Pickup Suggestions for EBMM JPXI-7

• Thread starter zhunt1130
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zhunt1130

Slightly Progessive
Reaction score
Thinking about yanking the CL/LF combo out of my JP, I like them I really do but I've never been blown away by them and I've always felt that the higher register notes come out a little too loud in comparison to lower ones, especially when hitting big 5-6 note chords. I just feel like I need something a little better suited for my style of play.

The last pickups that really wowed me were the 1st series blackouts that I dropped into the RGD prestige I used to have. To me there was a huge improvement in tone but that's also compared to the stock V77/V88's, not too much competition there.

I'm open to suggestions, just please don't bring up BKP's, I can't stand them. I know some would nail me to a cross for this but of the ones I've tried they're just too hot for a passive pup IMO.

Here's a link to one of my band's songs so you can get an idea of the style I'm going for here. I don't want to djent but I don't want too shredy either, if that makes any sense haha. This was recorded with that RGD w/ blackouts that I mentioned earlier.

Currently running a HD Pro through a 6505+ via the 4CM. Thanks in advance!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lifestalker

Reaction score
May want to give the Seymour Duncan Pegasus & Sentient a try. Seems to be very promising. I'll be purchasing some here in the next day or so.

ibanez4lifesz

@TheGuitarRack
Reaction score
Something to consider....the JP-7 models aren't quite so straight forward to swap pickups in:

1. The routes are done for dimarzio 7 baseplates, which are significantly more rounded that the more 'squarish' baseplates on Duncans, BKP, etc.

2. The liquifire is a VERY shallow neck pickup, and the guitar is routed to fit that shallow pickup (not as deep as the bridge). There are only a few other dimarzios made that shallow. If you like to play with low action, something like a d'activator neck (which is deeper) will stick out significantly more, and possibly too much for the strings to clear.

It's possible...but may require modification depending on what you want.

^The Sentient, for example, WILL NOT fit in the neck without modification (too tall for the route). The Pegasus has a better chance, but not sure on that one. That is assuming the baseplates fit altogether.

Eric

Lifestalker

Reaction score
Something to consider....the JP-7 models aren't quite so straight forward to swap pickups in:

1. The routes are done for dimarzio 7 baseplates, which are significantly more rounded that the more 'squarish' baseplates on Duncans, BKP, etc.

2. The liquifire is a VERY shallow neck pickup, and the guitar is routed to fit that shallow pickup (not as deep as the bridge). There are only a few other dimarzios made that shallow. If you like to play with low action, something like a d'activator neck (which is deeper) will stick out significantly more, and possibly too much for the strings to clear.

^The Sentient, for example, WILL NOT fit in the neck without modification (too tall for the route). The Pegasus has a better chance, but not sure on that one. That is assuming the baseplates fit altogether.

Eric

I didn't even realize it was a JP-7. I must be blind. Actually read it too quick...lol.

With that said, I would highly recommend the Liquifire/Crunchlab combo.

ibanez4lifesz

@TheGuitarRack
Reaction score
I didn't even realize it was a JP-7. I must be blind. Actually read it too quick...lol.

It's a JPXI-7...it comes stock with the CL/LF, which the OP wants to switch out :wavey:

To the OP...if you're ok with the LF, maybe try a D'activator in the bridge? That would be the easiest way to try something different.

jc986

Tone Enthusiast
Reaction score

Umm.... he's contemplating replacing the Liquifire/Crunchlab.

ibanez4lifesz

@TheGuitarRack
Reaction score
Not familiar with JP's. Suppose I'll go hang myself now.

Don't do that...we're all here to learn and have fun :yesway:

Though the CL/LF suggestion seems to work for 99% of this forum, so I see why you'd suggest it. I'm one of the few with the OP it seems- I can't jive with the set either.

zhunt1130

Slightly Progessive
Reaction score

Eric

Wow I hadn't heard any of this before. That's quite disappointing actually. However this might not be too terrible as I really don't mind the Liquifire, my biggest complaint with it has been that it just feels like it has too much less output than the CL. I find it funny though that it's so shallow compared to others though b/c at a glance I always thought it sat a little low, and I play with pretty low action.

zhunt1130

Slightly Progessive
Reaction score
phew....judging by that chart and comparing that to not only the big difference between some dimarzio's but duncans are even deeper, like .2 in deeper on some.

There was a time where I had put springs on the pups to raise them just a little, that created a feedback nightmare so I can't imagine going with anything other than dimensions that match exactly will be too promising.

')