Pickup Advice again

• Thread starter harddisk_ripper
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys!
I got my RG1527 since a while now and I found out that I keep playing 6 string stuff because it sounds way better than playing on the lowest string -> Need a new bridge pickup :D
I think the stock pickups just sound like muddy crap on the 7th string (a tuning).

Now I really don't know what to get! I love the kind of clear sound Korn has but I also like to play Metallica or Black Label Society on the higher 6 strings. Now I really don't know what to get!

Again I'd like to have a very clear fat tone wich isn't muddy on the lowest string...

What to choose?

PAF-7?
or the Blaze Custom or Blaze?
Air Norton?? Omfg :p

Oh yeah and what about this:
Blaze Neck in the bridge

I know there are a lot of threads like this, but after hours of reading through them I couldn't find the information I am looking for...

Thx in advance
Greez hdr!

PS: Oh yeah, sry for my English! I'm 16 and from switzerland, maybe this qualifies as an excuse haha

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
Actually, i played a rg7620 the other day, and although you are right in that the bridge pickup sounds like arse, that the neck pickup[ was actually really really cool! It sounded killer!

bridge wise...hmmm... I like the blaze custom, although i've only heard the blaze and blaze cuastom in basswood.

How much gain do you want from the pickups? Sounds like that as you like playing zakk wylde and metallica that it may be worth looking into EMG's as that will get you close as you'll ever get to that sound, as well as clearing up the low string and making it heavy!

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
The Evo 7 is a good bridge pickup for basswood guitars, as yours is. Very clear and tight. The Blaze Custom is a very good pickup too, like a hotter Air Norton 7 with a touch more mid. Makes a brilliant neck pickup when paired with an Evo 7. That's the combo I use in my RG7321.

EMG's are an option, but would require routing the guitar as they're bigger than standard 7 string pickups. They're also VERY bright on clean tones, too much so for my liking. That's why my EMG equipped RG7621 is on Ebay right now.

thepunisher

just another hairy viking
Reaction score
yea, emgs own for distortion, but lack for cleans. and cutting up your guitar would suck.

thats why i recomend the evo.

Reaction score
Hm yeah but more important than high output would be a very clear sound with distortion :D

thx for the answers! :D

So what would you recommend? Evo? Blaze Neck @Bridge, Blaze Bridge version or the Paf7?

CyBerAliEn

Reaction score
^ The PAF-7 is an amazing pick-up. I love the sound. Matches everything I need. Has that jazzy-smooth clean if you want it, and a killer-clear-defined distortion with a good amp. Unfortunately, that's in mohogany.

I haven't dealt with it personally, but on all accounts I've heard, the PAF-7 tends to sound muddy in basswood.

I like the sound of a Blaze in basswood, but I wouldn't compare it to a PAF-7 in mohogany... they're different beasts with their own distinct sound. But I would say a Blaze would probably suit your requirements of "clean & no mud".

But if you're after higher output, the Evo would probably be a good option.

AVH

avhguitarrepair.com
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I'm going to use a Blaze Neck in the bridge of the 7321 that I'm customizing. From what I understand, this p'up will keep a clear but strident 7th string in both dropped tunings and at higher volumes with high gain.
For the neck, I'm going with the classic Air Norton 7, and also installing a Graphtech Ghost piezo system as well.

Reaction score
Ok I surfed arround alot and I'm pretty sure im getting a Blaze Neck @Bridge.

I just saw a video of a recent korn live gig. The sound of Munky guitar is just awesome I think. Very dry sound...

I wonder what pickups he's using...
So I made a small zip sound with the intro of a new song.
With a good amp is it possible to achieve a simlar crunchy clear sound??

I'm thanking in advance for any help!
And please don't start any korn-sucks-discussions :ugh:

Attachments

• korn live sound.zip
    158.2 KB · Views: 24

CyBerAliEn

Reaction score
I wonder what pickups he's using...
So I made a small zip sound with the intro of a new song.
With a good amp is it possible to achieve a simlar crunchy clear sound??

