Pickup suggestions for RGD7421

Ron7strings

Reaction score
I have recently bought an Ibby RGD7421 (basswood) and i have fallen is love with it apart from the stock pickups.. dnt know why Ibanez puts these garbage pickups in such a guitar which would otherwise have been awesome 7 string. :mad:

However i am planning to change these pickups and need some suggestion on this. I play deathcore in my band and the guitar is tuned in drop A. So i am looking for a heavy punchy tone for this which the stock pickups obviously fails to deliver.

I know BKPs would have been the best option but those are way too expensive for me to afford now... Also would it be a good option to go for active pickups like EMG 707 or 81-7 for this guitar? If not please suggest some good passive pickups that would help me achieve the sound i am looking for.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

charlessalvacion

Reaction score
I have the same guitar and have BK Aftermath on the bridge, Air Norton on the neck. Great combo imo. You could try a D-Sonic / Air Norton set. If you like solos on the neck, try also the Liquifire but I dont have exp with them but would love to try one together with the Aftermath. Btw, the scale length of the RGD is great! Tight low B. \m/

charlessalvacion

Reaction score
One more thing, you can check out those new Seymour Duncans. The Nazgul, Pegasus, & Sentient. Heard pretty good things about them. For Dimarzios maybe you can check out the Tone Zone, X2N or DActivators. Had them before & they are quite loud & nice for metal.