Picking hand/Practicing

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm 17 years old. Summer 2010, I got my first electric guitar and played on it for a year, but only like 20-30 minutes a day. Then quit because I was going to be an exchange student for a year (Summer 2011-Summer 2012).
Never really went hardcore into all that theory stuff.
So, basically I have been playing for 2 months now after I returned, and I also got myself a 7-string as I love playing the guitar.
I learned Almost Easy by Avenged Sevenfold a few weeks ago.
Today I finished learning Pursuit of Vikings by Amon Amarth on my 7-string after a few days.

Now, here my question starts. I have noticed some picking problems once in a while, especially when you have to do alternate picking extremely fast like in Pursuit of Vikings.

Considering I never really went into all that theory stuff and just played songs; Shouldn't I start to do that now? And what exercises should I do?
Do you know any video lessons, DVD lessons etc.?

I tried taking my metronome, playing a pentatonic scale starting my metronome on 60. I ended at 150 bpm with very few problems (going for 2 minutes) but I was going on 140 bmp perfectly for nearly 2 minutes.
Does this exercise help at all? Or are there other ones?

I should say that on 150 bpm on the metronome, I was having some coordination problems once in a while (Picking while moving my fretting hand) where my fretting hand didn't always go where it was meant to.

So basically.. From what information I've given, do you have any ideas on what exercises could improve especially my picking hand but also my fretting hand and help me become a better guitarist?
The style I like to play is like Avenged Sevenfold, Amon Amarth etc.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jbrin0tk

Reaction score
If you are able to purchase them, I would highly suggest you check out Maniacal's books. You can find them at shredtraining.com. They are excellent resources for improving technique and giving practice time some direction.

Reaction score
If you are able to purchase them, I would highly suggest you check out Maniacal's books. You can find them at shredtraining.com. They are excellent resources for improving technique and giving practice time some direction.

Maniacal's Riff Training Bundle?
Would that help me become a better lead or rhythm guitarist, or both of them?

Solodini

MORE RESTS!
Reaction score
I always recommend that you work on playing lots of different music while you're learning, as well. Learn writing while you learn playing. These days that seems like an oddity but that was common for hundreds of years! If you're always writing new music, you'll have full understanding of the intentions behind what you wrote while you play it, which will help you to interpret other people's music better.

It will also make sure that you're constantly applying what you know, not just playing 3 tunes well and tricking yourself into thinking you're better than you are. If you can come up with an etude using a technique, play it well at whatever speed 5 minutes later and see the musical application of it then you'll improve your understanding of the uses of technique, you'll become better at the technique as you would do practisin. You'll also improve your ability to learn new music using that technique, not just relying on the muscle memory you develop by practising the same thing for extended periods; a trap which many guitarists fall into!

Reaction score
Hi Maniacal
After looking at/hearing about your books I decided that I'm going to buy them as soon as I get home. Can't wait!
Also, what do you mean by "trap"? Are you referring to the post above?

And thanks for that long post, I'll look into it!

Solodini

MORE RESTS!
Reaction score
A trap that actually gets you good at guitar.

Which makes you good within limited applications, from those who I have witnessed. There are plenty of people who can play a few impressive licks well using a technique but ask them to do much else using it and they will flounder. Surely you're better to have ability with as many usable applications as possible. Otherwise, those guitarists may end up as the musical equivalent of a microwave cook from Little Chef surrounded by Michelin star chefs.

Maniacal

Reaction score
Yeah, I do agree with you. But I also know first hand that in order to get really comfortable, consistent and fast with a technique, you need to drill it over and over again.

Sometimes JUST focusing on technique without musicality is the quickest way to improve.

Reaction score
Yeah, I do agree with you. But I also know first hand that in order to get really comfortable, consistent and fast with a technique, you need to drill it over and over again.

Sometimes JUST focusing on technique without musicality is the quickest way to improve.

I just bought your 2 books from shredtraining.com
How long time does it usually take to ship to a European country? (I live in Denmark)
Can't wait to receive them and practice the shit out of it

Maniacal

Reaction score
I will post them on Monday. Should be with you within 4/6 days.
In the meantime, you can go through the licks and practice pieces on the free lessons page of the website.
Thanks

')