Pickup Noob: From Actives to Passives (Or Blackouts)

• Thread starter InAbsentia_
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

InAbsentia_

Reaction score
So, I don't really like the sound of EMGs on my new Schecter Hellraiser and want them switched out. I get too much mud on the E, A and D strings which makes lead playing sound like anus.

How hard is it to switch to passive pickups from actives? Which pickups would suit my guitar (I can afford pretty much any pickup at the minute) and what do you think of the EMG 81/89 combo? Would you personally switch them out in favour of passives or Blackouts?

Thanks for any help.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

shogunate

Reaction score
ive used active pickups exclusively for years, and personally am venturing in Bare Knuckle Pickups myself, you may want to check them out on your own.

as far as EMGs, i owned the exact guitar you do now and youve definitely got options if you like active pickup tone. what youre probably hearing on the lower end strings is the compression and mushing of notes due to the scooped compression of the 81. you can greatly expand the headroom of your guitar just by adding an additional 9v battery in parallel connection with the existing battery to do an 18v mod, which gives the pickups more power and a TON more headroom, so the notes wont distort (as much, anyway) before they hit your amp, which youre probably looking to get away from.

as far as the split coil 81/89 combo, i find they do exactly as designated, no more, no less. they give you the exact tone you have now, just a single coil format. the 60 sounds much much better for cleans in the neck than the split 89, a single coil chime with humbucker balls. very acoustic and is my favorite pickup EMG makes.

if you want to switch to blackouts, youll get a lot more clarity, a lot more control, but also a less compressed sound. i think they would clear up your tonal problems with the EMGs now if youre looking for a more organic, livlier tone.

what sounds are you looking for in your cleans/distortion? what amp are you running through?

shogunate

Reaction score
wow yes thank you. DO NOT wire them in parallel, you want one battery going straight into the other in one straight shot, series. i didnt realize how asleep i was until you caught that, thank you man lol

parallel wired batteries in your active setup would probably have some interesting and damaging results... wouldnt recommend it.

oh and as far as switching, the blackouts can be dropped directly in without any wiring work to worry about, switching to actives would require you going through and rewiring the electronics and getting rid of the battery as well. if you dont know how to solder, just bring it to a local tech, no problems.

klutvott

Reaction score
There should be no problems if you wire them in parallel. The only result would be double batterylife i believe. :)

InAbsentia: I personally wouldn't bother switching out the EMG's for blackouts. They do NOT sound like passives like some people might say. They have more low end and sound more scooped than the EMG's. If clarity is what you want i would check out BKP's. I'm sure zimbloth could point you in the right direction. If you know how to solder it's not very hard. But like shogunate said you would have to change the pots. :)

InAbsentia_

Reaction score
wow yes thank you. DO NOT wire them in parallel, you want one battery going straight into the other in one straight shot, series. i didnt realize how asleep i was until you caught that, thank you man lol

parallel wired batteries in your active setup would probably have some interesting and damaging results... wouldnt recommend it.

oh and as far as switching, the blackouts can be dropped directly in without any wiring work to worry about, switching to actives would require you going through and rewiring the electronics and getting rid of the battery as well. if you dont know how to solder, just bring it to a local tech, no problems.

How comes the Blackouts don't require any soldering? Does this have anything to do with quick connect? Thanks for the useful info btw!

HamBungler

Lord Zorgatron
Reaction score
^Yes, the Blackouts have quik-connect terminals, its just a matter of popping one out and popping the other in. Duncan also have a great return policy so you can try them out and if you're not satisfied you can get your money back.

')