Pickup ring for mounting BKP in Agile Intrepid Pro

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
honestly i couldnt tell you because i dont know the definitions of warm and bright and all that shit. i just know that i lost my pickup rings for a guitar one time and just screwed it straight to the body and i could tell a definite difference. i like it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jamesmafyew

Reaction score
So here's what I finally settled on:

8-string-pickupring5.jpg

I imagine it will look something like this:
http://www.fretsonthenet.com/PRlawrence500beaded.JPG

Either 1/16" or 1/8" thick, I haven't decided.

I'll update these into pdfs and put them back in the first post.

DrunkenMonkey

DrunkenMonkey
Reaction score
jamesmafyew

Awesome endeavor. We should get someone to fabricate them and place orders. There's bound to be several 8-stringers out there who would want a pair. I know I'd take two pairs.

jamesmafyew

Reaction score
jamesmafyew

Awesome endeavor. We should get someone to fabricate them and place orders. There's bound to be several 8-stringers out there who would want a pair. I know I'd take two pairs.

I already have John @ pickuprings.com making me one of these out of ebony. He gave me an ETA of 2 weeks from now. If Dave from Fretsonthenet.com gets back to me with a reasonable quote for an aluminum ring, then I'll get one of those too.

Once I have it/them in hand, and ensure that the design actually works, I'll post pictures and templates so that people can see the results and maybe do a group buy.

The design should work with other 8's too, not just the Intrepid --- theoretically, any guitar with an EMG-808 cavity could use it and not need any holes drilled.

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
I might end up getting a pair in case I end up getting that Schecter. Hrmm.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
This is cool, looking forward to see how these turnout. Would certainly be something cool to have readily available for people who want BKPs or other after market pickups in their production 8s :yesway:

caughtinamosh

SS.org-er
Reaction score
Excellent :yesway:. I knew John would be cool with your design. He's a brilliant guy to work with... In fact, tell him that James (the ebony 7 string ring guy) says "hi!" :)

eegor

Theoretical Reality
Reaction score
This looks pretty interesting. If the Q-Tuner doesn't work out in my Pro I'll definitely consider this.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
i just know that i lost my pickup rings for a guitar one time and just screwed it straight to the body and i could tell a definite difference. i like it.

Are you sure your pickups were at exactly the same height in both configurations? In my experience an adjustment of a millimeter or two, plus or minus, can make a TREMENDOUS difference.

haffner1

Reaction score
Wow - I just noticed this thread. I hardly ever look on the ERG forum I guess. I was considering on doing something similar for my Hornet Pro 7 but I needed funds for other things so it is kind of on the back burner. I would really like to see how it works out. I have a friend that does metalwork who is making me an aluminium pick guard replacement for it (for almost 2 months he has not gotten around to finishing it, but hey, free is free). He said he could probably make those too if I got him the measurements. Mine would have to have a cut out section for the neck ring though, because the EMG buts right up against the end of the fingerboard.

')