Pickguard advice

• Thread starter None More Black
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I want to replace my pickguard on my Ibanez rg655 with either a new plastic one or a metal diamondplate one, my question is if I get the diamondplate, will i need to leave the ground wires that go from each pot off to avoid ground loops?
Also, does anyone know how are the mirrored pickguards at showing scratches, since the mirroring is technically on the bottom side of the pickguard...?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
nobody knows? I put the pick guard on and I am getting some hum when plugged in, it seems to change when I move the guitar, the new pick guard did not have any shielding tape on the back like the plastic factory one, if anyone has any ideas that would be appreciated!
the factory one was shielded which did conduct like the metal one does, so I don't think it is a ground loop....

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
Is your control cavity painted with shielding paint? That stuff can do miracles for buzz (paint pickup cavities as well). Also, I'd just run a ground wire to the pickguard if it's metal. Also maybe try covering the bottom of the plate in shielding tape (copper or silver) and make sure all grounds congeragate in one place.

I got a diamond plate pickguard a while ago, and I think I shielded it with copper tape before putting it on...

Reaction score
7 dying trees, that sounds like a plan, i was thinking some sheilding and running a ground wire. I have only had this guitar about a week, so the pickups could have had this hum with the other pickguard and i had my decimator on and didnt notice it.

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
7 dying trees, that sounds like a plan, i was thinking some sheilding and running a ground wire. I have only had this guitar about a week, so the pickups could have had this hum with the other pickguard and i had my decimator on and didnt notice it.

Yep, and it's a good idea to have a ground screw under the pickups (a grounding point) which'll be possible if you cavity shield paint it, just screw a ground wire on it. Also make sure the bridge has a ground wire going to it, and with shielding etc it should go a lot quieter.

I find that it can be a bit of trial and error sometimes!

')