Pickup Suggestions

Which pickup is better for a basswood guitar?

• Dimarzio D-Activator set

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Dimarzio Crunchlab/Liquifire set

Votes: 7 77.8%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just need to get some opinions on pickups. I just got paid today and am ordering a new set of pickups for my Schecter Damien 7. It has a basswood body, bolt-on maple neck, and rosewood fingerboard. The stock pickups are EMG HZ's, which sound like utter shit. I am looking at a set of passive Dimarzio's, even though I know I will probably need additional routing work done. I am going for a high gain deathcore/metal tone similar to Whitechapel, Chelsea Grin, and Carnifex. I also would like to be able to achieve a djent tone similar to Periphery, Volumes, Born of Osiris, etc. with the same set of pickups. I was looking at the D-Activator set or the Crunchlab/Liquifire set. I don't know which one would compliment the woods of the guitar better. I see most people suggesting the Evolution or Blaze, but I'm not sure those are what I'm looking for in a pickup. Also, I am not looking to buy any sort of active pickup.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

thebunfather

Custom Monkey
Reaction score
I have a CL/LF in a basswood guitar and they sound great. Really nice djenty, midrange and high end response.

That being said, I have a set of D-Activator 7's in an Alder guitar and they sound equally as good. Maybe a little more upper-midrange bite than the CL/LF. Very similar to EMG's, but with more dynamics and headroom.

Also have Blaze 7 in a Mahogony guitar. Much warmer sounding than the D-Activators and CL/LF. Very clean sounding and articulate.

I can't tell you which to get, but any info is good.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
I'd go with the CL/LF set, I had a D-activator in a basswood RG and it sounded a little bright for my taste but I don't have any experience with the DA neck. The CL/LF should be able to get you sounds similar to the bands you listed since most of them use the same set

')