PERIPHERY - New song from our upcoming album is up on our NEW myspace layout!!

• Thread starter bulb
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

drmosh

Sir Paul of the Mosh
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm gonna buy 2 copies of this CD!
people who have no money talk about it the entire time, shut up and get a job HAHA! :)

Prydogga

Giddyup.
Reaction score
Even if they have permission, which they probably do, now that I've seen the 'full' link, I'm not going to listen to it again, I want surprises from the album, not that it *needs* surprises, it's going to be epic either way. :hbang:

includao

Banned
Reaction score
FIRST: I'm going to pay for Periphery's album. This month I'm going to pay for Dillinger Escape Plan new album too. I'm not going to pay because I think getting it for free is stealing. I'm going to pay for it because I want to support them into making more music, because I feel it has made my life better. Basic empathy and intrinsic motivation. I hope my money makes their life better, as they made my life better. It offends me to say that it is stealing. It offends academic research that says that 'piracy' can help boost sells, that people who didn't buy weren't going to buy it anyways. As it is a cultural evolution for buying motive being more centered in intrinsic motivation than the anxiety to get it without paying. I'm not going to pay for it because they (Periphery) own information, because I know ideas can't be owned. You can ban me for it. Once sustained out of your brain, they take virtually no time and no energy to replicate it. You can't prove that you own your ideas, but you can prove you spent 160 hours in a studio playing your guitar. But once recorded, it doesn't belong to you, in fact, you can't say that you owned, just that it has manifested through your brain. In fact, most inspirational moments from musicians arise when they feel the music run through their bodies. It's not something conscious, so even in a romantic or phenomenological way, you can't say you created something. Art is not a way to make a living. Art is a way of life. The quality and value of a work of art has absolutely nothing to do with the economic status of the artist and everything to do with the honest endeavor to create something new and personal to share with the world.

I feel bad for people saying that I'm justifying NOT PAYING FOR THE ALBUM. I'm just clarifying that getting it without paying is not stealing. If you get off your guitar and go read books, you will know that it's not stealing, philosophically and scientifically speaking.

It makes perfect sense, but it doesn't justify what he wants it to.

Hes saying because your not actually physically stealing anything (periphery or anyone is not losing anything data is just being copied which uses no resources so nothing is stolen) that its ok.

That and that there really isn't ownership of ideas such as a song which would be a musical idea. You cant own an idea.

Its all correct and makes perfect sense, but it doesn't make it any less stealing. Its just viewing something in a certain way to justify the speakers argument but it really has no validity in a situation like music piracy.

EXCELLENT! EVERYTHING I SAID ABOUT *YOU CAN'T OWN IDEAS OR INFORMATION* MAKES PERFECT SENSE AND IT IS CORRECT.

But... But... It must be wrong because my tummy says it bad... Just like when mommy said god hates fags... It doesn't make sense, but it must be true, right?

Basic argument: You steal when you get something that you don't own. Ideas can't be owned. End of argument. It's not stealing, that's the core.

You do make sense. You were raised in a certain culture, now you really think its immoral to duplicate information (music is information). Thomas Jefferson: “He who receives an idea from me receives [it] without lessening [me], as he who lights his [candle] at mine receives light without darkening me. I'm not stealing information, I just downloaded it. And when I download it, people don't lose ANYTHING. Oh wait... THEY LOSE SOMETHING. What do they lose? The opportunity to profit from ideas. Ironically, ideas which they can't prove empirically they own. In fact, the most ideas (information) in this world are free (when, in the first place, they are always free, hence artificial scarcity is created in your mind and in society). Most people that initially are said to have helped generate ideas didn't receive any money, hence the inability to prove ownership of an idea. The guy who supposedly created the concept of Super-man (comic books) first died poor, without a coin. Because the concept of ownership is not falsifiable and it's just relative, maintained by coercion, through the power of the gun and money. When Dr. Jonas Salk developed the vaccine for polio (which rendered millions of people paralyzed in the modern world), he was asked in a televised interview who owned the patent to the vaccine, Salk replied: "There is no patent. Could you patent the sun?". He could have it sold to the pharmaceutical industry and become a billionaire.

So yeah, what do we empirically own? Time. Time to make the plastic of the CD, time to extract natural resources, time to make ideas come out of the guitar. But once they are out, they are free because they cost virtually no time, no energy to replicate it, neither from me or for the so called 'owner'.

