Pickup Suggestions for All Mahogany Neck thru 6 String

• Thread starter ElasticPancakes
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ElasticPancakes

Reaction score
Hi All

So I bought another Jackson SLSMG because it was a ridiculous deal! $300 converted from my currency.

Anyway, my original SLSMG has Duncan distortions in it, which I absolutely love! I keep my 6 strings in drop C and the distortions rip for tech death and faceless-esque tones.

Now for this new guitar I'd like something a bit different. I do want something with nice tight defined gain tones, but I plan on using it for more progressive/djenty stuff. I feel the distortion is kind of like a one trick pony, so I'd like something a bit more versatile. I'd also like a neck Pickup that handles cleans a bit better, as I find the distortion Neck to be a bit harsh in that regard.

Suggestions I've received are:
Duncan Black Winter Set
Duncan SH-5 and 59 Neck

I don't mind suggestions of any pickup brand, Dimarzio, Bareknuckles whatever. Just something heavy, yet versatile. If that makes sense?:nuts:

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

5150time

Now with Vitamin R
Reaction score
I installed a set of Black Winters last night, and they're definitely a great sound - but at the same time, they seem to me to be kind of like Distortions 2.0. So if you want something different, they may not be far enough away.

The SLS's I've had all sounded pretty thin naturally to me, so you might want to avoid super bright pickups. To that end, if you were looking at a 59 neck, you might want to consider the DiMarzio Dominion, too - it's the idea of the 59 but a little more modern and a little less spongy. For bridge, you might dig the Steve's Special - I always liked it for gain with definition, and it was certainly used for progressive stuff. I never tried it in C, though.

Good luck with your decision!

Vzmike

Reaction score
I actually have a BKP Juggernaut bridge and it's really nice sounding. Crisp, versatile yet not over-bearing in terms of output, but GREAT for the br00tz. To put it one way, I noticed a night and day change in tone in my absolutely horrible Marshall MG15 practice amp, and I mean that in the best way possible. I'd like to add the guitar I put them in was very bright and thin sounding, and the Jugg fattened up my rhythm playing and chords.

I will also be installing some Painkillers in my Schecter soon, but as of now I can say the Jugg seems to be living up to the hype, and I would definitely recommend it.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
It's hard to get more versatile than a Duncan Custom. That gets my vote, but, I'm not all that familiar with BKPs.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
I'd go with a Custom/Full shred neck if you want to keep it SD, but I've also heard tons of good reviews of the Dimarzio Dominion set in that guitar :2c:

Carlm83

Reaction score
Going to be ordering some Juggs for my ESP Horizon next week. Can't wait to hear them!

ElasticPancakes

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Yeah the juggernauts seem awesome, but good lord are they pricey. Just over $400 converted to my currency for an uncovered set. Not that they aren't worth it, but it just seems like a bit much for pickups.

I'm very much considering the custom sh-5/ 59 or full shred and the dimarzio dominions.

I wonder about the titans? Think they will work in this guitar? Just can't seem to find em anywhere.

Fretless

Knob Fiddler
Reaction score
Black winters all the way. Affordability and great tone!

MikeSap

formerly mikeyENGL
Reaction score
Dimarzio dominion set. Had a pair in my slsmg and they were awesome. Very punchy with great bass response and very full. Well balanced in the all mahogany guitar.

karjim

Set the World Afire
Reaction score
Dominions are like Breed 2.0 with a more focus low end....So DM Breed are a cool option too and they're very affordable.
The SD JB is always a good start, it rocks and rolls! But for Faceless style I would look into D Acts for the clarity with high gain.
BKP are great but overpriced for what they really are.
Btw EMG active pups is the Faceless sound

ElasticPancakes

Reaction score
Thanks man. Yeah I'm not looking for pups to emulate the faceless tones in this guitar. I have my other guitar that does a good job of getting me that tech death sound. :)

It should also be said that I can't stand active pups. Hated every EMG I've played, so I'm not interested in blackouts/ het set etc. Might not be fair of me to boycott all actives, but the ones I've played, I haven't enjoyed.

Sweet, I'll look into the breed. I haven't used many dimarzios so it's kind of unknown territory to me. But I'm open to them.

chassless

Don'tDeserveMyGuitar
Reaction score
i don't know much about the neck model, but don't overlook the Full Shred bridge ! it's tight and bright and delivers the bruutz just as good as it does the funk. (which means i recommend having the option to split it)
'59 in the neck is great, amazing cleans (also and especially in split) but will almost always sound vintagey, in my (somewhat limited) experience. for more strictly prog/modern stuff, it might do the track, but you might be better off with something else

GSingleton

Sleep on, Fly on
Vendor
Reaction score
BKPS OR BUST FGGT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SSO DEMANDS! MISHA USES THEM!!!!

Kidding, Dimarzio dominions or titans would be amazing in that guitar.

jc986

Tone Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definitely recommend the Dominion's. I have an SLS3 (same construction, body shape, and woods as your SLSMG) and the Dominion set is perfect for what you are looking for. I have mine setup with a 5 way switch with coil taps in positions 2 and 4. The Dominion's give a fantastic split sound. Both positions have a great clean tone as well. I have some demos of the Dominion clean and dirty at the link in my sig. I also have the same riff played through the same rig with a guitar that has a SD Distortion in the bridge for comparison.

oracles

Reaction score
Another vote for the Dominions from me. I recently replaced the Coldsweat set I had in mine in favour of Dominions, as well as having another two sets in different guitars.

ElasticPancakes

Reaction score
Awesome guys!

Yeah looks like I'm going to give the dominions a go :) Way too much love
going on in here for them for me to not give them a shot.

Thanks a bunch guys. I'll do a quick report back once I've had a chance to give them a go. Now the trouble is finding a dealer in South Africa to get em to me.

')