PERIPHERY - New song from our upcoming album is up on our NEW myspace layout!!

• Thread starter bulb
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

IamOthello

Reaction score
Thank you. I'm glad somebody said it. People like to tiptoe around that a lot. The whole 1-tone gutteral thing is more of an acquired skill than a talent. Think of it like this: Any girl is *technically* equipped to be able to deep throat, but it takes a special, talented chick to know what to do with her hands while she's doing it. That's how I see the 1-tone gutteral guys; It's like they're deep throating me without having the decency to cup my balls. Periphery cups my balls. :lol:

Exactly, I raged earlier in the thread of people calling the vocals "emo". It makes no sense. Screaming = hardly talent, Spencer's singing is rediculously skilled...

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
Apparently everyone has different definitions for the whole teeny bopper / emo thing :lol:

Think we should just let it be.

Irregardless the music is amazing, spencer sounds freaking great, and its nuts that periphery managed to fit vocals over some of these crazy riffs.

PeteyG

Big Bear
Reaction score
As far the mix goes, I think it's just right. I've listened to Light now on every form of speaker and headphone I own and I'm yet to find something I'm unhappy with.

As far as my opinion on the vocals sounding 'emo' or conventional in terms of note choice, I'm guessing a lot of the emo comment is coming from the sounds of vocal exertion, like little orgasmic groans after he sings a lot of the tougher bits (and I would be willing to bet that a large portion of guys who dislike these kinds of singing vocals are being made to feel uncomfortable by hearing guys making sex noise over a record :lol::lol:), either that or the slightly nasal quality about him (not in a bad way).

I think Spencers voice, and the note choices I have heard so far are absolutely phenomenal, and to be honest it all really shows an approach to the vocals which I would like to find in my own band, where even though the music is pretty confusing to the untrained ear, the vocals work as a guide to people who would be lost with one. Periphery are really shooting for success here, and goodness knows they deserve it, they've worked too hard for too long to not get somewhere.

includao

Banned
Reaction score
So you're entitled to steal because you're poor? Fuck you dude, seriously just fuck you. Especially when you're trying to justify stealing a debut album where sales are critical to whether a band continues with a label. Here's a tip, if you can afford a computer and internet, you can probably afford a cd so spare us.

It's not stealing something that takes virtually no effort to replicate. Go read on artificial scarcity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_scarcity

With computer software, no significant trade-off occurs. To produce more of a certain piece of digital information, since virtually no resources are used to copy the information there is no trade-off with the production of other things, like shoes and boots. In essence, problems of artificial scarcity usually arise when a good that was once scarce becomes abundant due to extreme increases in productivity and technology. [1]

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.
—George Bernard Shaw

Being an artist and profiting from it, nowadays, when you talk about music, is just AN EXCEPTION. You should adapt, GET A REAL JOB, go study, because you CAN'T beat the laws of physics or nature. It takes virtually zero time and zero effort to replicate digital information, therefore intellectual property is a lie in that scenario. Once it is out of people's brain, organized in bits, it has nothing to do with you who supposedly had the unmeasurable effort to allegedly create it. And scientifically, it's debatable if people own ideas. Even when the musical ideas are still inside their heads. That's philosophy with verifiable evidence, the rest is just a stupid, old, romanticized view that is slowing fading away in humanity culture. If you think you can have a job as a musician, get a time machine or cry. Or try to read some books to understand what is really plausible when it comes down to the idea of property.

I'm a computer engineer. I'm payed for a mensurable notion of time and effort. I can't say I own ideas and I accept that natural, inevitable condition. It's a scientifically verifiable fact. There is a moral obligation to pay for people's time. Time is the only thing you really own as a organism. The rest you can't really say you own, you are not entitled to say you own things that you didn't lose. You may say that you lose the opportunity to make money on ideas, but ideas are not something that you own.

Reaction score
As far as my opinion on the vocals sounding 'emo' or conventional in terms of note choice, I'm guessing a lot of the emo comment is coming from the sounds of vocal exertion, like little orgasmic groans after he sings a lot of the tougher bits (and I would be willing to bet that a large portion of guys who dislike these kinds of singing vocals are being made to feel uncomfortable by hearing guys making sex noise over a record :lol::lol:), either that or the slightly nasal quality about him (not in a bad way).

Dude, you described what I've been trying to say perfectly. I was using the word "whiny" but that didn't feel quite right. The word "nasal" had also come to mind, but that word just sounded really negative (Even more-so than "whiny" in my mind.).

includao

Banned
Reaction score
The term "emo" was definitely used very loosely and I think what people were trying to say is that the vocals melodies are too simple/conventional in contrast to the music. And I agree with that. What with the vocal mix being higher than anything else and the vocals being the most simplified thing in the songs, it really takes away from the genius of the songs.

yes, the vocals and the melodies are too contrasting with the complexity of the instrumental.

protest the hero vocals, for example, are slight off-beat but they try to approach it in a complex way.

i think the vocals in that light song were floating around

DDDorian

Mantis Toboggan, M.D
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Jesus christ. Bulb has given away countless dozens of songs for free and virtually dictated the taste of this entire board since he showed up yet you people still manage to find ways to complain about paying a dollar for an extra song or come up with elaborate justifications for not paying for his album:noplease: Seriously, what the fuck?

