Pick an Album to Re-record

• Thread starter Nanker Phelge
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Concerto412

Aeternae Sonus
Reaction score
King Diamond’s THEM - while ‘Abigail’s production can be an acquired taste, it’s pretty crisp and overall balanced, and frequently finds its way back into my regular rotation. ‘Them’ is always a disappointment, managing to sound both muddy and thin. Attempts to compensate with system EQ inevitably increases either harshness or murkiness.

Go Off! And Speed Metal Symphony without Pete Marrino’s anguished vocals would be worth a listen, for sure.

Smoke & Mirrors, Lynch Mob circa 2010, some of Lynch’s most coherent modern output, but the whole album sounds like it’s buried under a sheet of felt. Woolen rhythm guitars, drums lacking girth, vocals never seem to blend quite right, sitting mostly on top of the mix.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
Only Symphony X with outright bad production is their first album, MAYBE Damnation Game, but after that they sound fine; and the only album I've heard people claim Michael's tone to sound bad on is "The Odyssey", which I think was the first with the Vetta over the Madisons, and pre-ENGL which he started using the album after and still does.
As great an album as V is (Communion and the Oracle is probably my favorite SX tune), the rhythm guitar somehow sounds... I don't know if muddy is the right word because it still has definition, but it sounds like you're hearing it through a thick plate of plexiglass or something.

neurosis

Reaction score
I'd love to get Focus re-recorded to sound like Humanoid. The guitars are so damn mushy.
Check out re-focus (https://cyniconline.bandcamp.com/album/refocus) You may like it better, although I think they took the edge of the guitars even more.

IMO Focus sounded nice. It felt more organic and open than the latter recordings, where the guitars sound more compressed. Overall the tracks sound maybe more balanced but also more controlled. Focus sounds more exciting, like a band in a room to me.

Either way killer band so I don't care either way :D

gnoll

Reaction score
All of the Velvet Underground's discography...

...In the sense that I would've made sure i didnt hit record while any of it was happening

What the hell, why? They were great, and hugely influential. That's like saying you wish Black Sabbath didn't exist or something. Total nonsense.

mlp187

Burrito Master
Contributor
Reaction score
Exmortus - Slave to the Sword
Holy hell that album is heavily bass drum and lead guitar focused. A lot of that great riffage gets lost or is difficult to decipher IMO. Great album though.

Zer01

Reaction score
Pantera - Far Beyond Driven. I would also get rid of the songs and write better ones.

gh0styboi

Everybody Poops
Reaction score
I think it'd be dope to see Korn - Life Is Peachy redone - but not in the way that's being suggested here. Since we're taking flights of fancy, I'd want all the original performances and tracks/takes, but run through modern production. That album would sound fucking huge if it was done today, but I wouldn't want to change any of the actual takes. Too much machining and a thing loses its soul.

But none of this brick wall, super compressed sausage bar shit. When a song goes from a heavy chorus to a cleaner verse and all the dynamics (whatever dynamics manage to survive, anyway) stay the same, it drives me up a wall...

KailM

Reaction score
Ulver’s Nattens Madrigal (I doubt many SSO members have listened to it).

It has the most horrendous black metal production of them all, perhaps. But the riffs and songwriting are amazing.

I don’t need or want modern production, by any means — but their previous album, Bergtatt, sounded great.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
I'm picking a different band to re-record the album because that's way more fun. These would all be rad.

The Cure - Disintegration, re-recorded by Year of No Light

Third Eye Blind - S/T, re-recorded by Torche (I also want them to do The Blue Album, but S/T takes clear precedence)

Coldplay - Parachutes, re-recorded by Deafheaven

Smash Mouth - Fush Yu mang, re-recorded by Melvins

Iron Maiden - Brave New World, re-recorded by Dinosaur, Jr

Backstreet Boys - Backstreet's Back, re-recorded by Neutral Milk Hotel

At the Gates - Slaughter of the Soul, re-recorded by Lightning Bolt

Valdra

Reaction score
In order of most important to less important.

Protest The Hero - Kezia, one of my all time favorite albums but would love hearing it sound more like anything that came after it. I really like Scurrilous' mix. Nice edge to it but still clean sounding. I think it would fit better than the Uber polish of Palimpsest.

Streetlight Manifesto - Everything Goes Numb, another favorite but I would want it to sounds like their latest record, The Hands That Thieve.

And all albums Pantera if some secret DI tracks were uncovered or some fairy magic bullshit. Love Pantera, don't love the guitar tones, but I look past it because they're nasty tunes.

TheDandy

Reaction score

It has the most horrendous black metal production of them all, perhaps. But the riffs and songwriting are amazing.

I don’t need or want modern production, by any means — but their previous album, Bergtatt, sounded great.
I’ve come to appreciate Nattens’ production but boy was it an acquired taste. I honestly think it works as is, but I’d be very curious to hear it with Bergtatt’s production. Good pick!

I’d pick Rivers of Nihil’s Where Owls Know My Name. One of my favourite albums ever, but if the mix just had a bit more breathing room and sounded a little more organic I think it would really shine, the drums in particular.

Kosthrash

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Not something specific from me, I just prefer the live recordings / versions of my favorite artists/ bands, rather than the studio albums, because they have more dynamics and less "wall of sound" thing production wise, also in most cases they include improvisations!

Pat

Reaction score

Are the rumours true that they spent all their recording budget on alcohol and nice suits?

Kaura

Je suis ketchup
Reaction score
Divided By by Structures is the only album that comes to mind. Holy fuck the mastering on that album is butchered. Also, The New Reign by Born of Osiris. They already did a remaster but it sounds so thin and hollow compared to the original.

Northfall

Established Djentleman
Reaction score
I'd have to go with Veil of Maya's "The Common Man's Collapse". The beginning of a great thing, and really wonderfully executed. But being the first of VoM's LPs it has much lower production quality to their future works. I've been saying for years how I'd love for this album to at least get a remaster, a rerecord could be even better...

')