Pickup advise

hobofromhell

Reaction score
I just recently purchased my first 7 string. It's an Ibanez RG7321. It's a great guitar other than the fact that I really don't like the pickups. I initially planned to put some active EMGs in it after purchasing it but then after thinking about it I realized that doing that is going to require body modifications so there is a place to put the 9v and the pickups already cost over 100 dollars. It's looking like putting active EMGs in this guitar is going to cost more than the guitar did. So I've pretty much decided I'm going to get some nice passive pickups. Any suggestions? I've never changed the stock pickups in a guitar before so I really don't know anything about it. I listen to and play mostly metal and I don't aim to mimic but I really like bands like dethklok, as blood runs black, and the human abstract. Any suggestions for a good set of pickups that would cost between 200-300 including installation would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Scookers

Reaction score
I like my Dimarzio Evolution in the bridge and I just put in a Dimarzio Air Norton in the neck position. The evo gives you the tight rhythm that I was looking for. It's an unforgiving pickup though. It is crystal clear even in extreme amounts of distortion. No hiding behind the wall of noise. The Air Norton is much smoother. Great for the soloing like sweeps and finger tapping. These pickups are about $70. I don't know if you know how to solder or if you want to learn, but installing them isn't that hard. The diagrams are all online. I also recommend changing out the usually shitty parts they throw in those guitars with premium components. Like switchcraft output jack, CRL pickups selector switch, maybe good quality pots, that sort of stuff. If you don't want to even attempt it, take it in. But I was always the diy type. Anyway, there is a huge pickup guide under the pickup section here that will go over tons of pickups. These are just two that I have and use. There are lots of choices out there. I like Dimarzio and that's what I usually stick with. There are Seymour Duncans, Bareknuckles, Lundgrens, all kinds of choices even within the brands. Read some reviews, check them out online, and if at all possible go to a music store and try them out. Guitar Center is great for this since they let anyone beat the shit out of their guitars. Good luck!

anthonyfaso

lolwut
Reaction score
BKP has plenty of great options, or you could always go with the DiMarzio route like the CrunchLab/LiquiFire. I'd stay away from the EMG hz.

xMaNgOxKusHx

Reaction score
BKP has plenty of great options, or you could always go with the DiMarzio route like the CrunchLab/LiquiFire. I'd stay away from the EMG hz.

^^^This. :yesway:

Definitely a good choice for the tone that you say you like!

Darren James

Reaction score
I'm a EMG guy but I definitely agree with staying away from the EMG HZ pickups. You don't need to mod the guitar for a nine volt. You can just place it in the back cavity where your volume and tone are. I also really like the DiMarzio CrunchLab/LiquiFire setup, it's a tasty sound and the price is nice as well.

filipe200x

Custom is better
Reaction score
I never tried it, but you can also get the Seymour Duncan Blackouts Phase I Set. I heard it's better than the EMG's, like an active without the sterile sound.

-42-

Nothing to see here
Reaction score
DeActivators would be the ticket if you originally intended to install active pickups.

I prefer Super Distortions, but I'm just an old fogey at heart.

areyna21

Reaction score
For basswood guitars bareknuckles and dimarzios have always worked best for me. To cut cost and get the best sound possible i would do a miracle man in the bridge because they are compared to being a better passive emg and work well in basswood. I would throw a liquifier in the neck because this also works well in basswood and is a very good neck pickup. If you go to the axe palace the miracle man will cost 140 and the liquifier will be 70 bucks so its in your budget. The crunchlab is a really good pickup also. A lot of people are switching to the crunchlab luiquifier setup because it sounds good espcially in basswood.

Matti_Ice

TR Guitarist
Reaction score
In my RG I put an Evo in the bridge and left the Axis 7 in the neck (i personally LOVE the axis in the neck). No matter what I always put a fresh new 250k volume pot in, always seems to help. But it seems like you want a more brutal tone. To avoid all the mods of actives, may I suggest the DiMarzio X2N? Its a monster of a PU, I used it for a long time before needing to tame my tone down. Its such a hot pickup, I still had a distortion even when switching over to my clean channel. Worth looking into