Pickup Config: H-S-H vs H-H

Which pickup config?

• Total voters

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Its kinda like JEM/UV vs the normal dual humbucker setup. Is the single coil (most likely a blaze mid) really that crucial to sound? Will it really make better cleans than say an AN7/blaze neck with a coil split?

Post your experiences and let me know. I have never had a H-S-H 7 so dont know the impact of the middle single.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
The notch positions sound more "strat-like" than the inside coils of 2 hums, but I find the single coil to be useless on it's own. :shrug:

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
Either HH or SSH for me. I was never big on the middle single coil on a HSH guitar, since you lose that position two sound that you get with two humbuckers.

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm thinking the additional pickup configs will be nice - but wont say a nice pull/push (whichever one) pot that enables coil taps sound just as good/better?

Apophis

Banned
Reaction score
Maybe something like 5 singles in PRS513 - that's a versatility.

Personally I like better HH, but for versatility HSH plus some better pots and switches configuration.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
Personally prefer h-h as i find the single coil gets in the way of my picking style a wee bit.

I concur. I don't find myself needing the single coil or notch positions unless specifically going for a strat type of sound.

I prefer the 2xH setup with the split in the center position ala JP. That center split position is what I used for my clean tone.

Pirelli

Reaction score
I've found the middle pickup quite useful for a few reasons. First you get some different sounds which is cool and you also have to use "better" technique when you're picking so that you don't hit it.

You can't go as far past the string, so to avoid hitting it you become more economical.

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
Personally prefer h-h as i find the single coil gets in the way of my picking style a wee bit.

& +1 @ Dave. the middle gets in the way when i pick, and unless the guitar is a SSS or HSS, i never use the middle coil anyways.

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
& +1 @ Dave. the middle gets in the way when i pick, and unless the guitar is a SSS or HSS, i never use the middle coil anyways.

Leon might be hitting you up for a custom wiring diagram, involving two humbuckers, volume pot, tone push/pull for splitting the coils, and a 3 way mini toggle switch.

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
hmm... i don't know if you can split both pickups with just one push/pull. at least, i haven't tried it yet :)

sepherus

The Crimson Comedian
Contributor
Reaction score
im not a terribly huge fan of it. unless its a SSH setups or SSS i wouldnt even bother with it. my neck in parallel is good enough if i want singlecoil tones. or i could wire it up so it do front coils back coils to get more of the strat 2 and 4 sounds. its all in the wiring.

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
Ideally? One of each, and one of any other pickup combination available. I have 4 electric guitars and none of them sound the same (S-S-H Strat, mahogany baritone with single H, basswood H-H with passives, mahogany H-H with EMGs) and plan on collecting in a similar way in the future (still want S-S-S, H-S, and all of the above in both 6-string and 7-string, and baritone, with piezos :fawk: -> GAS :lol:)

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Definitely H-H for me, especially since there are no good readily available single coil pickups for 7s really. Coil tapped hums sound awesome, no need.

That said, nothings worse than a Hum in the middle position.

Latest posts