Photography Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
I'm waiting for my dad to get a new camera so I can use his 5D2; tedious AF, weighs a tonne, needs huge lenses, takes those waste of time compact flash cards, but probably the best video camera you can get under a grand.

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
I love the weight and feel of it - can't say anything about the AF. I wouldn't wanna walk around with that and a 24-70 for street haha but I could totally live with the 5D2 and primes. The 70D might be a bit smaller, but if some stranger sees me holding either I doubt they'd be less scared of the 70D or even notice a difference, and the feel and extra space on the 5D are excellent.

In other news: Helped with another shoot today. Didn't take any photos, but I'm comfortable with speedlites now, and got to use a reflector and LED light box. I can't wait to start getting some lights.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
I'd partly agree that for street, the intimidation factor between the 70D and the 5D2 wouldn't be massive, though you'd be surprised. Appearing to be pointing around obviously pro looking gear compared to the 70 which looks no different to a 600 which everyone and their aunt owns some variant of... In London, a 70/600 looking thing would make anyone look like a tourist because it's what all the tourists have, I did honestly notice myself being checked out more with a 6D and fast prime, particularly when pulling it up to my eye than I did using the 600 I was beforehand.

However, the difference between that and in particular my X-Pro - the difference is much more significant. Most people think the X-Pro is some toy, hipsterific film camera and I can get significantly more intimate and close shots with it than I can even the X-T and particularly any DSLR variant.

I'm not a hardliner who loves to go round justifying decisions I've made when it comes to gear; I can see the merit in anything to a degree, be it a full frame DSLR, half frame mirrorless, a 6x6 TLR or even an iPhone but when it comes down to intimidation on the street I'd say yes there is a difference in perception between something like a 70 and a bigger pro body like the 6/5D though it's nothing like as between any DSLR and a rangefinder or to a lesser extent another small mirrorless.

Unless you want to do tele street shooting in excess of 50mm (135 eq), in which case you can get away with a friggin 1D or whatever because the people noticing you aren't in the frame. People do get rather more annoyed about it if you're trying to keep your distance though, weirdly. I've been challenged with my 6D and 85 and if people feel like you're trying to hide, they assume there's a reason. With the rangefinder and 18 (pancake, 27mm eq) people will look straight at me shooting them and just be like 'what the... ah whatever' heh.

As I say, depends what you wanna do. Smaller counts for a lot if you intend to be in the thick of it, though, as far as my experience goes.

Tang

Master of Chihuahuas
Reaction score
I wish I could shoot street sometimes, but Houston-it's just too massive.

Beltway 8 - Imgur

Jacksonville is the same way, man! Just too damn big. That's why I usually only shoot street at events or when I drive down to St. Augustine. That place is always packed with people which makes practice easy.

Most of the time I'll camp out and a busy section of sidewalk and just wait. I think I've posted this before, but it's from st austustine so it's relevant :)

13574105495_2603a0571d_b.jpg

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
There's supposed to be a monster storm here this evening, so I'm gonna try and shoot it. I'm really hoping it happens after dark so I can drive down to the lake and try and catch some lightning.

Tang

Master of Chihuahuas
Reaction score
So today I drove 40 minutes down to st. augustine to shoot some street. I get there and wandered around aimlessly and I just wasn't feeling it. I was almost back to my car when I told myself, "quit being a little bitch. you're not to get better if you don't shoot."

Activate Plan B. Headphones: check. Meshuggah's Obzen at loud volume: check.

Guys, I'm so glad I forced myself to go out and shoot because I got some kickass shots, imo. Can't wait to get home and work on them.

TL;DR don't be a bitch. shoot because you love to shoot.

Tang

Master of Chihuahuas
Reaction score
Spent way too recording a 3 minute ambient jam that it took me forever to get these shots. No fear!

Normally, I really don't like taking pictures of anyone that looks homeless, but something about how this shot unfolded just drew me in. Slower shutter speed used on purpose.

14168967853_92dfeb05c3_b.jpg

Cool dude.

13962231457_dbb6182176_b.jpg

Met this cool guy practicing on the river and after I took this shot I had small chat with him. Dude could play.

13962231817_db86106f33_b.jpg

EDIT: the ambient jam if anyone is curious. Ibanez hollowbody to iPhone and that's it. I love technology. http://soundcloud.com/nrrfed/pirate-chihuahua/s-1A27u

Tang

Master of Chihuahuas
Reaction score
First world Canon problems. :fawk: :) 16x9 works well for that shot. Nicely done, Phil.

EDIT: trying to get away from all my shots having the subject perpindicular to the lens. It feels way more challenging to get compositions this way.

13962233447_1db481740f_b.jpg

Tang

Master of Chihuahuas
Reaction score
Since it's been over 24 hours without another post I will post more. I went out last night with the goal of shooting some kickass b&w shots.

Crazy contrast self- portrait. I shot this into the side of a building and used the reflection to take the shot.

14153459961_2da60b6d0e_b.jpg

I thought this shot was so ....ing cool. It almost looks the reflection of the statue is a dark, grim reaper version of himself. The light pole even looks like a staff. Proud of this one.

13969874438_cf8b96c8dd_b.jpg

I don't think shot needs explanation, but it shows how damn good Pentax is at low-light these days. My favorite shot of 2014 so far. Kinda wish I had my film body for this one.

13970125218_b1bfa4684a_b.jpg

Joe Harvatt

Reaction score
Tang, your stuff is great!

Here's a shot I took of my rig with new cab earlier. I used my £10 manual Sigma 28mm 2.8 - there's a fair bit of distortion but I really like the way it renders tones (the lens, not the cab).

14157249132_097e30f252_b.jpg

')