Pickup makers and techs - HELP!

Schaug

Reaction score
I need to replace a plastic baseplate on a pickup just like this:
Dimarzio D Sonic 7 (great great pickup btw)
UsWYb90.jpg

The old one broke on one of the places where the mounting screw goes so I made an exact replacement out of hard plastic. So, is it safe to unscrew these 4 screws and replace a plate? Is it only screwed in or glued too? Should I wrap a spare one in copper foil or something? Are there any wires connected to the plate considering its not made out of metal?

Thanks for your help, I just could not find any viable advice on the net apart from: 'Don't do it!' , 'Buy a new pickup!' and such... :nuts:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I will say it is ok to change the pickup's base plate. I had to change my AirNorton's and Evo's wire leads for new ones (the originals where becoming too short for reuse) so I had to take them apart. I am not sure, but I think that the base plate face turned upside might have a leaf of copper foil or conductive whatever material. Take a look into it when disassembling the pickup. Also, I took care not to mess with the magnet nor the coils individually. I did not set the coils apart from which other nor changed the magnets position. This is what you will need to do if you don't have the knowledge to put it back again.

Be sure to do it with peace of mind so you won't break anything else.

Also note that this is not the same as disassembling a watch, it has few different elements, which makes for a low amount of possible combinations for reassembling correctly.

Don't take the binding tape off, and you'll be just fine. Do not apply to much force into any attempt of disassembling (I love this word... lol). It should not have glue but some sort of wax.

Schaug

Reaction score
Thanks man, I suppose that the coils inside are already 'waxed together' so they should not fall apart when I unscrew the baseplate?

I guess I should glue at least one layer of copper foil over the plate just in case :idea:
but considering it's not made of metal I don't see the point of that... XD

Reaction score
If you don't remove the tape around the coils, they won't fall apart. The purpose for the copper foil would be for shielding, but I am not sure there, do look closely to the removed base-plate. Also be careful with metal contacts on that surface, they might short-circuit the pickup. Make sure that the coils' leads DON'T TOUCH this "shielding". If the new base-plate is made of metal materials, then there should not be needed additional shielding...

')