Pickup swap for Parker Nitefly?

• Thread starter Default_M
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Default_M

Reaction score
I have a Parker Nitefly which I love with its current EMGs, but it doesn't clean up very well. I've been thinking of swapping out the pickups but can't decide what to go with.

Options are to keep the EMGs, tune it down and use the guitar primarily for metal, or swap for some more versatile pickups and use in my pop/rock covers band.

Pickups I have available are Dimarzio Air Norton, paf pro and tone zone, or a set of Bare Knuckle Cold Sweats.

Specs are a mahogany body and neck, but the neck has a carbon fibre skin, piezo, trem and SS frets.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TremontiFan16

Tyler Russell
Reaction score
If you have the pickups readily available,and are handy with a soldering iron,why haven't you swapped in the other pickups just to try.Only way to tell if you like them is for you to try them.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Tone Zone/Air Norton is a pretty standard pickup combo and should do really well for pop/cover stuff. The Cold Sweat set is also supposed to be fairly versatile, but I've never tried it :2c:

Default_M

Reaction score
I have a soldering iron but ive never tried it and the wiring on the Parker is quite complicated. The EMGs and piezo run from the same battery.

JohnnyP

Reaction score
Do you know which version of the Nitefly you have? Does it use the fishman preamp or the Ghost preamp for the piezo's? Someone modded it to begin with to put EMG's it is. It sounds like you have a Hum/Hum version, Correct?

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
If the wiring situation ends up being too much of a nightmare with the piezo system, maybe sell the current EMG's and some of the other pickups for a set of 57/66's. That way, you can keep all the same wiring with the quick-connect system, but the pickups will be a lot more versatile and responsive.

Default_M

Reaction score
It's the Nitefly with 2 humbuckers and Fishman Piezo. I don't know very much about EMGs, or even what's in there. I think it's the Zakk Wylde set but reversed, so the one thats usually in the bridge has been put in the neck.
I was expecting to hate them, but they're really good. Just not for clean and that's what I play most of the time.

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
57/66 set. Just unplug the old EMGs and plug the new ones in. Couldn't be simpler and you will love em.

JohnnyP

Reaction score
The Fishman power chip is self contained so that will make it fairly easy to change out what you need. You'll have to replace both hum buckers/Mag. Vol pot/ Tone pot/5 way selector to go passive which will give you the best cleans.

You'd put together your "magnetic" system together the say way as any other with the only difference of the output wire at the end of the circuit goes to the "3 way mag/blend/piezo" switch. One nifty thing about the Fishman piezo is that you don't "need" a battery for them to work the power only goes to the preamp pot with makes them much louder.

')