Pickup Recommendation for RG7321..

• Thread starter slammer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

slammer

Reaction score
hi there..I've just bought an Ibanez RG7321, and so far i'm really happy with it, except pickups! Its kinda so much "KoRny" sound :lol: I gave up playing them some time ago and started to play some badass lo-tuned metal stuff..So, i want to change the pick-ups of this beauty..I did some research and found some, which are:

DiMarzio Blaze 7 Neck / Evo 7 Bridge Set,
Blaze 7 Full Set,
S.Duncan Blackout Phase II Set,
EMG-707 (sold separately)

So..I do like playin' hard stuff like Whitechapel, Carnifex, Suicide Silence and so on, and i tuned the 7th string to A..Not much different from the default settings at all :rolleyes: I'm waiting for your answers..

And one more thing..Is there any chance for this pick-ups NOT to fit my default pickup hole? I think it should not be, cuz all of the 7 string pickups have the same dimensions..At least, i suppose so :lol: See ya..

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BrainArt

Deftones Guru.
Reaction score
The EMG 707 and the Blackout Phase IIs *will* have to be routed out for. And if you go Blackout Phase I, you have to route the cavity deeper for them to fit.

If you want hot and powerful, I would suggest the DiMarzio X2N 7 in the bridge, I have one in my 7321FM and it absolutely slays, it should have no problem getting close to the sounds you want.

For the neck position, I would suggest the Blaze Neck, since that's what I have in mine, and it's a really good match for the X2N 7. :yesway:

BrainArt

Deftones Guru.
Reaction score
The pickup routes will have to be made larger. EMG and the Phase II Blackouts use bass-sized housings for their 7-string pickups. And the Phase I Blackouts are passive-sized, but much taller, so you have to route out a deeper cavity for them to fit properly.

slammer

Reaction score
Shall i enlarge the pickup cavity in deeper? I pretend as a poor-minded guy, sorry for that, but i've never heard such a term of "routing"..Where can i find a pictured explanation for this "routing" process?

BrainArt

Deftones Guru.
Reaction score
Shall i enlarge the pickup cavity in deeper? I pretend as a poor-minded guy, sorry for that, but i've never heard such a term of "routing"..Where can i find a pictured explanation for this "routing" process?

Routing is when you take a router (a tool, obviously), and expand the pickup cavities with it. The EMGs and Blackout Phase IIs are larger than the stock pickups in the RG7321, and most Ibanez 7-strings.

The RG7321 http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/6/8/1/416681.jpg

A Schecter Jeff Loomis with EMG 707s. http://www.pulseonline.com/Schecter/bigJeffLoomisC7FR.jpg

As you can see from the Schecter, the pickups are larger. With the Blackout Phase Is, you will have to route the pickup cavity down, so the inside of it goes deeper into the body.

Really, it's all up to you, if you want to route out the cavities of your guitar, that's perfectly fine with me. I'm just trying to help you find alternatives before you go at your guitar with a drill or something.

slammer

Reaction score
now i got it, thanks a million :) my guitar is kinda new to be drilled cuz i think i'll choose some dimarzio's like a Blaze set ;)

Opeth666

Reaction score
i have dimarzios in my rg7321, a liquifire in the neck and a d sonic in the bridge and my lord do I love them really brings this POS guitar to life.

BrainArt

Deftones Guru.
Reaction score
how would these pup's response after stock pup's of RG7321?

The Blaze set is PERFECT for Basswood. Which is what the 7321 is made out of. I love my Blaze Neck I have in the neck position.

Like I said, if you want power and aggression as well, try out the DiMarzio X2N 7, it's amazing.

MJS

Reaction score
DiMarzio Blaze 7 Neck / Evo 7 Bridge

That's what I have. :yesway:

The wiring colors are different... and I forget, but something was weird with the diagrams I had for them, so I emailed Dimarzio & they sent me the attached image to use.

Attachments

• RG1527DiMarzio.jpg
    RG1527DiMarzio.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 26

Damo707

Ibaninja
Reaction score
That's what I have. :yesway:

The wiring colors are different... and I forget, but something was weird with the diagrams I had for them, so I emailed Dimarzio & they sent me the attached image to use.

Just wondering if your guitar had the stock 5 way in it or an after market?
The Ibanez switches are weird..

MJS

Reaction score
Just wondering if your guitar had the stock 5 way in it or an after market?
The Ibanez switches are weird..

I don't have the guitar anymore, but it was just the stock Ibanez switch--I just changed the pickups & pots.

slammer

Reaction score
I've been using an Evo-7 on Bridge since the time i've bought this guitar. But now, especially the 7th string does not feel "powerful" enough, it fades away fastly and doesnt sustain at all. Trust me, its nothing to do with guitars routine stuff like tuning, using high gauge string (its 12-56 btw), or neck height.. Does it worth to replace it with a D-Activator 7 ?

')