I don't wanna close this thread because Bulb and Periphery deserve the hype (not that they need it around here, but still...) so I'm just gonna start banning anyone from this point forward who has the audacity to try and validate not paying for the new Periphery album (and in his own goddamn release thread, of all places).

:squint: x n

Customisbetter

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Contributor
Reaction score
I will buy it in as many forms as possible. kinda like i did with Paulie's album. :wub:

and whether or not you agree on downloading is morally wrong, SAYING YOU ARE STEALING IT TO THE FACE OF THE ARTIST IS FUCKING ABSURD.

Different topic:

Bulb, I'm going to buy an assload of shirts on Friday. Be prepared. :lol:

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
Dude, you described what I've been trying to say perfectly. I was using the word "whiny" but that didn't feel quite right. The word "nasal" had also come to mind, but that word just sounded really negative (Even more-so than "whiny" in my mind.).

Ditto.

wannabguitarist

Contributor
Reaction score
17 days:scream:. When are the pre-order options coming out?

*text and stuff*

I'm a bit confused on the part about being an artist and profiting and what-not. Are you saying that it's not stealing because it's so easy for the record companies to replicate the information or because it's so easy for normal people to get a hold of the information for free (then replicate it themselves and distribute it)? So back when people bought vinyls instead of CDs their musical ideas were intellectual property but now because they're so easy to reproduce and distribute they're not? I really think you need to elaborate on this point because it makes no sense:scratch:

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
It makes perfect sense, but it doesn't justify what he wants it to.

Hes saying because your not actually physically stealing anything (periphery or anyone is not losing anything data is just being copied which uses no resources so nothing is stolen) that its ok.

That and that there really isn't ownership of ideas such as a song which would be a musical idea. You cant own an idea.

Its all correct and makes perfect sense, but it doesn't make it any less stealing. Its just viewing something in a certain way to justify the speakers argument but it really has no validity in a situation like music piracy.

Customisbetter

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Contributor
Reaction score
INTERESTING FACT

Circa Survive's new record comes out on 4/20, which was previously named D Day for Periphery awesomeness and is now titled "DAY OF EPIC AWESOMENESS". There are so many awesome records coming out. i just preordered Circa's. :yesway:

Eptaceros

Wayfarer
Reaction score
Simple vocals? Those vocals are so hard and skilled.. :scream:

Much harder then just screaming it all. News flash metal heads - Screaming doesn't really take heaps of talent.

I don't really know why you brought up the screaming vocals aspect, because I was only referring to the clean. I'm a fan of clean vocals, but just as with everything else, there are big distinctions even in that category alone.

I do agree on the fact that singing like that takes skill, because his tone is not something that's easily achieved. However, the melodies that he sings, sound like they come from a conventional three-chord song. Now that doesn't mean it's necessarily bad, it's just not my cup of tea. I feel like the simple melodies of the vocals degrade that which he beautifully sings over.

/2 cents

bulb

Reaction score
wow, all it took was one show with godforbid and kittie for this thread to get serious haha!!

Eptaceros

Wayfarer
Reaction score
helloseriousbusiness3am.jpg

Prydogga

Giddyup.
Reaction score
Screw seriousness in this thread, we want more 420 jokes! Seriously though, I don't think the thread of Periphery releasing their album and this new track is the place to bicker about their god damn Vocals!

"Hey, here's my great NGD!"
"That guitar looks shit as!"

Seriously people can you not read who the OP was?

/Rant and/or Bad mood.

Anyways, Bulb I just discovered OMNOM today, and you are now my favorite person ever! Haunted,Periphery and OMNOM are just too awesome! Can't wait for more HS stuff as well as this album. I saw one of the HS tracks disappeared from Myspace... Does this mean vocals on it soon? :wub:

Jesus christ. Bulb has given away countless dozens of songs for free and virtually dictated the taste of this entire board since he showed up yet you people still manage to find ways to complain about paying a dollar for an extra song or come up with elaborate justifications for not paying for his album:noplease: Seriously, what the fuck?

I don't wanna close this thread because Bulb and Periphery deserve the hype (not that they need it around here, but still...) so I'm just gonna start banning anyone from this point forward who has the audacity to try and validate not paying for the new Periphery album (and in his own goddamn release thread, of all places).

:squint: x n

:agreed: Solid move, seriously, I'm not rich by any means, but I'm still getting 2 T's and the new hoodie soon, and 2 versions of the album.

')