Pickup choices

Caleb Pels

Death Metal Guitarist
Reaction score
Wondering if i should go fishman fluence ore nazgul/sentient on strandy custom 7.
i'm fairly new to the pickup game, but my band plays disso death metal in the style of Mitochondrion
thanks

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
either set would work for dm. How much do you care about versatility/good cleans? Do you like bright pickups?
the nazgul is pretty much good for chugs/br00tz and not much else imo. the cleans are ok, split sounds are alright. Sentient is a very bland neck pickup, a bit too spiky for legato/sweeps imo. The fluence set wired with v1/v2 and coil split would give you a lot of options. The bridge chugs just as well as the nazgul imo, and the neck is much smoother sounding than the sentient. The downside is the fluence moderns can be quite bright and obnoxious if you don't use the hf tilt option. The nazgul has this croaky, borderline nasally voicing in some guitars that can be very unpleasant, especially in brighter guitars. I loved it in my all mahogany avenger since it tamed that voicing, but YMMV.