Pickup Suggestions for All Mahogany Neck thru 6 String

• Thread starter ElasticPancakes
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

pittbul

Reaction score
hard to say who will be the winner,but BKP is really fat for neckthrough guitars, imho....I try on my TAT all their metal stuff (after,pain,nail,war,rebel),and guitar sound awful....Sad,but with EMG 81 sound became much better,like wall of metal.....so,if you are not into active,try something thin,not fat sounded pickups.

ElasticPancakes

Reaction score
I have a growing concern, but keep in mind I'm no expert so feel free to tear me a new one if I'm completely wrong.

BUT I feel that the slsmg is quite a dark, bassy, middy kinda of guitar. I recently A/Bed it against a friends Jackson, which was alder with a maple neck, both with distortions in them. Now what I found was that his was VERY tight and pronounced in the highs, as opposed to mine which sounded very "compressed" if that is even the correct term. Just a bit more muddy.

Now after seeing the eq of the dominion, do you think that would play to the guitars strengths? As it has a huge bass and midrange rating? I do like a bit of bite in my rhythms. OR maybe it's just my ears.

Any thoughts?

jc986

Tone Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Dominion is a very clear and defined pickup. I don't put much stock in the company's EQ charts as they definitely are not perfect. The Dominion has very strong high mids, which lends it to being very clear without being brittle.

I have the Distortion in another guitar and it is also well suited to mahogany, but isn't as clear or defined as the Dominion.

I wouldn't consider the Dominion to be a very bassy pickup at all. In my opinion, the EQ would be more like bass 5, mids 5, high mids 8, treble 6.5

Latest posts

')