Photography Thread

Skyblue

Reaction score
Barely had time to shoot anything lately.

10306260_10206017433341855_5056397944624368804_n.jpg

Phone pic, processed in VSCO.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TasmanSam

Reaction score

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
Everybody seen the 5DS?

Does anybody care?

My only interest is if my dad gets one, then I can pinch his 5D2 and use some canon lenses for stuff every now and again. 50 megapixels on a sensor that small is too damn high!

Negav

Reaction score
About to pull the trigger on a Nikon D5200 kit to begin my journey into photography. Any other brand/model I should check out before buying?

ThePhilosopher

Reason User
Reaction score
I agree Rook, 50MP is ok for MF (I wish they'd work on a cost-efficient 4x5 sized sensor). I'm looking at these used H3D and H4D I keep seeing for sale and think I need to snag one.

Last edited:

Whammy

Reaction score
50MP on a full frame camera is a little silly. Thankfully the 5DS is not the successor to the 5DMKIII

Would be nice to see the MKIV stay in a sensible MP range but with meaningful improvements in every other area. I'm hoping Canon can live up to my expectations for the MKIII successor. If not then I'll start looking at changing systems.

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
My only interest is if my dad gets one, then I can pinch his 5D2 and use some canon lenses for stuff every now and again. 50 megapixels on a sensor that small is too damn high!

Technically, it's the same pixel pitch as the 70D and 7D2. ;)

My opinion: meh. If I was a working photographer and shot Canons then I could see it being nice to have one sitting around for when I wanted massive resolution, especially for something like fashion. As much as I love my Fuji, there are still times I think it would be nice to have an SLR in addition to the X-T1 (I'm looking at you, D750), but when the 5Ds was announced I had no desire to even check one out.

More options never hurt, and I can see where it could be useful, but it doesn't do anything for me.

I think 24MP is the sweet spot for me. Growing up on 12MP and shooting seriously with 20, I notice the little bump in detail with 24, but the file sizes are still reasonable. I'm happy with the 16 of the X-T1, but when the time comes for me to replace it, if there's a 24MP option that doesn't sacrifice dynamic range or high ISO performance, I'd go for that.

flint757

Reaction score
50MP on a full frame camera is a little silly. Thankfully the 5DS is not the successor to the 5DMKIII

Would be nice to see the MKIV stay in a sensible MP range but with meaningful improvements in every other area. I'm hoping Canon can live up to my expectations for the MKIII successor. If not then I'll start looking at changing systems.

Are you sure? Almost everything I've read thus far indicates that this may be the mkIV. There was rumor of them going higher resolution to get the camera 4k ready. I'm not quite certain the logic behind that since my camera has only 16mp and shoots quality 4k.

I'd personally be scared of how huge those files probably are. I'd be curious to know if they got the mp count that high and retained DR and high ISO performance. I doubt it personally and those things are far more useful for a videographer than higher resolution.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
Technically, it's the same pixel pitch as the 70D and 7D2. ;)

That in my opinion is a bad thing! The smaller the pixel, the smaller the intrinsic sensor ISO, the more you're essentially 'push processing' the files to get light into them and thus the more detail and dynamic range you lose and the more noise you introduce as the amount of light you're getting onto the sensor goes down.

If I were a fashion photographer, I'd want dynamic range all day long - a 16mpx full frame sensor or digital medium format. Same for weddings in fact.

If Fuji made an 8mpx low light and dynamic range master camera, I'd use it for 75% of my work, and everything for web - I bet the files would be actually life changing haha. I just don't need these outrageous resolutions. I even bought a medium format film setup for the few jobs I've had where I thought I might need it, but I'm yet to actually put it to good use haha. Maybe this year I'll finally get something that needs big prints and I can pretend my Hasselblad was money well spent hahaha.

Also, Canon have done this before. The 1D's for a while were split into 1D and 1DS, which had differing specs, and each one was updated on alternate years - one was full frame and slower, the other a speed demon. Now they've merged the lined again with the 1DX, which is both full frame and a speed demon haha.

And yeah, I don't know why you'd need more sensor resolution for 4k video, that has no logic...

flint757

Reaction score
Well, the whole MP race has never had much logic to it either. :lol:

Most of the cameras out there with ridiculously high MP count are cameras you'd never use to print giant pictures typically in the first place.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
I quite agree - bigger print = bigger format for me.

