Pickup sugesstions? (7 string actives)

6Christ6Denied6

Reaction score
I was thinking about swapping the pickups in my schecter loomis for a little while and have narrowed it down to these

neck: EMG60x EMG707TW (will that require modifications due to the push pull feature)?

bridge: Seymour Duncan Blackout

i am mainly looking for neck puckups, im pretty sure blackout is the way to go for the bridge, i just think my 707 for the neck is to bright and dirty and its hard to get it clean sounding, the 60x is supposedly one of the lowest output 7 string pickups for the extended housing.

also id like to keep it active because i dont want gaps in my routing cavity, unless there is someone who makes covers that will cover up that gap if i decide to get passives...:scratch:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

6Christ6Denied6

Reaction score
wow 2 doll hairs, that sounds pretty good to me, also about passives, im not sure if they are able to handle my low F tuning well. i am so used to active i dont think i want to go passive.

Necky379

Reaction score
meshuggah use passives (lundgren) in their 8 strings and their low strings sound fine. just depends on which apssive you use. not saying you should or shouldnt, just pointing out the option. what town you from btw?

6Christ6Denied6

Reaction score
well lundgrens area passive yes but they are very bright sounding and would not work out in my guitar and amp, (both very bright) i want a darker but still responsive you know, i think ill shoot the BKP dealer a PM, and im from voluntown BTW, are you from CT also?

Necky379

Reaction score
sounds like a good plan bkp are supposed to be sick. what rig are you using these with? yeah newtown

6Christ6Denied6

Reaction score
im running through a peavey 6505+ head, and a maxon od9 (if it ever comes in the mail lol)

hopefully i can find a better head soon, im not too satisfied with the tones i get from it, i really want a engl savage.

Necky379

Reaction score
running a similar rig, 5150 boosted by an mxr gt-od. i think im going to be swapping out the 81-7's in my sc607 real soon. i cant stand the ice pick highs from the 81-7 + maple guitar combo anymore. im either doing the new emg 707x pups or an invader bridge '59 neck setup with those 2$ covers.

6Christ6Denied6

Reaction score
all it says on emg website that the X series has more headroom and its the bridge between passive and active tone, is there anything else about it that you know that the website doesnt say?

6Christ6Denied6

Reaction score
cool man, those helped me out a little, i think its between the 707twx or the 60x now.

Soopahmahn

Tu ne cede malis
Reaction score
cool man, those helped me out a little, i think its between the 707twx or the 60x now.

:bump:

I too am interested in the EMG 707TWX. I'd like to know if anybody owns them or if anybody knows any production guitars that come with them. I've played a Schecter with the 707TW but never an X-series. Did you buy one, 6C6D6?

I have a big hard-on for SD AHB-1 Blackouts, they're much more what I desire vs. the EMG 81 sound. Would be going in a basswood or mahogany guitar ultimately.

EDIT: Frank Falbo, make a coil-tappable Blackout and I won't care about this any longer! :yesway:

6string40

Reaction score
Can't really speak to the 7-string versions, but I used the EMG 60 in my guitars a few years back before I went to all passives. IMO, they were the best sounding EMG neck pickups. Very warm, certainly far from "ice pick."

Soopahmahn

Tu ne cede malis
Reaction score
Can't really speak to the 7-string versions, but I used the EMG 60 in my guitars a few years back before I went to all passives. IMO, they were the best sounding EMG neck pickups. Very warm, certainly far from "ice pick."

I'm sure the 60 is nice, but that's a far cry from a 707TWX :yesway:

Basically I'd view this as EMG's "best" 7-string pup, and the only one I'd be willing to slide into a guitar... on paper. Now to find one of the damn things and try it out :scratch:

')