writing note salad songs instead

Though they may not have lived up to your expectations, you can take comfort in knowing your child is doing what makes them happy.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bulb

Reaction score
Yeah but you're still talking about a 'prog' band and your negative example was arguably the most successful modern prog band currently active. Feels like an own goal as DT level of 'success' you're saying is a 'fail' would be the legit dream for bands of most genres nowadays.

Regardless, TL/DR modern technical band does well enough to venture out and do their own thing, on their own terms. Good on them.

I'm glad you understand, and thanks man!

tpl2000

Uhn Tiss Uhn Tiss.
Reaction score
Hey guys, just wanted to know if anyone know which songs Periphery did, that sounded good, weren't straight noise metal, and were on six-strings. I've listened to them for a while, and I feel like it would be worth learning a fair bit of their music, but I'm lacking a 7/8 string and don't really like playing noise metal.

So, any suggestions or recommendations are welcome! (I'm in the middle of learning Scarlet, currently.)

Metropolis

Reaction score
Hey guys, just wanted to know if anyone know which songs Periphery did, that sounded good, weren't straight noise metal, and were on six-strings. I've listened to them for a while, and I feel like it would be worth learning a fair bit of their music, but I'm lacking a 7/8 string and don't really like playing noise metal.

So, any suggestions or recommendations are welcome! (I'm in the middle of learning Scarlet, currently.)

6-string drop C is their most used tuning along with 7-string drop G#.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Djent/comments/5jsicn/every_periphery_tuning/

prlgmnr

...that kind of idea
Reaction score

Can anyone tell me which songs Periphery did that were """straight"" "noise metal""?

tpl2000

Uhn Tiss Uhn Tiss.
Reaction score
Learn music from a band you like instead?

To be clear on what I meant by what I said, I don't like playing noise metal. I'm okay with listening to it. Even with songs where the guitar doesn't seem to have any basis on theory, they compensate with vocals most of the time (see: Make Total Destroy)

So, I'm not saying I dislike Periphery. I'm just saying I need stuff with theory.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
To be clear on what I meant by what I said, I don't like playing noise metal. I'm okay with listening to it. Even with songs where the guitar doesn't seem to have any basis on theory, they compensate with vocals most of the time (see: Make Total Destroy)

So, I'm not saying I dislike Periphery. I'm just saying I need stuff with theory.

If you think there isn't theory behind Periphery songs, learn more theory.

warped

Reaction score

Mile Zero off Periphery II is Drop C and fun to play along with:

tpl2000

Uhn Tiss Uhn Tiss.
Reaction score
If you think there isn't theory behind Periphery songs, learn more theory.
Why do people constantly think I'm saying they don't use theory at all?

I just said they use theory. Sometimes they don't, but usually they do. Anyways...

')