Pickup Color Codes and Diagrams - for all Humbuckers

asmegin_slayer

cali-cornia bluffer
Reaction score
It was frustrating going through the forums to find info on a simple pickup replacement.. So I took my time and searched the interwebs to find and help everyone.

Everyone seemed to be told to go to GuitarElectronics.com GuitarElectronics.com Home Page for pickup diagrams.. and even though it is a very helpful site, it did leave me the problem of trying to figure out what the hell the "North/South/finish" words meant? "What colors goes to which?"...

Fortunately I found the answers and I'm sharing it with all of you.

So I found a helpful picture form Seymourduncan's website of what the coloring is meant not only on theirs, but to other pickup companies.. Kudos for Seymour.... :yesway:

color_codes.jpg

UPDATE:

I found more for different pickup companies below. The diagrams below show the color codes and standard humbucker wiring configuration (series in phase) for the most popular guitar & bass humbuckers including: Anderson, Bare Knuckle, Bartolini, Benedetto, Bill Lawrence, DiMarzio, EMG-HZ, Fender, Gibson, Gotoh, Ibanez, Jackson, Peavey, Schaller, Seymour Duncan & Shadow

GuitarElectronics.com Pickup Color Codes

anderson.jpg
bareknuckle.jpg

bartolini.jpg
benedetto.jpg

billlawrence.jpg
dimarzio.jpg

emg.jpg
fender.jpg

gibson.jpg
gotoh.jpg

ibanez_1.jpg
gotoh.jpg

ibanez_2.jpg
jackson.jpg

peavey.jpg
schaller.jpg

seymourduncan.jpg
shadow.jpg

1 Pickup Guitar Wiring Diagrams <-Click here for other configurations...

Ex.
wd1h0010_00.jpg

2 Pickup Guitar Wiring Diagrams <-Click here for other configurations...

Ex.
wd2hh3t11_00.jpg

3 Pickup Guitar Wiring Diagrams <-Click here for other configurations...

Ex.
wd3sss5l12_000.jpg

I hope this helps everyone...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

techjsteele

Gear Junkie
Contributor
Reaction score
That was awesome of the OP to collect all that info into one thread for everyone to reference. I will be making use of this diagram personally. Thanks!

Auyard

Reaction score
So glad I stumbled on this, my BKP is coming in tomorrow. Need help though. In the attachment I uploaded what I (roughly) circled in red, is that really a wire going from the prong on the pot to the back of the pot? Also does the ground wire have to touch the bridge? I'm confused about the entire ground wire thing, will the BKP come with a ground wire or do I need to ask my local music store for a wire (is there an official name for the wire?)

Attachments

• Diagram1.JPG
    Diagram1.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 224

Andrew_B

Reaction score
So glad I stumbled on this, my BKP is coming in tomorrow. Need help though. In the attachment I uploaded what I (roughly) circled in red, is that really a wire going from the prong on the pot to the back of the pot?

yep

Also does the ground wire have to touch the bridge?

yep
whats the point of grounding if the most touched areas arent grounded, they are the strings and bridge....

I'm confused about the entire ground wire thing, will the BKP come with a ground wire or do I need to ask my local music store for a wire (is there an official name for the wire?)

you didnt do a good job of reading the above did you?

Every single pickup has a ground wire...

i think you might be better off getting it installed rather than installing it yourself :yesway:

also, asmegin_slayer, good work on the thred.....
iv been thinking about making one on soldering and wiring....
but im lazy :fawk:

asmegin_slayer

cali-cornia bluffer
Reaction score
So glad I stumbled on this, my BKP is coming in tomorrow. Need help though. In the attachment I uploaded what I (roughly) circled in red, is that really a wire going from the prong on the pot to the back of the pot? Also does the ground wire have to touch the bridge? I'm confused about the entire ground wire thing, will the BKP come with a ground wire or do I need to ask my local music store for a wire (is there an official name for the wire?)

yep

yep
whats the point of grounding if the most touched areas arent grounded, they are the strings and bridge....

also, asmegin_slayer, good work on the thred.....
iv been thinking about making one on soldering and wiring....
but im lazy :fawk:

Auyard, if you look at the picture you just uploaded and on the bottom left hand corner, you'll see that you can solder the ground to the back of the volume pot as well.. I did this as well to my dimarzio that i just got yesterday and I hear no bad noise or anything.. Whever is closest the nearest ground i'd say... But if your wire is long enough to go to the bridge, then you can do that as well..

Andrew, thanks for the comments!! much appreciated! :hbang:

Scali

Banned
Reaction score
You linked to Ibanez_1 twice... There are two different ones:
ibanez_1.jpg

ibanez_2.jpg

In fact, there's at least one other option with Ibanez. In my 1994 RG, they only have three wires, not 4. The serial link is apparently done internally. Two of the wires are just the ground and hot ones, and the third can be used to put one of the coils to ground to make it a 'single coil'.

asmegin_slayer

cali-cornia bluffer
Reaction score
You linked to Ibanez_1 twice... There are two different ones:

In fact, there's at least one other option with Ibanez. In my 1994 RG, they only have three wires, not 4. The serial link is apparently done internally. Two of the wires are just the ground and hot ones, and the third can be used to put one of the coils to ground to make it a 'single coil'.

Good catch! I edited it with the correct one.

Also, can you probably edit a new diagram of the 3 wire pickup you are describing with the colors so that we can add it here?

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
Could I request the addition of Lundgren? Took me a hot-minute to figure out when I wired my 7321. Ultimately it came out fine, but my switch is technically wired backwards. ;)

Omrat

Reaction score
I suspect, that BKP color codes are not right in the first post.
I had problems wiring my BKP-s and I got this information from Tim via email:

North Start - Red
North Finish - Green
Soth Finish - White
Soth Start - Black

asmegin_slayer

cali-cornia bluffer
Reaction score
Could I request the addition of Lundgren? Took me a hot-minute to figure out when I wired my 7321. Ultimately it came out fine, but my switch is technically wired backwards. ;)

If you can provide the colors of the wire and there North/South start/finish? I would love to add it in the thread

I suspect, that BKP color codes are not right in the first post.
I had problems wiring my BKP-s and I got this information from Tim via email:

North Start - Red
North Finish - Green
South Finish - White
South Start - Black

Excellent man, I'll see if I can edit the picture and provide an alternative option if its the same with other people?

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Great thread and approved for Sticky goodness!