Photography Thread

Tyler

Reaction score
Tried a 24-70 2.8 today and maybe I borrowed a fluke but it would never give me any signal of it being in focus. Almost all my shots were out of focus and the motor was making a weird sound. This is the only one I found optimal from the whole day

16419559888_95fe0e1cf3_o.jpg

As for my 50mm 1.8, its just been strange because I get a lot of noise even at ISO100 and its not incredibly sharp. I dont think it would be my body though.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Tang

Master of Chihuahuas
Reaction score
I need more Iceland pics.

Film pics. Also, you think the Sigma is too sterile? I did notice the shots took a bit more 'oomph' in post, but it didn't really bother me. Granted, this was with the 17-35 f/1.8 but I imagine the performance between the three are very similar.

And here is more of my shit.

name goes here by nrrfed, on Flickr

IMGP8331 by nrrfed, on Flickr

IMGP8409 by nrrfed, on Flickr

and this with a special appearence by Phil

light by nrrfed, on Flickr

capoeiraesp

Reaction score
The Sigma 50mm 1.4 ART is a nice lens, that's for sure. It's quick and sharp but there's really not much character to it. I sold mine and still much prefer the 35mm 1.4 mainly because I like that 35mm perspective.

I got to play with a supremely nice old FD 50mm f 0.95 yesterday. Good god that lens has some character.
11021195_795342577248697_3433967755059358583_n.jpg

flint757

Reaction score
As for my 50mm 1.8, its just been strange because I get a lot of noise even at ISO100 and its not incredibly sharp. I dont think it would be my body though.

Post an example?

When I still had mine it was defective. My 7D wouldn't always recognize it and the auto-focus got stuck every now and then.

Tyler

Reaction score
Post an example?

When I still had mine it was defective. My 7D wouldn't always recognize it and the auto-focus got stuck every now and then.

This would be a pretty good example I think. They just seem kind of grainy when I zoom farther in to edit, but when looking at similar examples of other shots I never see the same thing.

15694267863_9224ec8b1a_o.jpg

aciek_l

Reaction score
Friend's band concert yesterday, small club, bad light, but quite a lot of fun, as I have very little time for photography nowadays. :(
IMG_9399.jpg

IMG_9406.jpg

IMG_9450.jpg

IMG_9525.jpg

IMG_9534.jpg

IMG_9551.jpg

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
So that school presentation thing went alright. Head office had a pretty unrealistic shot list - mostly candid shots of students in classrooms and during the event, which the school wouldn't allow. There were only three or four kids whose parents' had signed consent forms for photos. I also got pretty much no time to work. :noway: The school principal was shooting for the local paper, and took everything on her iPhone, and didn't think I needed more than one shot of anything and rushed the whole thing. :nuts:

One of the requirements was an exterior shot of the school. This is one of the first landscape shots I've actually taken with the X-T1, and took this with the 18mm. The detail is great, but I can't believe the dynamic range on this thing. I don't think it would stand up to a full frame Nikon sensor, but it absolutely destroys my old Canon files. I've been trying to make landscape shots look natural without making them look like HDR, and this seems to do a great job of it. I pushed the shadows somewhere around +100 to keep the entryway from looking like a black hole, and it still looks great. My 70D would have left a noisy mess.

School by philbabbey, on Flickr

Decreate

Reaction score
Just got the Sony A7II a couple of days ago, really enjoy playing around with it. Here's a few I took with the Nippon Kogaku 50mm f1.4 lens

15963743624_a258e7d83f_c.jpg

15963743074_0d61260d17_c.jpg

16417586439_100b28eecf_c.jpg

Tang

Master of Chihuahuas
Reaction score
I really like that last one, man. :yesway:

it was a recreation of one of the very first shots I took with my first Pentax body, with the kit lens. It's actually the very first shot I ever uploaded to flickr, too! It's almost the exact same focal length (37mm @ f/6.3) but the processing is, uh, pretty lacking. I'm fairly certain that was shot in .jpg.

Ramona and her crazy ear-hair. by nrrfed, on Flickr

EDIT: actually, it looks like it was shot in RAW, but with ZERO adjustments made.. obviously I had no idea what I was doing! It's just very flat.

JeffFromMtl

Уродливый, но честны
Reaction score
I shot a buddy today out on the lake. Man, processing photos with snow sucks, I can't wait for spring. :lol:

Everything about winter sucks for taking photos. Actually everything about winter sucks for everything. Unless I have paid work or specific projects, I don't do shit with my camera in the winter. I think I need to move somewhere warmer.

soliloquy

Reaction score
contemplating picking up either of these lens for my pentax k5 body:
sigma 10-20mm f3.5
sigma 10-20mm F4.0-5.6
pentax 20-40mm f/2.8-4

the pros for the pentax is that it is weather and dust sealed, like my k5. thus it is more versatile in a sense. it is on the lighter side in terms of weight. and all metal construction. though pricey. and mixed reviews. though HD is a cool aspect, its sharpness, going from reviews, is a hit and miss.

the sigmas are not weather sealed. the 3.5 is a constant 3.5 that stays through the range, which i think is pretty cool. though it is pricey comparing to its counterpart. the 3.5 is a little sharper too than the 4-5.6 as well.
the sigma that is f4-5.6 is a little on the heavy side.

current lenses i do have are 18-135mm WR pentax (my walk-around lens) and my 50mm prime 1.8f pentax lens i use from time to time. fun lil guy.

trying to get more into landscape and night photography. so i'm kinda leaning more towards the 10-20mm f3.5 lens.

would you guys suggest anything else?

Tang

Master of Chihuahuas
Reaction score
Philospher: I actually had a color temp program turned on on my laptop when I was processing those shots. I just looked at them on my phone and you're exactly right. Way too green.

solio: pick up the sigma 10-20 3.5. You've already got the 20-40mm covered, and while the 20-40 might be sharper I'd be more inclined to get a focal length I don't already own. That Sigma is pretty calm good too.

')