Pick up install issues

• Thread starter sweepingDemon
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sweepingDemon

Reaction score
So i am a cheap bastard and bought these Belcat BH-31 EMG Type Humbucker Pickup at Gear4Music.com but the problem is they only have 2 wires which are a white wire and a bare wire.
I have tried wiring with a 2 humbucker, 3 way, 1 volume and 1 tone set up.
which didn't work I connected the white wire to the toggle and the bare wire to the volume. That didn't work so i reversed it and again that didn't work, there fore i decided to connect both wires to the 3 way and obviously that didn't work.

Have you guys any ideas how to wire this shit up?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Baelzebeard

Grinder of strings
Reaction score
The diagram in the second post is good if your control layout is like this. What is your setup /guitar?

Anyways, I would guess what you have there is a hot/signal wire,(white), and ground, (bare). In relation to the diagram you posted the bare wire will be soldered to the back of the volume pot, and the white would solder to the left lug of the volume pot terminals. That should get you sorted out if your control layout is like the drawing, and the rest of the controls are wired correctly.

Good luck.

5150time

Now with Vitamin R
Reaction score
If you're doing a 4 pot control, what the above poster said works just fine. The signal goes from your pickups to the pot and then to the switch, enabling you to have individual volumes.

Your post says you're doing a 1V 1T setup though, so instead of putting the white to the volume pot, the white goes to the switch, and the bare goes to the back of a pot. This way, the signal from your pickups goes to the switch first and your volume controls the level for whatever signal it receives from the switch.

Wiring Diagram

This is a good diagram to figure it out. Just ignore all the four conductor bits - you've essentially got the single conductor diagram on the bottom left.

Wiring Diagram

This is if your switch is different.

If none of that works, you might have the wires to your hot and ground on the jack reversed.

Hope that helps.

sweepingDemon

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I think i have got it done properly now. I had to wire the bare wires to the toggle and the white wires to the middle tab thing on the volume pot which i thought was a very odd way to do it but it seems to work

Baelzebeard

Grinder of strings
Reaction score
That sounds wonky as hell. 5150time is right on,(I missed the control layout described in op) do like he described, and post some pics too. We'll get you straightened out .:hbang:

5150time

Now with Vitamin R
Reaction score
That sounds wonky as hell. 5150time is right on,(I missed the control layout described in op) do like he described, and post some pics too. We'll get you straightened out .:hbang:

That's exactly what I said too. Who the hell uses a bare wire as a hot? Even if it does work, the way it's wired, doesn't that mean the pickups aren't grounded?

Whether wiring it that way works or not, please get us a picture or something. That's the craziest 1V 1T wiring I've ever heard. Wiring the two whites to the middle of the volume pot and then to the tone or jack could produce sound I guess...but then the switch would do nothing, the volume pot would just pass the signal through, and both pickups would be on full blast no matter what, wouldn't they?

sweepingDemon

Reaction score
yea it didn't work out pick ups were not grounded. I'm not even going to bother spending more time and effort into seeing how they need connected not worth the hassle. I am just going to fork out on real pick ups.
Thanks for all the info guys :)

Latest posts

')