Pickup for Carvin DC800?

• Thread starter Toejam
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Toejam

Reaction score
So I just placed an order for a Carvin DC800, and I'm only getting it with a bridge pickup and one volume (push/pull for coil split) and I can send in my own pickup for them to install. The guitar will be standard alder body/maple neck-thru with ebony board. The body also needs to have a top for the paint lines to meet up correctly since I'm getting it painted two different colors (backside and neck one color, the top of body and headstock another), so I decided on a mahogany top.

Was thinking of getting a Duncan Pegasus, but also thought about the DiMarzio D Activator or Ionizer, but not sure of what I want yet. Any other suggestions?
I'll mostly be playing old-school type thrash metal (Slayer, Testament, Overkill, etc.) meets death metal, some hard/classic rock with a little Meshuggah thrown in. :lol: I'd like something that's balanced and clear without being too bright or muddy.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score

Toejam

Reaction score
Yes, very similar to that. I've seen the pearl green/black one before, and also a white top/red back ST300. I placed the order with the head guy, Jeff Kiesel, and it was almost completed when I asked him about needing a top. He told me it was good I asked, because I actually do need a top, otherwise the guys in the paint department would kick the order back. I don't know why they can't do it now, but not that big of a deal for me. That red/black idea of yours is killer, too!

BTW, I'm going with two metallic colors... pearl blue on the back, blue mist on the front... all matte satin finish.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
OK, I've got a problem with this. Did they also say it was $100 extra for the paint job? That part makes sense but why would they need a top when the top paint is completely flat fronted? They only need to mask the sides like with black back and sides option. It doesn't go over the edge to extend down the thickness of the top. I can understand needing a top for the natural and colored binding as that is on the side edge. You should question this further since the top paint would be no different whatsoever whether there is a top or not. The only way you should be required to pay for a top is if you wanted the side natural or colored binding stripe.

Or did you ask them to paint over the top edges too for a little bit to show on the sides?

Rev.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
Well then crap, strike everything I said cause that makes sense then :yesway: Good luck on the build, sounds killer,

Rev.

Black Mamba

Reaction score
I'd look into either a Duncan Distortion or Nazgul.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
I haven't tried any of the Duncans mentioned, but I can vouch for the D-Activator being able to handle the styles you mentioned :yesway: I haven't tried it split, though.

Toejam

Reaction score
I do already have the 7-string D-Activator set in my AW-7 LTD, and I do like them a lot. Maybe I should just get it for the 8.

bschmidt

chug life
Reaction score
I have a d activator in my dc800. it sounds really nice, but the pickup is a little small for the stock pickups routing so the poles don't align with the strings 100% and it looks a little bit off aesthetically. another alternative could be lace; the other guitarist in my band has a dc800 with a deathbar in it that he loves. it sounds pretty mean as well.

')