I'm pretty sure he was using his leather guitar for that (has the cancer "69" neck inlay). That guitar has PAF-7s in it (the guitar is a custom K-7 with a different neck inlay & the leather-bound body). The PAF-7 is a low output pickup, so it's going to typically sound crunchier than say, an Evo or Blaze. But the sound is still full of raw gain... why? Cause it's running through a Mesa Boogie. I'm not sure what model he's using live right now, but it's always been some variation of the Rectifier (in the early days, ~1990s, they ran Dual Rectifier; moving towards 2000 they were using Triple Rectifier; there most recent stuff in the last few years, they've been using Road Kings live, so I'm guessing that tone is from a Road King). Of course, I'm pretty sure he's changed his EQ a little (it seems to me he turned up the treble knob a little bit).

It's a little different in the studio though. They (Head & Munky, or at least now just Munky) are always using various amps & cabinets for recording. Various previous records had Diezels, Mesas, Bogners, Marshalls, etc. This last album, Munky split his signal four ways to diff. amps & recorded each amp, and then mixed them however on the CD (I forget exactly which models, but they were: Mesa, Bogner, Diezel, and I believe the last one was Soldano).

Korbain

Stay negative!
Reaction score
my advice, get the dimarzio blaze neck and bridge pickups. thats what my mates got in his 7620 and it sounds great. like distortion or clean, its just a great sound. to me anyway. i know i am going to be purchasing blaze pickups within the next month or so for my 7620 :agreed:

Reaction score
Hei thx for the anwers...

So im sure im getting the blaze neck @bridge. It seems to be very similar to the paf7 just it has a tiny bit more output...

Here a pic of munkys guitar. I dont think its the leather-bound one!

Attachments

• munks guitar.JPG
    munks guitar.JPG
    23.9 KB · Views: 28

CyBerAliEn

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the guitar in that pic is the leather-cancer one. I haven't seen him using another guitar on tour in a long while.

But... looking at that pic, those pickups definately look to be PAF-7s to me (note the color is identical to the pickups on a K-7 ;) ).

Reaction score
Yeah its that typical PAF7 gray/black! :D

Hmmm never heard of an x2n-7... And google didnt wanna help me to know more :p

EDIT: Oh and should i get the F-spaced version or what??? I'm confused...
EDIT2: Ah ok it looks like theres only the f-spaced version available for 7 strings... right?

Korbain

Stay negative!
Reaction score
harddisk_ripper said:
Hei thx for the anwers...

So im sure im getting the blaze neck @bridge. It seems to be very similar to the paf7 just it has a tiny bit more output...

Here a pic of munkys guitar. I dont think its the leather-bound one!

its 100% a K7 with the PAF-7's. if your aiming for a setup like munk's. definatly go with the blaze. because remember the K7 is made from different wood so the PAF7's sound better with it. blaze all the way! thats all i can say! hehe

Reaction score
yeah i heard about that!
so yeah @monday i'll call my guitarshop and order some blaze neck's!

Thx ya'll u help me out alot!

EDIT: Ok found a pic of that 'leather' guitar...
Anyone can see what pickups they are? They dont look like PAF7 to me!
And yeah the guitar i meant before is definitly not that one!

Reaction score
Whats it about to not be allowed to post pics until uf have made 15 posts?
Well so I have to doublepost, im sorry

Attachments

• MunkyTung5.jpg
    MunkyTung5.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 27

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
harddisk_ripper said:
Yeah its that typical PAF7 gray/black! :D

Hmmm never heard of an x2n-7... And google didnt wanna help me to know more :p

EDIT: Oh and should i get the F-spaced version or what??? I'm confused...
EDIT2: Ah ok it looks like theres only the f-spaced version available for 7 strings... right?
x2n-7 is the 7 string version of the x2n, it should be very hot, its a rail pickup, the 6 string version is rated at 510mV, and the eq curve is bass 6.5, mids 6.5, and treble 5, at least if my memory serves me correct, dunno how similar the x2n-7 would be, but i'd imagine itd be really close... i love my x2n in my Rhoads V, and i loved how it sounded tuned down to B, i've already preordered mine via the thread in the for sale section.

')