Pick grip not consistent ???

TheFashel12

ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ
Reaction score
I've been playing for a bit less than 2 and a half years . On some days i feel like I'm holding the pick perfectly and my picking hand just feels comfortable and relaxed with little pressure on the pick . On other days however I feel that I have to hold the pick with more force which is less effective when playing and makes sweep picking slightly strange .How do I make my picking hand more consistent when holding the pick ????

One more thing : How to sweep pick cleanly ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Maniacal

Reaction score
What picks do you use?

I had a similar problem so I switched to Jazz III max grips.

ChronicConsumer

Reaction score
I switched to Dava Jazz polygels and never went back. They give you a lot more control over your picking, at least in my experience.

How to sweep cleanly? There's no secret, except slowing down. Make sure you mute correctly; as soon as you play the next note, the note you were playing should be gone. Also be wary of any excess string noise. Honestly, if your sweeps are not clean, slow down, practice more and practice better.

TheFashel12

ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips !
I use the normal jazz 3 picks .

As for sweep picking , could tell me how exactly i should mute ?

My sweeping is relatively clean , but not as clean as i would like .

Ryan-ZenGtr-

Reaction score
Ugh, sweeping is horrible to explain in text.
Use the the area of flesh between the little finger (pinky) and the wrist of the picking hand and roll it from treble to bass when descending and from bass to treble when ascending, just like normal playing.
With your fretting hand make precise and synchronised motions, being careful not to set the string in motion when you release the note.

Synchronisation, precision and timing are the key to sweeping, as well as good knowledge of arpeggios and harmony.

Find some Loomis, Petrucci or Gambale that you like, get the tab and study it. Romeo and Impelleteri might also be interesting. Best of luck!

Saidincontext

Reaction score
I get a really flat .53 pick, cut an "X" into it for grip, and bash the strings with the ears. Let's my harmonics SCREAM, palm mutes perfect. Basically the best way for muting is to have your thumb and pointer holding the pick, and rest the remainder over the strings, and control your palm as you switch strings/play. This works for sweeps/gives you fast access to your controls too. You palm mute after every note you sweep. Takes some practice. START SLOW. YOU WANT EVERY NOTE CRYSTAL CLEAR.

Tandem

Reaction score
Don't grab a pick and think, "Okay, am I holding my pick right?!"

Do what feels natural, unless it's a particularly austere quandary. I grip my picks differently depending on what I'm trying to achieve. If I need my fingers free for picking, I just use my thumb and first finger, however if I'm trying to achieve fast, chunky rhythms, my hand pretty much balls up.

Check out Snarling Dogs Brain picks... they are pretty bulky, but are one of my top choices. I use the 1.6m version.

As for sweeping, these other guys have pretty much got it nailed. Only thing I can add is that you should definitely start doing 2 string sweeps. I know that doesn't sound like a sweep, but you need to be able to release the first note before you hit the next. Then move to 3 strings (basic minor shape is so easy) and four strings (minor shapes also very easy here).

flow

>know
Reaction score
I use tortex dunlops. I constantly change the way i hold my pick depending on what i'm trying to execute on the guitar.

kabz

Reaction score
I am constantly changing my picks to see how certain styles are affected by certain picks.
I am a Ultex Jazz III lover -- it is probably the most consistent pick I have ever used, and grip is a dream.
However, it can be a bit bright at times, and strumming passages isn't as dynamic and the attack might be a bit harsh in spots as well.
I have a yellow Tortex style (.73) pick with a thumb divot - I forgot the brand - and that is my alternate. I also use .88 (green) Tortex Sharps -- which I fall in and out of love with.
I use big stubby's as well (purple kind), and Clayton for rhythm, but some of the thicker Clayton's do well with sweeping and faster playing.
I can't decide on one pick for the rest of my life, but definitely check out the ultex Jazz III if you haven't yet.

DoomJazz

Classic Lojack
Reaction score
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/music-theory-lessons-techniques/213297-picking-technique.html

I just made this post concerning picking, for grip, balling your hand makes it damn near impossible for the pick to move because your index finger can't pivot the harder you press. Paul Gilbert describes it at "scratching a dog", when it comes to the shape of you're hand, of course you're not balling your hand into a fist and going from there.

As far as Sweep Picking goes, muting the strings that aren't being played is a huge factor. I find that comes from your wrist wherever you rest it on the bridge. There's no exact way to describe it, but you'll learn as you go along. Slow down if you can too. Or... be like me and just go as fast as you'd like until you get it right :p

stuglue

Reaction score
Few tips. Whenever my picking arm shoulder starts to rise up inwards towards my neck, I notice tension in myplaying. Always keep the shoulder dropped and it'll automatically be loose. I used to pick like Gilbert, but now I anchor my pinky on the body as it takes the weight off my hand. it also gives me a better angle to work with and my alternate picking is even.

stuglue

Reaction score
I learnt from a drummer that they don't grip the stick, gripping it tight deadens the attack of the snare as a rigid stick kills the energy, it also is bad for you physically as the vibrations go up the arm. Have a very lose grip on the pick and your tone will improve as well as your control.

GuitaristOfHell

The Optimist Prime.
Reaction score
I switched to 2mm Carbon Fiber Jazz III's. Seriously nothing better.

wildchild

Reaction score
picking grip depends on the conditions, I find my hands are dry in the morning and cant grip it solid. switched to max grip and that solved the prob
Some people score the picks so they have can grip better, similar to the max grip

about sweep picking I have found that anchoring the pinky on the body and by using that as a pivot point and I learned that if you can utilise the finger and thumb independance for picking thanks to ernesto homeyer in LA, it was weird at first but wow its great from economy style picking

Maniacal

Reaction score
^ just get a grippy pick, stubby picks are okay but when you play live they slip too easily.

You should also mention how important it is to relax the entire picking arm, not just the grip. Playing with tension will sound like shit and lead to fast, sloppy playing no matter how loose your pick grip is.

Cdub

Reaction score
Sometimes I think of using the pick like I would write an essay if I had snapped the tip of a pencil off. Writing with a tiny piece of lead would demand precision, so I choke up on the pick a lot when I'm trying to get fast and technical, especially high notes on the high strings.

texshred777

Reaction score
I like the feel of the Stubby and have never had a problem with them slipping. YMMV obviously, but I love the way they feel. I don't do a lot of multi string sweeps, but economy picking is my natural picking style.

As suggested, find some real music you'd like to learn and practice that. Muting is a little different for most people, but it's something you really need to concentrate on. It's probably the most difficult part about sweeping cleanly.

')