Pickup ring for mounting BKP in Agile Intrepid Pro

jamesmafyew

Reaction score
I don't really like the EMG-808 installed in my Intrepid Pro, but I love everything else about the guitar. I've ordered a BKP Cold Sweat 8-string passive, but I'm not stoked about how the BKP is smaller than the 808, meaning it will look weird in the pickup cavity.

So inspired by Zimbloth's RG2228 custom pickguard project, I am trying to make a pickup ring to fit the BKP and cover the gap. Though I don't anticipate ever going back to the EMG-808, I have tried to make the installation reversible, by locating the ring mounting screws inside the dimensions of the EMG routing, so that I don't have to drill holes in the top of the guitar.

1. Will this work? Or will I have to move the four screw holes outward?

2. Since the BKP mounting tabs are 108mm wide (info from Tim/BKP) -- i.e., wider than the EMG routing -- can I file them down to 102mm to fit in the EMG cavity with no modification? Again, to make the swap totally reversible.

3. Now that I think about it, I would rather mount the pickup to the ring, Gibson-style, than body-mount it. Does anyone who has BKP 7- or 8-string
pickups know if the screw holes in the mounting tabs are threaded? If I can do this, I would change those 4mm radius cutouts to screw holes like a Les Paul pickup ring.

I will probably get this made from aluminum, possibly powder-coated matte black, or chromed. I think Sharp Concepts can do it for me -- does anyone have any experience dealing with them?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

8-string-BKP-ring3.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Looks like a great design. I think locating the mounting screws inside the corners of the 808 route is a great idea, and i'm surprised nobody's thought of doing this for 707 conversion rings as well. You might consider talking to Tim at Bareknuckle to see what solutions he might have for keeping the mounting tabs inside the 808 dimensions.

For manufacturing, also consider Dave at Frets on the Net. He does AMAZING work.

Frets On The Net

jamesmafyew

Reaction score
Thanks for these suggestions guys, these look like much better options.

I'm basically ready to pull the trigger, I just need to know if those mounting tabs are threaded or not...

caughtinamosh

SS.org-er
Reaction score
I just need to know if those mounting tabs are threaded or not...

On the BKs? Yes, they are threaded (if that's what you were referring to).

I think John Guilford (the guy behind the website I posted) would be very cool with producing your idea for a pickup ring - the wood looks real good as well :).

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Considering Tim likely builds these to order, i would imagine he could make them threaded or not threaded depending on how you plan on mounting them. Why not email him and ask?

jamesmafyew

Reaction score
Considering Tim likely builds these to order, i would imagine he could make them threaded or not threaded depending on how you plan on mounting them. Why not email him and ask?

I guess I will. I've already ordered the pickup through Zimbloth / AxePalace, but I suppose I can send along word that I'd like them threaded. It had only occurred to me while I was typing the post that you would need threaded tabs for ring-mounting and unthreaded tabs for body-mounting.

I've also been pestering Tim with questions for weeks now, I feel kinda bad...

This will be my third guitar with BKPs in it!:hbang:

lobee

vicioustabbing
Reaction score
2. Since the BKP mounting tabs are 108mm wide (info from Tim/BKP) -- i.e., wider than the EMG routing -- can I file them down to 102mm to fit in the EMG cavity with no modification? Again, to make the swap totally reversible.
I don't know if there's enough metal to file down 3mm from each side but you might be able to bend the tabs in a bit. I had to bend my tabs out slightly to fit in my Ibanez. Just do it slowly and be careful not to break the tabs.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Sounds great Matt. Like I said before I can send you the schematic I used to get them to fit in my RG2228. I don't recall there being any issues with the tabs at all by the way, but then again I did direct mount which I prefer anyways for tonal purposes.

Good luck and thanks again for your order dude, the Cold Sweat is an exceptional 8 string pickup :metal:

jamesmafyew

Reaction score
Sounds great Matt. Like I said before I can send you the schematic I used to get them to fit in my RG2228. I don't recall there being any issues with the tabs at all by the way, but then again I did direct mount which I prefer anyways for tonal purposes.

Good luck and thanks again for your order dude, the Cold Sweat is an exceptional 8 string pickup :metal:

No, thank YOU Nick -- I'm really stoked about this, and appreciate your help. Tim actually sent me the pickup baseplate dimensions this morning, so basically it's all done except that I need to double-check the screw hole diameters (holes in the diagram are just placeholders now).

This is the newest, ring-mount version:

(EDIT: the center-to-center for the BKP's screw holes is 98mm not 96. The diagram is correct, just mislabeled)

8-string-BKP-ringv2.jpg

BigPhi84

Pronounced "FEE"
Reaction score
On the BKs? Yes, they are threaded (if that's what you were referring to).

I think John Guilford (the guy behind the website I posted) would be very cool with producing your idea for a pickup ring - the wood looks real good as well :).

Quoted for truth. John is an amazing person. I bought a set of flamed maple rings from him around Thanksgiving/Christmas season. Well, I didn't end up receiving them until January and John apologized profusely that the shipment took so long. I didn't mind because I understand that everyone gets flustered during that time of year. Well, a week later I received another package from John. Can you imagine my surprise when I discovered a second set of pickup rings for FREE!!! Now, that's what I call customer service! :yesway:

Phi ^_^

hairychris

Hairy Old Bloke
Reaction score
I second John @ pickuprings.com. I've got rings and cavity covers for my PRS from him, and he does really nice work if wood is your choice of material. :yesway:

EDIT - I may also be interested in this so let us all know if you go ahead. I'll eventually be direct mounting a BKP to my Pro.

jamesmafyew

Reaction score
I may also be interested in this so let us all know if you go ahead. I'll eventually be direct mounting a BKP to my Pro.

As soon as I'm sure of the design and screw sizes, I'll post final PDFs of both versions (ring-mount and body-mount) so that people can download them and use them to have the rings fabricated wherever they want.:metal:

DrunkenMonkey

DrunkenMonkey
Reaction score
Great idea Bro. Drop Dave at Frets On the Net a line. He's the man when it comes to stuff like this.

noodleplugerine

Reaction score

You can tell the tonal difference between direct mounting and mounting to a pickup ring?

You should be in a circus!

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
That's a fairly clever idea. I'll have to keep something like this in mind if I ever pick up a Schecter.

')