Photography Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
Here are a couple others I dug. Not sure if they're worthy or Flickr or not yet. :lol:

We tried taking some long exposures of skipping stones, but my buddy has an insanely old Rebel with a tiny screen and no live view, so I have no idea how it went haha. I tried doing as fast a shutter speed as I could in the low light and used the 7fps to try and freeze some skipping. A few of them turned out pretty good but this one really stuck out for some reason. I then apparently thought it would be a good idea to make it look like it came from a Holga. :lol:

Tang

Master of Chihuahuas
Reaction score
I'm taking a 12 hour break from posting more shots, but more I have.

A lot of great shots on that last page.

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Hopefully no one minds car photos, as it's the only time I really take pride in what I'm doing with a camera. First photo was with my phone when I first moved to Vegas. The rest I took with a friend's camera while I was living in Colorado. Yes, I find my car photogenic! :fawk:

f7v5.jpg

4ebu.jpg

jubn.jpg

vqye.jpg

oppm.jpg

Tang

Master of Chihuahuas
Reaction score
Some nice shots there, Joose. I shot a car yesterday. Sort of!

13921079221_72f415fd7b_b.jpg

EDIT: couldn't make it 12 hours without posting. :(

Whammy

Reaction score
Well I've missed a lot over here in the photography section. Gonna take a while to go through all the old posts.

The baby is talking up a lot of time at the moment. And now my fiancee is in the hospital with a sever case of appendicitis. She's going to be in there for a while recovering.

In the meantime I'm on my own looking after the new born.

Here is the only photo I took in the last month.

13899305915_a09f66538b_c.jpg

Tang

Master of Chihuahuas
Reaction score
How do you guys feel about taking pictures of children in populated public places? I saw an awesome scene unfolding yesterday and before I could think twice I raised my camera and got this shot:

13921078141_06f9f26ab4_b.jpg

On the one hand I can understand why parents would defensive, but on the other.. I am on public property. I probably looked like a profession photographer (2 bodies and a speedlite) so people didn't think twice. Anyways, I'm rambling at this point but I wanted to get y'all's opinion.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
The thing with children is you have to be prepared for two things:

1. Did you just take a photo of my child?
2. Why?

Answer either incorrectly you could get yourself in trouble, I avoid it, not suggesting you should though.

Tang

Master of Chihuahuas
Reaction score
The thing with children is you have to be prepared for two things:

1. Did you just take a photo of my child?
2. Why?

Answer either incorrectly you could get yourself in trouble, I avoid it, not suggesting you should though.

I generally avoid it to, but if asked I would tell them I was shooting for a local magazine (which is true) and show them the shot. If they were uncomfortable I would delete the shot.

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
Apparently I missed a killer sunset tonight. :noway: I saw a hint of it from my living room window and booked it down to the water, but I was a bit late and picked a bad spot. I didn't get any keepers from that, but I moved a few blocks down and found a nicer spot, just before a freighter drove by. :yesway: I wish I'd done a faster exposure so the freighter lights popped more, but I'm still pumped that I got this. Next time I'll plan ahead and make sure I'm by the bridge before the sun goes down.

Freighter in transit by philbabbey, on Flickr

Tang

Master of Chihuahuas
Reaction score
Took this ladybug shot on my phone yesterday at work. Funny enough I had my Pentax with me but I figured if I went inside to grab the camera the bug would be gone.

13951749633_f265c581c1_b.jpg

The iPhone definitely has decent close focusing ability though it takes some practice.

Taking a break from posting art bullshit. Have some street!

13931855931_2a3d31e31b_b.jpg

13944255023_04d29790f2_b.jpg

13921094356_33b320a0ce_b.jpg

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score

Tang

Master of Chihuahuas
Reaction score
Rook: I like those. Especially Family Time. Love that composition!

How do you feel about my street shots above?

P.s. check out this 3d pop! Microcontrast! Fairy dust lens coating! Pretty badass composition too :fawk:

13963748574_4d7d062ea9_b.jpg

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Damn guys. Just caught up on the last 10 pages or so and there is so much good stuff in this thread. I haven't shot anything in a while but I went away last week and got a few I like. Think I'm definitely going to have to look into postprocessing beyond the standard few slider adjustments though! The character in some of the shots posted here is amazing.
A good number of mine turned out really crap for reasons I cannot tell, however :( Bad colour or awful softness even though I was outdoors on super fast shutter speeds with careful focusing at all times! This happens fairly frequently haha. Will post soon :)

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score

Tang

Master of Chihuahuas
Reaction score
Some nice shots. My preliminary favorite is trees, but I'll C&C when I'm not on my phone!

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Thanks! All were taken on my 600D with Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 (aside from the cow, Samyang 8mm). I'm not sure how much sticking with a zoom is hurting image quality, but I must say I think that's my thing. I can't imagine having had to change lenses when walking around on that holiday (Wiltshire, UK btw). Process at the moment is: Spot a shot, walk while adjusting zoom to find desired perspective, then zoom to find desired framing. I can't imagine trying to do this with primes haha. I guess you just get used to knowing what to pull out, but it would have been a real nuisance for me I think. Hoping to move to fullframe with a 24-70 at some point though I do think I'll miss having that extra on the end (112mm equivalent). Really comes in handy sometimes. The focusing distance on this lens is also pretty absurd - almost touching the glass at 70mm which is great for shots like the ladybug. The only thing I dislike about my current setup is that this lens is kinda too slow for indoors most of the time. A camera with better high ISO would be nice but I'm yet to try noise removal in post to be honest!

Khoi

Reaction score
Nice shots, definitely digging the cow nose one.

Some of the shots are a tad underexposed for my liking, and the vignette is a little too radial and strong for my tastes as well. I typically try to extend the vingette a little farther in the frame and make it thinner to remove that circle-y look to it, I don't really like the rounded edges on them. Try to make it a little more gradual with the fade.

In he cow shot, the top left corner throws it off for me. There's a lot of artifacting in the clouds there, it's a bit unnatural with the whites of the cloud blowing out all of a sudden. That may have happened in your curve adjustment layer, so I'd take a look at that. You could also consider using some spot adjustment and just lowering the exposure to match the other clouds in the sky.

The boat/river/sun shot is really nice too, I really enjoy it. I just wish there was a little bit more exposure and detail on the boat, but other than that, the mood, composition, and colors are great.

Latest posts

')