Pickup Suggestions for Douglas SR-370 (w/o ALL CAPZ)

xMaNgOxKusHx

Reaction score
Arite, just got my new Douglas SR-370 in the mail 2 days ago. Gave it a setup and determined it needs new pups immediately! :hbang: The guitar's got a mahogany body with an ash top. I usually play technical death type stuff. Band examples: Necrophagist, The Faceless, 100 knives inside, Salvation, Brain Drill etc. and etc. I use a Peavey 5150 head on a mesa/boogie oversized 412 loaded w/ celestion k-75s. Don't try to recommend me 707s (yeah i know necrophagist uses them) or Blackouts. Idk if lundgren m7s are the way to go either, last i heard they sounded shitty. X2N7s= meh.

Last edited by a moderator:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

xtrustisyoursx

Reaction score
I have one, so I'll chime in. You need something BRIGHT! The mahogany this guitar uses is cheap, which makes it super dense and dull. The ash isn't really a top as much as it is a veneer, so that doesn't brighten it at all. Since you're looking for a bright pickup and you play tech stuff, I'd highly recommend an Evo7 or if you want active (sounds like you don't) try an 81-7.

xMaNgOxKusHx

Reaction score
Thats a good option, im deeply considering. Any other suggestions guys?

CooleyJr

Banned
Reaction score
I liked the x2n7 I had in my last one. The neck pickup doesnt HAVE to be changed but the bridge one definitely does. Even though both of mine are stock right now I'm actually liking the tone right now :lol:

xMaNgOxKusHx

Reaction score
im kinda feelin the d-activators, but i still want a few more options to choose from

gr8Har V

dimini....
Reaction score
i have that exact guitar and i have a DiMarzio Crunch lab in the bridge and its fucking excellent :agreed: it creates a crisp clear sound and also makes me jizz in my pants every time a sustain a note anywhere on my fretboard during a solo. its just incredible and very hardcore. o yea and its only 90 bucks

JonnyDeath

Reaction score
I think you're nuts to swap out these stocks, they're phenomenal and a lot of work went into designing them. My overdrive/distortion which I engineered and built has so much gain my amps distortion is literally on 1 and the pedal does all the work yet is so high gain I only need it at 25% output.
Crank it beyond that and the result is feedback and pickup hum that otherwise wouldn't be there whether they're Duncans, EMG's or boutiques.

Meanwhile with these pickups, I can crank my pedal to 100% and while I get feedback, still no noise! Aside from this fact, I think the tonal quality is well balanced and clean. I play thrash, death thrash, rock, jazz etc.

')