You can't steal something that, initially, people can't prove they owned. While it is extremely objective to say people own their time, their well-being without physical or psychological suffering, it's stupid to assume that you own ideas. It's egoistical and scientifically, philosophically false. OH YEAH BUT THE GUVNERMENT AND MY MOM AND GOD AND OBAMA TOLD ME THAT THERE'S INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY DERP DERP DERP.

Some libertarian critics of intellectual property have argued that allowing property rights in ideas and information creates artificial scarcity and infringes on the right to own tangible property: magine the time when men lived in caves. One bright guy—let’s call him Galt-Magnon—decides to build a log cabin on an open field, near his crops. To be sure, this is a good idea, and others notice it. They naturally imitate Galt-Magnon, and they start building their own cabins. But the first man to invent a house, according to IP advocates, would have a right to prevent others from building houses on their own land, with their own logs, or to charge them a fee if they do build houses. It is plain that the innovator in these examples becomes a partial owner of the tangible property (e.g., land and logs) of others, due not to first occupation and use of that property (for it is already owned), but due to his coming up with an idea. Clearly, this rule flies in the face of the first-user homesteading rule, arbitrarily and groundlessly overriding the very homesteading rule that is at the foundation of all property rights.

slapnutz

Reaction score
I think people who arent a fan of the vocals (like me) should just be glad that they are doing an instrumental cd version and really stop complaining. Once I read that they were doing that, all I feel now is serenity.

Its the sound Misha wanted and its his band and he is happy with it. Besides y'all can overdub your voice onto the instrumental version and upload on youtube to showcase your talents. Nah... kidding.. i love yous all. Its just the passion we share for our music thats coming through, albeit sometimes conveyed in an misunderstood fashion. :hug:

Besides the guy wrote Press Enter which means he is the best thing in the universe. :bowdown:

(Also the fact he is also involved in OMNOM makes him x2 of what i said above)

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
It makes perfect sense, but it doesn't justify what he wants it to.

Hes saying because your not actually physically stealing anything (periphery or anyone is not losing anything data is just being copied which uses no resources so nothing is stolen) that its ok.

is it still wrong if you then go on and pay for it?

i´m not sure i really see the problem that has been pointed out several places in this thread. if i want to hear an album, i don´t let a lack of money get in the way of that, but i don´t let the "free" content get in the way of me paying for it when i can.

i´m not justifying it or whatever, it´s what i actually do. it´s more like borrowing than it is stealing. if i listen to an album first and then buy it, or buy it first then listen to it, is there really any difference? they might not get the royalties for it on the same day, sure, but can you really say it´s stealing?

and then what about all the bands that i would´ve never fallen in love with if it weren´t for downloading their music to check it out? i would´ve never fallen in love with Meshuggah, for example, if i didn´t have the ability to check out their stuff first. now i´ve bought it, and i don´t feel bad about that. they got money from me in exchange for music that i love.

call me a thief, call me whatever you like, but the artists do get my money anyway. if you think that´s wrong, then i can´t say i agree.

edit: and no, i won´t download the periphery album. chillax.

IamOthello

Reaction score
I'll enter this conversation about piracy.

I am poor. My mother hasn't worked in seven years and has no unemployment or anything. I get barely any luxuries. Only what I need. So are you saying because of my mother, I don't deserve to hear the Periphery album? I am trying my hardest to get money to buy it, but honestly I've listened to them for about two years now, and I am not going to wait for the money if it comes out and I don't have it. :(

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
I'll enter this conversation about piracy.

I am poor. My mother hasn't worked in seven years and has no unemployment or anything. I get barely any luxuries. Only what I need. So are you saying because of my mother, I don't deserve to hear the Periphery album? I am trying my hardest to get money to buy it, but honestly I've listened to them for about two years now, and I am not going to wait for the money if it comes out and I don't have it. :(

You have a computer and internet access. You are NOT poor, internet access is a luxury, not a life-sustaining requirement so if you're able to keep paying an ISP and own a computer I honestly can't look at you and thinkg "damn, dude is hurting!". :lol:

