Pick Placement on a strat?

• Thread starter justreleased09
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

justreleased09

Reaction score
Sorry guys, I have a 6 string question haha. When playing single note lines(alternate picking, sweep picking) on a strat( 3 single coils) with a loose fist grip, i.e PAul Gilbert, is the pick in between the middle and neck pick ups or the middle and back pickup, or where? Thanks guys!

Blayze

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

theclap

Reaction score
Between the neck pup and the middle pup will give you the best tonal results imo. any higher and you start to get a tone loss in the highs and any lower and it starts to get too trebley. If you're playing quickly then it becomes easier to play more between the middle and treble pup and will compliment higher note runs better. Also the closer to the bridge the more string tension there is so the notes also become easier to pick fast.

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
It should be......wherever you're most comfortable with it :)

If that happens to conform to common wisdom concerning tone and string tension then great....if however it doesn't then that's also fine - I tend to move my hand depending on what I'm playing so my advice is simply.....experiment. For sweeping I tend to move closer to the neck pickup as I prefer the tone, but for alternate picking I edge back in order to benefit from increased string tension......I rarely hybrid pick but if I do that seems to sit roughly in the middle to avoid an overt country twang which irritates me incredibly...

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
I'd echo between the neck and mid pickups tonally speaking w/ single coils. If you're pickups are low enough below the strings then right over the middle pickup is where I find my most comfortable position is for finger-picking.

theclap

Reaction score
I'd echo between the neck and mid pickups tonally speaking w/ single coils. If you're pickups are low enough below the strings then right over the middle pickup is where I find my most comfortable position is for finger-picking.

yeah I should add I keep my strat at normal string tension with higher action and factory set pickup height...I'm a big strat fan btw

')