Pickup Suggestion: Aftermath or Black Hawk

giwrgos02

Reaction score
Hey guys, I want to change the EMG's on my 7string ESP LTD H-1007

ESP LTD H-1007 STBK - Thomann Greece

I can't stand the muddiness and the lack of clarity any more. I don't know if that's caused by the mahogany body, the pickups or anything else, but I think it's time to try getting rid of the EMG's..

I play mostly progressive stuff like Periphery, Monuments, Architects and Northlane (ordered by preference) and I would really love a pickup that would give me the clarity and the heavy midrange response that I need.

I have already checked the:

Aftermaths, I have heard they have tons of mids, but I'm a bit worried of the description of theirs: "Accelerated bass response for exceptionally fast tracking of high-speed staccato riffing". (I'm not sure if I need the bass response or the fast riffing. I doubt that I will ever play that fast. Plus, I'm worried about their clarity too. I want a really bright pickup)

Black Hawks, I have heard really good things about them. They are known for their clarity, but I was told by the costumer service that "I would need more power and mids" for what I want to play and for my guitar, than this pickup has to offer. And that's why he suggested me the Aftermaths.

Any suggestions, tips on chosing pickups based on wood parts and personal experience is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Underworld

Reaction score
I prefered the Blackhawks to the Aftermath by a LONG way.

Yes, the aftermath has much more mids, but I think its an overly bassy, scratchy, sterile and over-compressed pickup. Also, the mid bump is place in a way where it's impossible not to get that fucking djent tone. I hated it with a passion.

The BH, on the other hand, is more balanced and versatile. High output but extremely clear pickup. Mean and aggressive (in the right way), but not sterile. Probably my favorite offer from BKP. For a maple neck thru guitar you should go with the Alnico V version.

If you are open to other alternatives, a DiMarzio D-Activator bridge/Liquifire neck combo would do a nice job too.

giwrgos02

Reaction score
@Underworld Wouldn't I still lack mids with the Black Hawks? Why would I pick the Alnico V? I have heard really good things about the Ceramic. It offers a lot more clarity and most of the guitarists I have seen have ceramic.

Underworld

Reaction score
@Underworld Wouldn't I still lack mids with the Black Hawks? Why would I pick the Alnico V? I have heard really good things about the Ceramic. It offers a lot more clarity and most of the guitarists I have seen have ceramic.

The Blackhawk is not mid scooped, it's just really balanced. Alnico V will give you a little bit more mids, and will be a bit warmer. You guitar has a maple neck thru which should be plenty bright. Ceramic is more aggressive and brighter, but the alnico version is aggressive enough. I don't think one is more clear than the other.

katsumura78

Reaction score
Just got the Black Hawks in my RGA and I couldn't be happier with how that guitar sounds now. Why don't you give them or the Juggernauts a shot. The JPXI I had was one of the best sounding guitars I've played after I threw in the Juggs. Can't speak for the Aftermath but I've heard some guys say the Dimarzio Titans are in the same ballpark, which btw I'm a fan of those pickups too.

Captain Butterscotch

Reaction score
I couldn't get rid of my Aftermath set fast enough. Gross pickups, but perfect for the lifeless, sterile, scratchy tone of Monuments and Co. They are the "djent" pickup, so if that's what you're going for then get them.

I loved my Black Hawks, but after a few months with them I realized that I could have just bought a Crunch Lab/Liquifire set, D-Activator/Liquifire set, or even a Dominion/Liquifire set and gotten comparable results and saved a bunch of $.

But, to answer the original question, Aftermaths are really really for single note stuff. That's where they shine. Chords are good, clarity is good, but when you start getting into the djenty bwaow bwaow riffs, then they're excellent.

Black Hawks are more full. I got the Alnico versions and they're just super rich pickups. Great for both chording and riffing. These are my personal preference out of the two. :wavey:

giwrgos02

Reaction score
I prefered the Blackhawks to the Aftermath by a LONG way.

Yes, the aftermath has much more mids, but I think its an overly bassy, scratchy, sterile and over-compressed pickup. Also, the mid bump is place in a way where it's impossible not to get that fucking djent tone. I hated it with a passion.

The BH, on the other hand, is more balanced and versatile. High output but extremely clear pickup. Mean and aggressive (in the right way), but not sterile. Probably my favorite offer from BKP. For a maple neck thru guitar you should go with the Alnico V version.

If you are open to other alternatives, a DiMarzio D-Activator bridge/Liquifire neck combo would do a nice job too.

what music do you play and you didn't like that mid bump?

giwrgos02

Reaction score
I couldn't get rid of my Aftermath set fast enough. Gross pickups, but perfect for the lifeless, sterile, scratchy tone of Monuments and Co. They are the "djent" pickup, so if that's what you're going for then get them.

I loved my Black Hawks, but after a few months with them I realized that I could have just bought a Crunch Lab/Liquifire set, D-Activator/Liquifire set, or even a Dominion/Liquifire set and gotten comparable results and saved a bunch of $.

But, to answer the original question, Aftermaths are really really for single note stuff. That's where they shine. Chords are good, clarity is good, but when you start getting into the djenty bwaow bwaow riffs, then they're excellent.

Black Hawks are more full. I got the Alnico versions and they're just super rich pickups. Great for both chording and riffing. These are my personal preference out of the two. :wavey:

what music do you play and you prefer black hawks? did you place both pickups (aftermaths/black hawks) in the same guitar? what was the body wood?

Underworld

Reaction score
what music do you play and you didn't like that mid bump?

I play anything from standard radio rock to all-out brutal death metal, but mostly Progressive Death Metal (think Opeth, not the new .... that kids play these days :fawk:)

The mids are located in a wierd place. They are scratchy and don't sound right. Like a huge 2khz bump.

Captain Butterscotch

Reaction score
what music do you play and you prefer black hawks? did you place both pickups (aftermaths/black hawks) in the same guitar? what was the body wood?

The tone I was going for was full, thick, chunky. Going through my axe fx (Tubescreamer>6505>mesa cab). I play a lot of chords using all 6 strings with some single note riffing mixed in ala Devin Townsend. Yes, the same guitar. It was a Hellraiser Hybrid C1.

')