Pickup advice

• Thread starter DagMX
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DagMX

Reaction score
I just got me a lovely Kramer Striker 7 string with an LFR. Black with an alder body and maple neck.
Its got the stock gibson pickups which are nice(especially clean), but aren't exactly meaty. they have a very stratish tone when I put distortion on unless I'm playing on the low B which is pretty nice.I like the tones, I just want something more metal-sounding when distorted but that cleans up nicely. Also no actives.

What are some good and not-too-pricey 7 string pickups? people have recomended evolution 7s to me, but everything looks the same on the d'marzio website.

I mostly play Metallica, dream theatre, megadeth and pantera when I'm doing covers, but I also play some jazzy/bluesy stuff and some older stuff like Bad Company, beatles etc...

thanks guys

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan

Reaction score
According to thr things youre playing you might should try some EMGs, Seymour Duncans, or Dimarzios.. :yesway: lol

DagMX

Reaction score
According to thr things youre playing you might should try some EMGs, Seymour Duncans, or Dimarzios.. :yesway: lol

well EMGs are out of the question and I can't try out any of the pickups before buying cus there are so few 7 string players over here.
Any particular models for what I'm looking for?

I'm thinking either a pair of D'activators or a tone-zone+an evolution

Eric

Reaction score
I just bought a D -Activator :yesway:

All of my pickups are Dimarzios so there's my vote.

DagMX

Reaction score
I just bought a D -Activator :yesway:

All of my pickups are Dimarzios so there's my vote.

Install it yet? What are the cleans like and does it sound good distorted? And(gasps for air), how much did it cost?

On another note, these are the best stock pickups I've played! I turned the tone knob half way down and its brutal...maybe I'll just save up for a good amp first..

Eric

Reaction score
Nope, just sitting in the box... I paid $65 shipped for it new from a member on this site. You can get them new on Ebay for a good price. I have DiMarzio Blazes all my UVs (stock) and they sound badass on clean and distorted both. As for the amp thing... I think you should definately get a decent amp first, that will probably achieve help your sound more than the pickups will.

DagMX

Reaction score
Nope, just sitting in the box... I paid $65 shipped for it new from a member on this site. You can get them new on Ebay for a good price. I have DiMarzio Blazes all my UVs (stock) and they sound badass on clean and distorted both. As for the amp thing... I think you should definately get a decent amp first, that will probably achieve help your sound more than the pickups will.

Yeah, I think I'll try and get a new amp...this fender frontman 15W amp really isn't able to handle the low end...

Eric

Reaction score
Haha... I practice on a frontman 15...

GET A NEW AMP! :D

Latest posts

')