Pickup advice needed for Passive 7 pickups, WG587.

• Thread starter CGord
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CGord

Reaction score
So, yeah. Passive 7 pickups, WG587, intending on drop A, possibly a half step down. What do I want?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
To post this in the forum called "Pickups, Electronics & General Tech" :lol:

I'm currently debating what pups to drop in the WG587 I have on order as well :yesway:

ibzrg1570

Reaction score
OMG SEARCH N00B!!!

:fawk: It depends on what type of sound you want and what type of music you play. Check the "Pickups, Electronics and General Tech" thread.

RondoAllaTurca

Reaction score
If you have the money, Bare Knuckle Pickups. I am waiting on my Ceramic Warpig and Cold Sweat neck. But, my friend has them in his guitar, and it is br00tal, let me tell you...

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
most of what we talk about involves passive pickups :)

Vince

Contributor
Reaction score
Air Norton / JB is my preferred setup.

In a mahogany guitar, IMO, it just doesn't get any better than that.

In basswood, however, the JB and Evo pickups can sound thin, depending on the actual guitar. I had a JB 7 in a basswood ESP and it sounded terrible, but when I transplanted it to my mahogany Ibanez S7, it was incredible.

I'm a big fan of the JB 7, the Evo 7 (for extremely high gain, higher than many actives from my experience), and the AN7. I think Seymour Duncan makes a Jazz 7 too, but I'd still recommend the AN7 for the neck pickup. I've heard the Evo 7 is pretty cool in the neck position too, but I've never tried it.

I'm actually very interested in trying out a Tone Zone 7 myself.

Oh, and hey no prob on the thread move :yesway:

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
So if I ask about pickups, will I get the "OMG SEARCH N00B!" response?

This isn't Harmony Central. No. ;)

I did, however, take the liberty of changing the thread title to something more appropriate, so I don't have to say "OMG MAKE PROPER TITLES N00B!".

Wiggywiggler

ss.org erroneous
Reaction score
So, I searched "N00B":
"Showing results 1 to 25 of 100
Search took 0.98 seconds. "
:lol:

Seriously, try to get your hands (and ears too) on different pickups to find out wat you want. After all , you want it, not anyone else.
And please go with passives :D

CGord

Reaction score
Air Norton / JB is my preferred setup.

In a mahogany guitar, IMO, it just doesn't get any better than that.

In basswood, however, the JB and Evo pickups can sound thin, depending on the actual guitar. I had a JB 7 in a basswood ESP and it sounded terrible, but when I transplanted it to my mahogany Ibanez S7, it was incredible.

I'm a big fan of the JB 7, the Evo 7 (for extremely high gain, higher than many actives from my experience), and the AN7. I think Seymour Duncan makes a Jazz 7 too, but I'd still recommend the AN7 for the neck pickup. I've heard the Evo 7 is pretty cool in the neck position too, but I've never tried it.

I'm actually very interested in trying out a Tone Zone 7 myself.

Oh, and hey no prob on the thread move :yesway:

So you're using SD & DiMarzio in the same guitar? Air Norton in the neck? This thing is alder, no idea what will work in it. I have SD's in two basswood six string guitars, a Dimebucker in one & an SH-6 Distortion in the other. My C1 Hellraiser has EMG's & is mahogany. This will be my first seven & first alder body. I'm leaning towards a DiMarzio, just for having not tried the brand yet.

I use neck pups for high-gain lead & clean rhythm playing, & the bridge pup for high-gain rhythm & lead, sometimes clean if I want someting chimey. 95% of my stuff is distorted bridge rhythm.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So you're using SD & DiMarzio in the same guitar? Air Norton in the neck? This thing is alder, no idea what will work in it. I have SD's in two basswood six string guitars, a Dimebucker in one & an SH-6 Distortion in the other. My C1 Hellraiser has EMG's & is mahogany. This will be my first seven & first alder body. I'm leaning towards a DiMarzio, just for having not tried the brand yet.

I use neck pups for high-gain lead & clean rhythm playing, & the bridge pup for high-gain rhythm & lead, sometimes clean if I want someting chimey. 95% of my stuff is distorted bridge rhythm.

These MAY be basswood. Someone mentioned on one of the other threads that the later model WG587 were basswood and that they had confirmed it with Washburn. Given that the list price on music123 was wrong it seems possible. I've also googled and found a couple of references to these having basswood bodies :rant:

CGord

Reaction score
I just got off the phone w/Washburn, & the rep said they could be either, nothing about early & late models. He asked for a serial number initially, which I do not have. I'll call them again once I have the guitar & see if they can get me any more specific info. I'm OK with basswood, though I prefer alder just because I don't own one yet. Either way, I really do want to know which one mine will turn out to be.

Loserchief

Rokuban Taicho
Reaction score
You can't go wrong with the Air Norton 7 in the neck, especially if you want it for cleans and high gain leads. That pup is just godly and works in nearly any guitar.
As for the bridge you should wait what your guitar actually is before deciding on that. But i love my Evo-7 in my alder jackson(though it took some time fideling with pup height).

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I just got off the phone w/Washburn, & the rep said they could be either, nothing about early & late models. He asked for a serial number initially, which I do not have. I'll call them again once I have the guitar & see if they can get me any more specific info. I'm OK with basswood, though I prefer alder just because I don't own one yet. Either way, I really do want to know which one mine will turn out to be.

Good to know. Mine is showing as 'processing in wharehouse' so I should have it by mid week. I guess I'll have to call Washburn with the serial number after I get it to find out...

I'll probably end up going with either Blaze bridge/Blaze neck of Evo7 bridge/Blaze neck depending on what the body wood is. That's assuming I like the neck and decide to put pups in it :lol:

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of the DiMarzio Blaze Custom and Air Norton 7. That's what I've got in one of my basswood Ibbies, and it's my favorite pickup configuration I've played yet (though I haven't tried Bareknuckles yet). They're fantastic for heavy metal, but they're still versatile enough to do just about anything.

DeL07

SS.org Sushi Whore
Reaction score
DiMarzio PAF7s are really awesome sounding pickups! I absolutely love mine...

But if you want THE ultimate kept secret pickups, APC Pickups are the shit! :fawk: The Persuader Lead Custom is hotter than a fucking EMG 81! Everything is so well balanced and amazing sounding! I've got a set in my Gibson and they seriously rip! Best part, they ain't even active!

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
DiMarzio PAF7s are really awesome sounding pickups! I absolutely love mine...

But if you want THE ultimate kept secret pickups, APC Pickups are the shit! :fawk: The Persuader Lead Custom is hotter than a fucking EMG 81! Everything is so well balanced and amazing sounding! I've got a set in my Gibson and they seriously rip! Best part, they ain't even active!

You do understand pickups sound radically different depending on body wood, right? Both of the guitars you mentioned are mahogany, we're talking about basswood/alder.

Also, according to their website APC doesn't seem to currently be making seven string pickups.

')