The leaf Aptus backs are actually affordable used these days, a painfully tempting proposition... They need to hurry up an make a full frame medium format sensor that isn't £15,000...

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
Are you sure? Almost everything I've read thus far indicates that this may be the mkIV. There was rumor of them going higher resolution to get the camera 4k ready. I'm not quite certain the logic behind that since my camera has only 16mp and shoots quality 4k.

I'd personally be scared of how huge those files probably are. I'd be curious to know if they got the mp count that high and retained DR and high ISO performance. I doubt it personally and those things are far more useful for a videographer than higher resolution.

Canon's specifically said the 5Ds isn't a 5D3 replacement. :) The 5D4 is expected to be announced about midway this year. They say in their 5Ds rundown video that it sits alongside the regular 5D model.

You pretty much answered your own question about 4K video. 4K is only about 12MP. We have a 5k Retina iMac in at work, and about a 14MP photo will fill that display pixel-for-pixel.

The Sony A7s was designed with 4K in mind, and AFAIK is supposed to be the best stills camera for shooting 4K, and it's 12MP. I don't think the 5Ds is really designed for video, but they just included it to not totally cripple the camera.

Like I said, if dynamic range and high ISO performance are decent (the D800 is great at high ISO so that doesn't have me too worried, but being Canon I'd worry about the dynamic range), I can see there being a place for this camera, especially for working photographers who don't want to sink $40k+ on a single camera, or photographers who want the speed of an SLR. But the 5Ds is a very niche product.

I'm interested to see what dynamic range is like. After working with Nikon files, I was really blown away by the difference in DR compared to Canon. If Canon doesn't catch up soon, or start using Sony sensors, it'll be interesting to see where they go as a company.

flint757

Reaction score
It'll certainly be interesting. I'm curious as well about the DR of it. At 50mp I don't expect it to be Earth shattering good that's for sure.

JeffFromMtl

Уродливый, но честны
Reaction score
Ok, well I didn't make good on my promise to shoot something with my new prime cuz it's just too fvcking cold out and I haven't been taking my camera anywhere.

Either way, I DID get to shoot this with it. It's a little preview of where I'll be doing my next shoot. The photo is cropped a bit so I'll just go ahead and tell you guys it's another 50mm. Given how much I loved the Sigma 30mm when I shot on a crop sensor, I decided to go the Sigma route again with the 50mm 1.4 art lens. It's sharp like nobody's business... not that my style really demands it, but I'm a huge fan of these new Sigma lenses none the less. Optics aside, they're really nicely built and the AF is snappy as hell.

15850518623_1dbbdefb53_b.jpg

However, I do seem to be having an issue with my 6D lately. The focus has been incredibly indecisive. Sometime's it'll hunt for a few seconds before focusing, and even more frustratingly, it quite often will hunt and hunt and then just give up when it can't decide on a point to use. If I select a single AF point, it'll still snap right to it, it's just when I'm using all AF points. I thought at first that it was a lens thing, but it's been an issue with all of them. Do any of you guys know what might be causing this?

feilong29

Reaction score
Had a mini shoot for a friend who's daughter turned 3. This shoot made me fall in love with portrait photography all over again, and now I've decided to sell the 35mm and upgrade to the 56mm. I think I'll be set with a 18mm and 56mm. Here are a few samples:

16292587089_f9f8c400b3_h.jpg

16477878272_38c2d4d027_h.jpg

mikemueller2112

Reaction score
I'm hoping with the release of the 5Ds that the price comes down a bit on the 5DmkIII. Wouldn't mind upgrading my MKII.

Spent some time out in Banff on the weekend. Few shots from the rainy Friday:
54Rl1EO.jpg

onvfF8H.jpg

RCzFZBe.jpg

zTLgEdR.jpg

Azyiu

Triad Hitman
Reaction score
I am pretty happy with what my 5D3 can offer as it, and at this point I have zero interest in upgrading to the 5Ds.

Taylor

Formerly... someone
Reaction score
First time posting in this thread. Took some shots of the corals in my saltwater tank. Not the best pictures but I think they aren't too terrible. :lol:

IMG_7474_zps429d888e.jpg

IMG_7465_zpseec14d7c.jpg

IMG_7533_zpsfdd8d5c1.jpg

Latest posts

')