Picks

• Thread starter j13777
  • Start date
  • Tags
    picks
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

j13777

Reaction score
What are your favorite picks?
Mine is my small pointed V-pick

By the way, anybody tried a stone pick?

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

raximkoron

Reaction score
Gripick - Worlds Greatest Guitar Picks!

Been using those for years and they're fantastic, recently started making them in Delrin as well, I'm using those currently.

It seems that most people are using Jazz III's so I'm anticipating quite a few responses including those.

I also use a "cymbolic" pick from time to time for certain things. They don't seem to make them anymore, but they were produced from Zildjian crash cymbals... it's pretty rough on the strings though.

Empryrean

angery gear acquirer
Reaction score
I've been expirimenting with my fingers lately, I feel like me and my picks are growing further apart.
But I will always love my ultex jazz III's

SuperD

Reaction score
JazzIII's here too, but I LOVE the initial attack Jeff Loomis gets, almost a scratch, with his Cool picks Juratex...must investigate...
I suppose the fact that Mr. Loomis is a pretty good player is part of it...:bowdown:

ellengtrgrl

Reaction score
After almost 25 years of using Dunlop Tortex .73mm (the yellow ones), I gave Dunlop Ultex Standard .73mm a try last year. I'm sticking with them. Oh and like Pat Metheney (and at the suggestion of my uncle [guitar generation #2 in the family] waaay back in 1980), I've been picking with the butt end (not the tip) of the pick for almost 30 years.

lurgar

Reaction score
Jazz III XL's because normal Jazz IIIs seem too small for me.

TomParenteau

Tube & Analog Snob
Reaction score
Yellow Tortex, and stainless steel or copper picks of the same standard size. I used to use the metal ones all the time, but now I only record leads with them because they tear guitars up so bad!

Reading this forum has made me recently buy a couple Jazz & Jazz IIIs to try out!

jon66

Contributor
Reaction score
As a long time user of the big triangular tortex picks, I heard a lot of fuss on the net about these jazz picks. I went to the local shop & bought a few standard Jazz-IIIs. At first it was a bit awkward (the smaller size) but I got used to it quick enough, and it even seemed to clean up my picking technique. What I really didn't like about them was how slippery they were - I found the pick slipped too often when playing...

Next time I went back to the shop, I seen the Tortex Jazz picks, so I tried a couple of those out. I found them much better - they have a "non-stick feel" to them that seemed to help. Still wasn't enough though. So I started gouging and cutting grooves into the picks with a knife. That finally did the trick. Grippy.

Then more internet reading (thats what my boss really pays me for, but he doesn't know it, lol) led me to Ultex-Jazz picks. Hmm, sounded good. Tried them out, and I'll never switch. Grippy, better tone it seems & a nice sharp edge to boot. :yesway:

')