Piccolo Snare for Blasting?

• Thread starter brutalslam
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm looking to get a piccolo snare that will give me a high pitched crack, good for
blastbeats in death metal/grind. I've narrowed it down to these 2.

Pearl M-80 (10x4)
Pearl Pearl M-80 Snare Drum: Shop Drums & Percussion & Other Musical Instruments | Musician's Friend

Mapex Steel Piccolo (13x3.5)
Mapex Steel Piccolo Snare Drum: Shop Drums & Percussion & Other Musical Instruments | Musician's Friend

What will the sound difference be with the Pearl being a 10 inch?

The pearl isn't labeled a piccolo, but at that size that would be what it is right?

Thanks.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
I don't know if it is a piccolo. It's small enough in width, but it's a little deeper than most piccolos I've seen.

Reaction score
I don't know if it is a piccolo. It's small enough in width, but it's a little deeper than most piccolos I've seen.

True. So, I'm not sure which one would give a better sound.

CTID

Pondering My Orb
Reaction score
^ This. 10" is a bit too small imo, and steel has much more of a high-pitched crack than poplar does.

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I was also talking to somebody about trading for a Tama maple piccolo.

ShadowFactoryX

OMNIHILITY
Reaction score
10"s are commonly referred to as "popcorn" snares because its all pop. not a lot of volume, power or articulation. good for drum and bass, but not metal i'd say

one of my favorites is the Pearl brass 13x3 piccolo, look into it

Morax

Trve Kvlt
Reaction score
^ This. 10" is a bit too small imo, and steel has much more of a high-pitched crack than poplar does.

I Agree 100%. Personally I like to use a wood snare for the standard beat and blast on a steel snare, it provides a more pronounced crack and makes the blasts really stand out.

I would reccomend the Mapex.

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I ended up going with the Mapex steel piccolo. It's on backorder, but hopefully ill get it soon.

end

Reaction score
try some pearl piccollo later on, and check the diference i am using a pearl picollo and i dont regret it, because the sounds is perfect for high sounds.

siddha

Reaction score
A 10" main snare is only permitted if you're in a Napalm Death cover band. I'd go for a 13" with a steel shell.

CruzDrum

Reaction score
the ten is going to be just as loud s the thirteen,it just depends on how high pitched you want your snare to be.keep in mind tuning and head choice plays a big role,im using a 13x3.5 steel snare with a remo ambassador over diplomat tuned pretty high and its just earshattering,its great for "loud" ghostnotes

ShadowFactoryX

OMNIHILITY
Reaction score
the ten is going to be just as loud s the thirteen,it just depends on how high pitched you want your snare to be.keep in mind tuning and head choice plays a big role,im using a 13x3.5 steel snare with a remo ambassador over diplomat tuned pretty high and its just earshattering,its great for "loud" ghostnotes

wrong, the only way a 10 will be louder is if its a 20 ply shell, with 4 2" vents in it...

plus the OP already got the 13x3

Reaction score
Kevin's a great drummer :metal:. I mostly just play guitar, but I play drums a little, mostly just because I like playing blastbeats :lol:.

Weimat01

Reaction score
I don't think a piccolo is necessity for a high pitched crack, you can just tighten up the head (make the pitch higher) and the wires (to make have more of a crack). A shallower drum would probably help though i'd recommend a 14 x 5.5 to give more options than a piccolo and cut through a bit more in a band situation. But that being said you could probably find a piccolo thats perfect for what you want. I recommend just having a play on as many snares as you can.

end

Reaction score
i have the pearl piccolo steel, and i think is more what you're looking for a death metal band, i haven't tried the mapex though, but you should, try both so you can be sure in your decision and tell us what you think. :cool:

Latest posts

')