Pickup recommendations for Schecter PT7

cat6oo

Reaction score
Hi everyone, long time lurker here.

Just wondering what people would recommend for a Schecter Hellraiser Hybrid PT7 pickup swap. Currently has the EMG 57/66 set in there. I play through a line 6 Helix or a bogner shiva clone onoccasion.
I currently like the sound of the neck, nice and fluid but not muddy or poorly defined, the bridge sounds kinda muffled/congested and lacks upper mid aggressiveness (think snarl rather than high end bite).
I have tried a SD Pegasus in a similar guitar for about a year and it wasn't my thing.

Main genres are prog metal (not djent), prog rock and death metal.

Keen to hear your thoughts, active or passive are both fine.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
Hi everyone, long time lurker here.

Just wondering what people would recommend for a Schecter Hellraiser Hybrid PT7 pickup swap. Currently has the EMG 57/66 set in there. I play through a line 6 Helix or a bogner shiva clone onoccasion.
I currently like the sound of the neck, nice and fluid but not muddy or poorly defined, the bridge sounds kinda muffled/congested and lacks upper mid aggressiveness (think snarl rather than high end bite).
I have tried a SD Pegasus in a similar guitar for about a year and it wasn't my thing.

Main genres are prog metal (not djent), prog rock and death metal.

Keen to hear your thoughts, active or passive are both fine.

I'm getting a Guitarmory Foxbat (ceramic) set installed into my Hellraiser Hybrid PT7. I'll let you know how it turns out once I get it back from the shop!

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
My generic answer would be try duncan black winters or nazgul if you're going passive. If you're staying active, get the emg 81-7x bridge or some fishman moderns.

if none of those work for you, here's some other pickups that snarl like a mofo:
dimarzio d-sonic (tight with a snarly and grindy midrange, meh cleans), bkp black dog (very snarly and clear, lower output, not as tight, and has solid cleans), elysian goliath (extremely snarly and clear, very heavy midrange, cleans up well), guitarmory patriot (very tight, bright and aggressive, with a snarling midrange as well, meh cleans)

Zoobiedood

Reaction score
+1 on the Black Winters. I might not choose the Nazgul if you require a little versatility. It is great at what it does, but that is what it does.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
Ohhhhhh boy, the Guitarmory Foxbat (ceramic) set sounds reeeeeally good. I definitely recommend this set for what you're looking for. They are super aggressive without being too high output which also gives them great clarity (plus the clarity from them being scatter wound in the first place).

lewis

Reaction score
I hate the low mid/boomy "womp womp" swelling on chugs on the Nazgul.

Just odd to me.