Pickup advice for alder body jackson

• Thread starter Dhare46
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

potatohead

Reaction score
FWIW Hammett uses 81/81, so there is a lot of ways to slay the dragon. As stated though the 81 is the one you want for bridge. 85 is a bit less output and warmer than the 81, an the 60 is cleaner and warmer still than the 85.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KiD Cudi

Reaction score
FWIW Hammett uses 81/81, so there is a lot of ways to slay the dragon. As stated though the 81 is the one you want for bridge. 85 is a bit less output and warmer than the 81, an the 60 is cleaner and warmer still than the 85.
Actually, the 85 has more output than the 81 and the 60 is a lot brighter and more middy than the 85 because of the ceramic magnet.

guy in latvia

Reaction score
FYI - Soilwork used the 85 in the bridge.

I much prefer the sound of the 85 in the bridge, also in alder it will sound thicker and less scooped! I quite liked the 81 in the neck, but It really was not my cup of tea for the bridge. Then again the standard blackouts are supposed to sound similar to the EMG 85s, I really loved them in Alder for playing In Flames, Amon Amarth and CoB type of metal!

Dhare46

Reaction score
FYI - Soilwork used the 85 in the bridge.

I much prefer the sound of the 85 in the bridge, also in alder it will sound thicker and less scooped! I quite liked the 81 in the neck, but It really was not my cup of tea for the bridge. Then again the standard blackouts are supposed to sound similar to the EMG 85s, I really loved them in Alder for playing In Flames, Amon Amarth and CoB type of metal!

Cheers, i've got it narrowed down to the 81/85 combo, Dimarzio d activators or a D activator/liquifire combo, but i'm not buying till next pay day so still plenty of time to decide.

asilayamazing

Reaction score
81/81 is cool and very death metal... :metal:
85/85 is way better, i dont want 81/81 like kirk hammet :lol: give me some dynamics ---->85 bridge/81 neck or 85/85 more balanced.

EDIT: ive tried 85/85 81/81 81/85, 85/81 a/b'ed, and tried one after other same guitar, tried 81 bridge for while, always back to 85, the 81 sounds good, just is sluggish, and lacks dynamics in comparison-> 85
Just get 81/85 and swap them for a while and see for yourself!:yesway: if it aint broke dont fix it just get actives like almost every metal band :lol: you want nicer neck get a 60 for it 85/81 for bridge.

ALSO yeah i think the 85 is louder so when you switch to neck or whatever the volume is balanced or higher or something but 85 deff. more output, i hate when people think 81's are the best in all ways cause theyre not :p

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I'd agree with the 85, but with death metal, the aggressiveness and compression of the 81 fits the bill a lot better, IMO. I think the fullness and smoothness of the 85 works better for other genres of metal, though.

MikeAlustrium

Mike DeMaria
Reaction score
i have a jackson ke2 kelly with an aldar body and my BKP Miracle man set is awesome. i play death metal and I wish they had a little more output but other than that they are sick!

sell2792

Reaction score
85 always > 81 in either position. 85/60 is the best combo IMO if you've gotta go with EMG's.

')