Picks. How important are they to you?

• Thread starter Xk6m6m5X
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Xk6m6m5X

Reaction score
I seen dunlop was coming out with a hettfield "white fang" wich is a slightly smaller black fang with textured grip, on their website but not for sale yet.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

NorCal_Val

Reaction score
I’ve been playing the Dunlop/Petrucci picks for 4+ years. Before that, I’d played purple Dunlop Tortex picks since 1990-ish.
Mostly because I’m lazy.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
Clayton Acetal 1mm, Dunlop Sharps and Ultex's too.
Picks are a huge deal to me. They make huge differences in how well you play and tone also. Tortex, ULtex, Acetal, the shapes of picks all really matter
- Lay down like $50 and get as many picks as you can and really play and try them all out over and over again doing a/b tests with playing, tone etc. It's one of the most important things to really get familiar with in my opinion. ALso the Wedge picks are a really nice shape and play well.
- I'm interested in trying that Jim Root pick, a normal shape with a jazz shape. Looks tapered too. That might be pretty nice. Always interested in trying out new picks.

Last edited:

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
I am super picky, to be honest, pardon the pun. Personally, it's Swiss Picks all the way at the moment in Jazz size (my pick pocket is super monotonous these days as it's always the same shape with a couple material variations), but all this is super personal and I advise you to figure out what size you like and experiment with different thickness, material and tip from there on to see what works for you.

Anant Naag

hate frets
Reaction score
Winspear for me, tempted to try the new AAL pics or drop tons of money on Winspear again, lets see.

Without the perfect pick, it just feels wrong to play guitar. Both in terms of tone and in comfort.

My pick of choice enhances certain frequencies and cuts others, I love this change.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Winspear for me, tempted to try the new AAL pics or drop tons of money on Winspear again, lets see.

Without the perfect pick, it just feels wrong to play guitar. Both in terms of tone and in comfort.

My pick of choice enhances certain frequencies and cuts others, I love this change.

I think all picks do this to some extent. I was always searching for the right feel of a pick for the style and gauge of strings I prefer, and that seems to be JIII's.

Merrekof

Reaction score
Dunlop nylons. .88 or 1mm. Depends on what I pick up the first. Not that I tried that many picks but those always work for me.

thrashinbatman

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Nowadays I use InTune's version of the Jazz III XL. I like the regular III but it's too small, it makes my hand cramp. I like the XL because it's basically right inbetween a regular Dunlop and the Sharps which I also like. It's got a bit of a point but not too much. I always felt with the Sharps that I had to wear them down a bit but that doesn't happen with the XLs. I use .88, that seems perfect to me. It's thick but has just a tiny bit of give, which I find I need in a pick.

Exchanger

Reaction score
It has to be pointy.
(also grippy - sweaty hands)

I didn't really believe it a first, but thickness has impact on the sound. Obviously thin flexible ones are more comfortable for strumming, and thick and stiff will get you these aggressive riffs where they need to be. However, chose them too thick, and your sound might get a bit too dark. For a while I used one of these chunky plastic ones. While it's super comfy it does darken your sound a bit, so I went back to 1.1 - 1.5.

I feel they're pretty important. I like something jazz III shaped but a little bigger. The right pick makes me play a lot better.

You might want to try Dunlop Tortex III's. They have the pointy tip of the Jazz III but are a bit bigger and they feel grippier, not because of tiny barbs but just the feel of the material.

gnoll

Reaction score
You might want to try Dunlop Tortex III's. They have the pointy tip of the Jazz III but are a bit bigger and they feel grippier, not because of tiny barbs but just the feel of the material.

Yeah, I'm actually curious to try those! Would be interesting to compare to nylon and ultex. I kinda wish I could find something more durable too, my picks tend to get pulverized pretty quickly.

Soya

Poor person
Reaction score
I am super picky, to be honest, pardon the pun. Personally, it's Swiss Picks all the way at the moment in Jazz size (my pick pocket is super monotonous these days as it's always the same shape with a couple material variations), but all this is super personal and I advise you to figure out what size you like and experiment with different thickness, material and tip from there on to see what works for you.
What made you move away from Hufshmid picks?

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
What made you move away from Hufshmid picks?

Ended up happening some time ago, as I wanted a smaller profile to the picks and I didn't find the smaller shape working as well with the way Patrick's curves were conceived in terms of maintaining the thickness without sacrificing some "edge" to the tip, nor did it feel as good, and these are labour intensive and rather expensive affairs; in the meantime I first started gravitating towards Sik Piks, then some Jazz types again, and finally the Swiss Picks in particular as their edge allows me to expose a lot more than the OG Jazz IIIs when I want to dig in. This stuff is as prone to evolution or simple changes as anything else, I guess.

ATRguitar91

Reaction score
I'd also recommend the XL Jazz III's if you want a bigger jazz shaped picks. I've been using the tortex green version lately and have really liked em. I tried the Tortex III's as well and like them fine, but prefer the slightly smaller Jazz XL shape.

jco5055

Reaction score
I think they matter in terms of the basic shape, but once you've found your general style it's not mega important.

Like give me some kind of Jazz III ish thing and i"m good.

But also I use a Blue Chip Jazz 100 which literally costs $75 soooo lol

gnoll

Reaction score
I think they matter in terms of the basic shape, but once you've found your general style it's not mega important.

Like give me some kind of Jazz III ish thing and i"m good.

But also I use a Blue Chip Jazz 100 which literally costs $75 soooo lol

I have a Blue Chip too and it's too damn slippery against the strings. There's so little friction that I can't feel what I play.

')