Pick comparison:

• Thread starter Metal Ken
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

telecaster90

Smokestack Lightning
Contributor
Reaction score
believe it or not guys, Ive found that the Red ones produce more highs and mids, and the Black ones will add a little bass and cut some of the mids out. I have three diff types i use. I use the Red and Black Jazz IIIs and then the 1.14mm Tortex Jazz IIIs, which lie the reds, boost your highs a lot. I use the red ones for doing high speed triplets and quads ala Chimaira/KSE/Divine Heresy, the black ones for all my Drop D stuff, and the tortexs for KoRn/anything that i wantsuper highs in. Maybe im crazy but i constantly bounce between picks. I can pick the fastest with the Reds, but love the tone from the Blacks, lol. Endless cycle

Interesting, I might have to experiment more with the red and black ones and changing between them.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
The only explanation i can give to this is that the Red ones are slightly thicker, but more flexible (they have more give to em), and the black ones are slightly slimmer but not very flexible. That and prolly the materials they are made out of. I dont fully understand the physics, but like with most things that ive gained knowledge on with my guitars, it comes from experience, so i just do what ive learned, lol. But then again im alsoa guy who changes his guitar strings every two weeks, so i guess i may be a little over the edge for some folks...

Santuzzo

Reaction score
I do like the Jazz III's a lot, especially the tortex jazz III's.
But I still prefer and use Ibanez Paul Gilbert picks, they are about as pointy as the Jazz III's but just a little bit bigger, which makes them more comfortable to grip for me.
In terms of size they are right in between regular sized picks and Jazz III's.
But I think I could get used to Jazz III's, too, but the Gilbert picks feel more comfortable.

Unknown Doodl3.2

look at each other..
Reaction score
Am I the only who uses up a Jazz III in like 2-3 weeks? I don't get when people say they last forever :scratch: To me, a pick is all used up when the tip is rounded off enough to not give the same attack as when it was new...

guitarplayerone

Reaction score
Am I the only who uses up a Jazz III in like 2-3 weeks? I don't get when people say they last forever :scratch: To me, a pick is all used up when the tip is rounded off enough to not give the same attack as when it was new...

I might use them up that fast if I used them for rythm guitar. However, I never do. I totally agree with you dude, but sometimes I have no cash for picks, so I must use the old ones.

everyone should try Stubby Jazz III's btw

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
I use the Dunlop Nylon 1mm :shrug:

I used to use the 3mm Stubby too, but I was constantly cutting up my fingers. I need a big pick, since I play a lot of punk/ska and strum-ier stuff that is more about energy than finesse.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I used stubbies and big stubbies for a few years, but when i started getting back into harder music, i found they had an annoying and audible "plink" when they slammed into the strings.

So i went back to my old standby, Dunlop delrins in various weights. Now i'm an Ultex convert, and surprisingly, i quite like the Ultex Jazz IIIs, though i'm having a HELL of a time finding a consistent supply of them, and i'm still not sure about the smaller size, because i find my index finger nail tends to drag on the strings when i use smaller picks. I alternate between the Jazz III and a .072 regular teardrop Ultex. I need to keep a few of them around, because they truly disappear when you drop 'em. I think my ideal pick would be a "sharp" teardrop Ultex.

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
I used stubbies and big stubbies for a few years, but when i started getting back into harder music, i found they had an annoying and audible "plink" when they slammed into the strings.

So i went back to my old standby, Dunlop delrins in various weights. Now i'm an Ultex convert, and surprisingly, i quite like the Ultex Jazz IIIs, though i'm having a HELL of a time finding a consistent supply of them, and i'm still not sure about the smaller size, because i find my index finger nail tends to drag on the strings when i use smaller picks. I alternate between the Jazz III and a .072 regular teardrop Ultex. I need to keep a few of them around, because they truly disappear when you drop 'em. I think my ideal pick would be a "sharp" teardrop Ultex.

Actually, that's the other reasons I use the Nylon 1mm now: the sound issue you mentioned, and they're easy to find :lol: (I use them for bass too, it's perfect for me)

Slamp

Reaction score
I've used One pick for the last three years, a pick made of stone shaped like a J3. It's thin and doesn't flex, i love it. a bit slippery though, but i played a gig last night with it at the hottest venue ever, and it wasn't really a problem. guess i'm just used to it by now.

Trespass

AEADGBEA
Reaction score
I've used One pick for the last three years, a pick made of stone shaped like a J3. It's thin and doesn't flex, i love it. a bit slippery though, but i played a gig last night with it at the hottest venue ever, and it wasn't really a problem. guess i'm just used to it by now.

Thats awesome.'

I agree with the Jazz3 color difference posted above, I used the blacks for drop A riffage, and reds for everything else.

sanchezero

Reaction score
i'm diggin the jazz 3 xls. just a bigger version of the j3.

sometimes i felt like i was playn with a watermelon seed

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I honestly love my Jazz III picks. I have both the red and black variety. However I find my index finger tip/nail gets mashed up a lot when I play with them. So I go back and forth between these and my old tortex 0.75/1.0mm picks as these save my fingers.

Russ

Reaction score
I've tried a lot of picks over the years, but i'm hooked on these for about the past 2 years or so: Cool Picks - ultra

You can find them just about anywhere, I just put that link cuz it has a good explanation... Medium (.8mm) feels right to me, but they have a heavy also. They also make a white pick, but something is different about them. You have to get the black ones. Try one out, I don't think you'll regret it. The first time I tried one I noticed a real difference in control and accuracy.

JBroll

Hard-On For Freedom™
Contributor
Reaction score
I like those, but... I prefer the white ones with grip tape. They sound better to me.

Jeff

Despised_0515

Bassist of Redivider
Contributor
Reaction score
I fell in love with jazz IIIs a short time after I started playing guitar, I just can't exactly remember how I heard about them. Every time any of my fellow guitarists saw the picks I used they'd look at them like "wtf? that's tinnyyyy" then they try em out for a few days and switch over to jazz IIIs. :) I used to use the black ones because they wouldn't slip out of my fingers when they would get sweaty from playing, the black ones are "chalky" and the red ones are slippery and stuff.

But after using them for 2 years I kind of liked the thinness and size of my orange tortex picks I switched over to about a year ago. It's just a more "relaxed" feel to me, and I play brutally heavy drop A tuned stuff so I guess it's just personal preference.

i'm diggin the jazz 3 xls. just a bigger version of the j3.

I've gotta try these out :D it might make me fall in love with jazz IIIs all over again.

')