Pickup recommendations for esp horizon

• Thread starter greendog86
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

greendog86

Reaction score
hello guys!
for the last two years im playing my horizon nt2 loaded with emg pickups.
at first i installed an 81-85 set and later i swapped the neck pickup
with a 60 for better clean tone , and also did the 18v mod for better overall
sound quality and dynamics.
while the 81 (bridge, 18v) has one of the best distorted tones ive heard
the 60 produce an average-low clean tone (still the best active pickup for clean imo).
so i thought maybe to swap the active set for a good high output passive set like bkp warpigs or aftermaths
but lately i heard about the emg 60a pickup (the same 60 but with an alnico magnet instead of ceramic) that suppose to have a really good clean tone.
dose anyone here had the chance to try the 60a, and what do you think about it's clean tone? is it a big improvement over the regular 60, or you think
i should just say goodby to actives and go with a passive set?
and if so what pickup set will give me that tight emg81's distorsion but with good clean neck tones?

ahhh so many questions! :eek::wallbash:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Camer138

Reaction score
I loved the Anderson h3 in my horizon. Honestly couldn't imagine the guitar sounding better in any way.

Chuck

Reaction score
Just do it as guy from Parkway Drive in his Horizon :) http://data.whicdn.com/images/19441386/6328682417_6b0495a4b7_large.jpg Explaining - mix active with passive - put EMG 81 in the bridge and a passive Duncan in the neck, I believe he uses sh2, anyway I'd go for it or sh1 for clean tone and nice lead.

Uhhm no. That guitar comes with either EMG's or Duncans. Since he plays metal I can easily assume he is using the bridge pickup at least 80% of the time. So I don't think he even uses the neck pickup. Lastly you cannot mix active and passive pickups, to my knowledge.

Itchyman

Reaction score
Uhhm no. That guitar comes with either EMG's or Duncans. Since he plays metal I can easily assume he is using the bridge pickup at least 80% of the time. So I don't think he even uses the neck pickup. Lastly you cannot mix active and passive pickups, to my knowledge.
Of course you can. You just want them on different circuits and terminate at the jack individually.

greendog86

Reaction score
i dont think its a good idea to mix actives with passives.
i guess it can be done, technically, but i dont like to mess things and make
them over complicated when its not necessary.
not mention the volume\gain drop when switching from bridge to neck, and i also think a guitar with a black covered emg pickup and an opencoil passive just looks... bad .
maybe it works for some players... but i like to keep things simple:
all active or all passive.
im just interested if someone played the emg60a and can tell me
about its clean tone qualities vs the regular emg60 and passive neck pickups.

anyway, after listening to many aftermath clips... i really dig its tone.
the bridge aftermath is toned kinda like the 81 but has a "fuller" body with that noticeable "djnet-ish" mid boost and i guess because it is lower output it will be more dynamic.
i didnt find too many "aftermath neck clean" clips, but from what i listened to
it has a very modern yet woody and warm tone ala "periphery-all new materials"... if you get me, which i really like.
anyone tried the aftermath set on an esp horizon?

btw this anderson h3 sounds awesome! first time i hear about this pickup

Last edited:

Camer138

Reaction score
btw this anderson h3 sounds awesome! first time i hear about this pickup

Its Tom Anderson's pickup line that he puts in his guitars. Beautiful guitars, check em out some time! These pickups have the best split coil cleans I've ever heard as well.

')