Pickup recommendations

• Thread starter Ricky Roro
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ricky Roro

Christian
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am looking for a little help in choosing pickups. I don't know much about most of them at the moment, but I will do the best I can to describe the sound I am looking for.
I am trying to find a pair of pickups that has a good, strong low end (to be used on a baritone). They should sound warm, deep and modern when clean, and also have a good distorted sound. I am looking to avoid any "twangy" sounds as much as possible, but without hurting the guitar's sharpness and clarity when the tone knob isn't touched. Since I will be using it with distortion a lot as well, I need the sound to transition well to a distorted hard rock tone. The depth and tone can't fall out when you distort it.
I'll be playing as rhythm guitarist, so I want a bold, rich sound.

I know, a lot of redundancy there. But as I said earlier, I'm not very experienced with choosing pickups so I need you guys to help. Thanks in advance!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dead Undead

New again
Reaction score
DiMarzio Tone Zone in the Bridge and Air Norton in the neck. This combo sounds good in nearly any guitar. Great cleans, even better distortion. They sound great when selected together in parallel. They're very dynamic - very sensitive to pick attack, volume control, tone control, and coil tap/parallel/phase switching. They're like DiMarzio's version of the everlasting Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz combo, but with DiMarzio's distinguishable distorted tone.

Another good DiMarzio combo is John Petrucci's setup - Crunch Lab/LiquiFire.

Ricky Roro

Christian
Reaction score
Another good DiMarzio combo is John Petrucci's setup - Crunch Lab/LiquiFire.

I looked each up to find sound samples, and I gotta say that I really like this one. Thanks for the help!
Though I'm not totally dedicated to it, since I haven't played it or anything. Feel free to put other combinations if you want, I'll check them out as well.

xMaNgOxKusHx

Reaction score
If you feel like looking into an active set, try the Seymour Duncun Blackouts AHB-1. From what you described that you wanted in tone I'm sure they won't let you down.

mountainjam

Reaction score
I just ordered the petrucci set yesterday. I've never heard them in person, but all his work sounds great and ide say its safe to say petrucci knows more about tone than most people, so its gotta be a safe bet

Dead Undead

New again
Reaction score
I looked each up to find sound samples, and I gotta say that I really like this one. Thanks for the help!
Though I'm not totally dedicated to it, since I haven't played it or anything. Feel free to put other combinations if you want, I'll check them out as well.

If you're willing to sell your soul, Bare Knuckle pickups are possibly the best you can get. Set of Warpigs or Nailbombs should do the trick, but one calibrated pair of those will leave your wallet in agony. Probably cost as much as the guitar you're putting them in. Rio Grande are also some fantastic boutique pickups, as well as Lindy Fralin.

But I would stick to DiMarzio or Seymour Duncan.
The D Sonic or Crunch Lab bridge pickup that Petrucci used/uses is very versatile. If you put the bar side towards the neck, it'll sound darker and bassier. He does this on his 7 strings. But put it towards the bridge like he does on his 6 string guitars and it'll have more mids and a much punchier tone. Either way it's great for rhythm playing.

Thep

Blast & Sweep
Reaction score
How many pickup threads does the world need? The answer is more. We need more. Much much more.

xMaNgOxKusHx

Reaction score
How many pickup threads does the world need? The answer is more. We need more. Much much more.

You can't have enough of em. Never. Even know more than half of them are basicly asking for the same tone :lol:

Ricky Roro

Christian
Reaction score
We should just put up a damn chart:
Pickup (x) = Tone (x)

Not a bad idea. Each could also include a sound sample, so people could hear it too. Plus you could list pickup combinations in a similar fashion.

Also, I checked out the blackouts. They sound good, but not quite as good as the other set in my opinion.

Dead Undead

New again
Reaction score
Not a bad idea. Each could also include a sound sample, so people could hear it too. Plus you could list pickup combinations in a similar fashion.

Also, I checked out the blackouts. They sound good, but not quite as good as the other set in my opinion.

Well they're actives. They're not what you're looking for unless you play something really high gain.
From what you said you're looking for it sounded like your seeking something articulate and versatile, and active pickups are not the way to go if that's the case.

Ricky Roro

Christian
Reaction score
Yeah, I think they have a lot less of a defined tone. Or rather that less of their tone comes from your string brand choice and more from what's in the circuitry.

Dead Undead

New again
Reaction score
Yeah, I think they have a lot less of a defined tone. Or rather that less of their tone comes from your string brand choice and more from what's in the circuitry.

Well, active pickups use a battery to power a built in unit that filters and EQ's the tone, so every note has the same tone. They sound nearly the same no matter what strings you use, what guitar you put them in, or whatever. To me, they always sound kinda lifeless. And they don't sound good when you palm mute heavily. They just sound like an old man with bronchitis.
But they're not all bad. They have their place in heavy metal and such.
Still, even for the heaviest of sounds, I would use passive pickups.

xMaNgOxKusHx

Reaction score
I was just suggesting. I don't know EXACTLY what you have in mind. To take the easier side, I will have to agree that Petrucci's pup set is considerably versatile.

Ricky Roro

Christian
Reaction score
I was just suggesting. I don't know EXACTLY what you have in mind. To take the easier side, I will have to agree that Petrucci's pup set is considerably versatile.

Thank you, nonetheless, for the suggestion. It's good to have comparison from different people's interpretations and opinions.

mountainjam

Reaction score
Well they're actives. They're not what you're looking for unless you play something really high gain.
From what you said you're looking for it sounded like your seeking something articulate and versatile, and active pickups are not the way to go if that's the case.

I dunno about that man, paul waggoneer from btbam used emg 81/85 on his first 5 albums, and his music is as versatile and articulate as possible. Also Jeff Loomis and Tosin Abbassi (sp)? and probably several more world class players

Dead Undead

New again
Reaction score
I dunno about that man, paul waggoneer from btbam used emg 81/85 on his first 5 albums, and his music is as versatile and articulate as possible. Also Jeff Loomis and Tosin Abbassi (sp)? and probably several more world class players

I was gonna list them. And they have awesome amps. EMG's don't sound that good through a VOX. They do have great tone, I won't argue with that. But personally, I've never gotten a tone I like from active pickups. If I had to choose between EMG's or Blackouts though I'd pick Blackouts any day.
Well, it's all opinion. I fap DiMarzio day and night, so most of my recommendations will be biased, but for good reason. There's a reason all the A-Listers use them.

mountainjam

Reaction score
I was gonna list them. And they have awesome amps. EMG's don't sound that good through a VOX. They do have great tone, I won't argue with that. But personally, I've never gotten a tone I like from active pickups. If I had to choose between EMG's or Blackouts though I'd pick Blackouts any day.
Well, it's all opinion. I fap DiMarzio day and night, so most of my recommendations will be biased, but for good reason. There's a reason all the A-Listers use them.
I totally agree man. Its all opinion based. Im looking forward to comparing my 707's to the petrucci set when it comes in the mail. Can't wait to hear the differences through my rectifier

Dead Undead

New again
Reaction score
I totally agree man. Its all opinion based. Im looking forward to comparing my 707's to the petrucci set when it comes in the mail. Can't wait to hear the differences through my rectifier

You're just reminding me that I need to save up for a new amp.

OP:
You should look into used pickups. Most of the time all you have to do is make the leads longer, and any competent luthier can do that easily.

Latest posts

')