Pickup suggestions for ESP SRC-6

• Thread starter Apex1rg7x
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Apex1rg7x

Agent of Chaos
Reaction score
So I finally acquired a grail of mine, the ESP SRC-6 Stef Carpenter model in black. But when I got it, it needed some TLC so I've been cleaning it up and swapped the hardware to black. The little time I did play it, the pickups (JB) just sounded rather thin and I knew I was gonna replace them. This particular guitar will be in drop C and lower for the most part. It's a fairly light guitar, alder body, maple neck thru, ebony board and lacked punch with that JB in the bridge.

Looking at BKP sets for the most part and I'm down to a few different sets as of now, just thought I'd ask for opinions to help my decision process.
-Blackhawk's (ceramic or alnico?)
-Ragnarok
-Aftermath

I will say I've considered the Lundgren M6 set as well. But I am focusing on BKP at this time, thanks.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Apex1rg7x

Agent of Chaos
Reaction score
Alnico Warpigs would solve the "too thin" issue (and then some). 😅
I was hesitant with Warpigs because I had a ceramic 7 string set and felt like they were almost too thick in any tuning lower than B. Maybe the Alnico in this 6 string would be a different story.

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
I was hesitant with Warpigs because I had a ceramic 7 string set and felt like they were almost too thick in any tuning lower than B. Maybe the Alnico in this 6 string would be a different story.
There is definitely a risk of Warpigs being too thick (esp. alnico). I haven't tried them and was actually joking btw - hence "and then some" + the emoji.

So many people get Tone Zones to compensate for the brightness of an RGs, but I'd much rather have a D Activator / Black Winter / Evolution...so Warpigs are probably not for me. The BKP that particularly interests me to try is the Painkiller bridge.

Necky379

Reaction score
Congratulations @Apex1rg7x did I miss a NGD post? I’d love to see shots of that thing. I’m still playing the SRC-7 I bought off you just about everyday, man did I go on journey finding “forever” pickups for that thing. JB twice, Invader twice, modded Invader, Suhr Hot 7, Schecter Apocalypse and then finally a mystery KxK set that resistance and tone chart wise appears similar to a Painkiller. I have no idea what magnet or magnets Rob used and I’ve never owned a Painkiller though. Those KxK’s were it for me, perfect match.

Apex1rg7x

Agent of Chaos
Reaction score
Congratulations @Apex1rg7x did I miss a NGD post? I’d love to see shots of that thing. I’m still playing the SRC-7 I bought off you just about everyday, man did I go on journey finding “forever” pickups for that thing. JB twice, Invader twice, modded Invader, Suhr Hot 7, Schecter Apocalypse and then finally a mystery KxK set that resistance and tone chart wise appears similar to a Painkiller. I have no idea what magnet or magnets Rob used and I’ve never owned a Painkiller though. Those KxK’s were it for me, perfect match.
That’s one that I still regret selling but I’m glad it went to a good home and you enjoy the shit out of it. I never did a NGD because when I got it, it was not in great shape. I’ve had to do some fret work, swapped the chrome hardware for black and need to get the pickups sorted before it gets a good setup.

Painkiller is an intriguing pickup as well. I should just go with EMG’s or Fishmans and be done with it haha.

DECEMBER

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I hate the JB. I tried a few sets of passives before I went to EMGs. Now my guitars sound right. Got the 81X/60X in 2 guitars now; a 6 string in drop-D and a 6 string baritone in drop-A. They sound great. 60X is the first neck pickup I've had that's actually usable on its own. The X-series have active tone pots, which give a much more usable range of tone.

BTS

BTS
Reaction score
I think the BKP Silo could work, it's not thin and is versatile and at C it's still tight enough.

Out of the options you listed I like the ragnaroks, they are thick in the midrange, nail a modern metal tone and are fairly compressed and as a result are fairly forgiving. I find aftermaths too dry, stiff and sterile personally...though they are surgicaly tight though . I don't have enough experience to comment on the blackhawks

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
The blackhawks have a nice chunky low end with a muscular/growly midrange. They're a great option for tuning below B ime.

The Lundgren M series are in a similar vein but with colder sounding cleans and a more piercing high end comparatively ime.

I would personally avoid the aftermaths. They're verrry middy comparatively, and the aftermath is not a good pickup for thickening up a guitar.

BillK

Reaction score
I have EMGs (81,85,60,Retroactives) on all my guitars, except for my SG which has Tom Anderson H3+ and H1- in bridge/neck respectively.
Three words: THICK A.F.
If you can, give them a try!
You can also try an 85 in the bridge and chug all day. You can never go wrong with EMGs. :banana:

Apex1rg7x

Agent of Chaos
Reaction score
I have EMGs (81,85,60,Retroactives) on all my guitars, except for my SG which has Tom Anderson H3+ and H1- in bridge/neck respectively.
Three words: THICK A.F.
If you can, give them a try!
You can also try an 85 in the bridge and chug all day. You can never go wrong with EMGs. :banana:
So how does the 85 compare to the 81 in the bridge position? I've seen it mentioned quite a few times but never tried it.

Ross82

Reaction score
So how does the 85 compare to the 81 in the bridge position? I've seen it mentioned quite a few times but never tried it.
I prefer the 81 in the bridge position to be honest. The 85 works but I found it to be a bit too, I dunno, spongey maybe? I prefer a 24v mod over swapping 81 for an 85.

BillK

Reaction score
Back to back with the 81, it sounds less harsh, a little more smooth, with a little more bass. I prefer it on my SG special (mahogany body and neck, rosewood fretboard), instead of the 81 BUT I prefer the 81 on my Jackson Dinky (alder body, maple neck, rosewood fretboard).

Ross82 mentioned the 24v mod which I have also tried on both these setups but I didn't really like it. Especially the 85 lost it's tightness.

But eventually, everything comes down to the guitar, equipment and of course our ears.

I personally like to try swap 81-85 the ''opposite'' way, 18-24 volt mods etc.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
85 is essentially an alnico 81. So it'll be naturally warmer and not as tight. Both sound really good in Drop C. If you go lower then the 81 is the better choice. If you prefer a more "passive" type feel the 57/66 is another EMG set as well. I had the 81/85 in my old Schecter, mahogany body set maple neck. I mainly kept the guitar in Drop C# and preferred the 85 in the bridge.

As fpr BKP, the Warpig in a 6 string sounds fine in Drop C. Rabea Massaad before his Silo set used Warpigs almost exclusively in his guitars in Drop C and Drop A# on his baritone. Ro Han from I Built the Sky uses a ceramic warpig in his drop C guitars as well. Just thought I'd point those 2 artists out. Of the sets you mentioned I like the Rags probably the most with the Blackhawk a close second based on sound samples I've heard.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
I used to play in drop C when I played 6 strings. I loved the EMG 81/85 combo, and at the time replaced a JB59 set with them. They're not thicker than the JB59, though definitely tighter.

BillK

Reaction score
I used to play in drop C when I played 6 strings. I loved the EMG 81/85 combo, and at the time replaced a JB59 set with them. They're not thicker than the JB59, though definitely tighter.
The 85 in the bridge was way thicker than the JB when I tried in my SG and equally tight. SG, half step down, 11-48 strings

')