Also I just looked at your profile... you're 19 dude wtf! :rofl: Go get a job! I've been part of the working force since I was 12, got an official minimum wage job at 15 when I could do so legally and have been employed ever since. If you're 19 and claiming you're poor because your MOM doesn't make any money, what's YOUR excuse exactly? You're "not going to wait because you don't have the money" again sounds like someone trying to justify stealing... that's lame. :noway:

IamOthello

Reaction score
You have a computer and internet access. You are NOT poor, internet access is a luxury, not a life-sustaining requirement so if you're able to keep paying an ISP and own a computer I honestly can't look at you and thinkg "damn, dude is hurting!". :lol:

I knew somebody was going to say that. I am doing online classes right now, so it is not a luxury. It is required for me to get an education.

edit, can't get a job because I am forced to constantly take care of my mother.

double edit, I am also eighteen. Not sure why that says 19.

DDDorian

Mantis Toboggan, M.D
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Let me make this clear: no piracy talk. None. Specifically, generally, philosophically, it doesn't matter. It ends now. I don't care if you do or don't pirate anything, I just want people to realise that discussing the pros and cons of piracy in the thread of someone who's plugging an album is total bullshit.

IamOthello/MF_Kitten I don't care. Rationalising your intent to pirate Bulb's album in his own goddamn thread is a dick move, regardless if you totally intend to buy it for real one day. Show some tact.

includao - Your argument has three flaws:

1) Music is not an idea and recorded music is not a documentation of an idea - music is an expression of emotion that is unique and personal to each individual

2) You don't pay for music, you pay to become a licensee of the copyright holder, and while copyright infringement may not fit the strict definition of "theft" it is definitely fraud, which can extend to include theft, so it's basically splitting hairs

3) it's really hard to believe anything you say about "empathy" after reading all that autistic bleep-bloopy wank.

In summation: shut the fuck up.

Dan

Reaction score
Let me make this clear: no piracy talk. None. Specifically, generally, philosophically, it doesn't matter. It ends now. I don't care if you do or don't pirate anything, I just want people to realise that discussing the pros and cons of piracy in the thread of someone who's plugging an album is total bullshit.

IamOthello/MF_Kitten I don't care. Rationalising your intent to pirate Bulb's album in his own goddamn thread is a dick move, regardless if you totally intend to buy it for real one day. Show some tact.

includao - Your argument has three flaws:

1) Music is not an idea and recorded music is not a documentation of an idea - music is an expression of emotion that is unique and personal to each individual

2) You don't pay for music, you pay to become a licensee of the copyright holder, and while copyright infringement may not fit the strict definition of "theft" it is definitely fraud, which can extend to include theft, so it's basically splitting hairs

3) it's really hard to believe anything you say about "empathy" after reading all that autistic bleep-bloopy wank.

In summation: shut the fuck up.

Heres an idea...

why dont you just get delete all the piracy/whiny ass talk, and get back to the subject?????

End of the day i don't think its fair on Misha nor anyone else that this thread has stooped to such a level. Just rise above it and get rid of the off topic comments as its out of hand already.

:yesway:

Triple7

The Decepticon
Reaction score
Back on track, I just listened to Icarus Lives!, and I must say it sounds awesome! I am really looking forward to this album, and I am really curious about the Itunes only song. Hopefully I get the chance to purchase the double-disc special edition as well as the Itunes edition so I can have it all:yesway:

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
Ditto, man I've had *I'm neither angel nor a demon spawn* etc stuck in my head for 2 weeks now and this didn't help any.

cataclysm_child

SS.org UnRegular
Reaction score
I knew somebody was going to say that. I am doing online classes right now, so it is not a luxury. It is required for me to get an education.

edit, can't get a job because I am forced to constantly take care of my mother.

double edit, I am also eighteen. Not sure why that says 19.

Eat soup only for ONE day, like musicians do EVERY DAY and you can afford it :lol:

That new icarus lives track only confirm what I've believed for some time now. Perihery consist of cylons. You can clearly hear it's recorded by machines:nono:

drmosh

Sir Paul of the Mosh
Contributor
Reaction score
Eat soup only for ONE day, like musicians do EVERY DAY and you can afford it :lol:

That new icarus lives track only confirm what I've believed for some time now. Perihery consist of cylons. You can clearly hear it's recorded by machines:nono:

They're the final um, 6? :)

Latest posts

')