Pickupgrade on Douglas SR370 and friends.

• Thread starter mrlespaulman
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mrlespaulman

Reaction score
Ok guys, its time for me to admit something: I'm a pickup n00b. After seven years of playing I finally decided to upgrade mine. So here's the question:

Douglas SR370.
the current pickup is muddy as crap. I'm looking for a tight, clear sound on my low Bb (occasionally going down to Ab). I'm currently playing 70-52-38-28-18-14-10, and its a mahogany body. I'll provide anymore info if needed!

Ibanez SR520ex.
Current pickups are weak. I need something to really beef up the sound. It's a basswood body I believe.

Washburn Tour 24
Alder body. Just want a general upgrade in tone. The current pickups are good, but I want better.

Any suggestions from my relatively vague descriptions?

I play progressive metal/rock type stuff--I really enjoy Petrucci's tone, and I love how Misha Mansoor's lower strings are so crisp and clear.

And I can't really afford to buy an Agile seven:mad:. So thats not an option, unless someone is selling one dirt cheap.

These are all running through a Vox Valvetronix 120w Head/4x10 Cab.

--Andy

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

xiphoscesar

Reaction score
i say for your sr370 go with some SD blackouts, im thinking of putting them into mine too

CooleyJr

Banned
Reaction score
I had an X2N7 on my last SR-370. I have the stock mud specials on my new one :lol: The blackouts seem to be the best bet if you want actives. If you're looking for some passives.. Bareknuckle all the way.

abstract

Reaction score
Pro BKP response: Aftermath or Cold Sweat for the Douglas...but your Bb is...suh-suh-suh-seventyyyy? Miracle Man or Aftermath for the Ibanez and pretty much whatever you want for the Washburn.

BKP free response: Evos for the Douglas, CL/LF for the Ibanez, again anything you like for the Washburn.

You'll get better recommendations if you post what sort of music you'll be playing on each guitar, what pedals you use and what general sound you tend to go for.

beneharris

Reaction score
seymour duncan JB, and '59's sound great in mahogany. i've had really good results with a Crunchlab and Liquifire in the same. i find the low B string to be much much tighter on the CL as opposed to the JB, but the JB seems to be much "wetter" is the best word that i can think of for it

xiphoscesar

Reaction score
I would prefer some passive pickups--I don't feel like routing.
well if routing is the case,they sell SD blackouts in passive pickup form, if not n u want passives, go with some BKP's

if you like the petrucci sound go for his crunch combo

mrlespaulman

Reaction score
The Crunchlab/liquifire deal sounds enticing. Yall think these will make a difference between the stock Douglas mudpies?

Please say yes.

beneharris

Reaction score
The Crunchlab/liquifire deal sounds enticing. Yall think these will make a difference between the stock Douglas mudpies?

Please say yes.
yes, night and day. especially if you've got a good rig. you'll kick yourself for not doing it sooner

abstract

Reaction score
Now that you mention Misha, I really think my Aftermath or Cold Sweat suggestion is relevant. Both are super clear on the low strings, and the Cold Sweat neck is said to do JP's lead tones well.

mrlespaulman

Reaction score
Why in the world are BKP's so expensive? I can't really afford that at the moment...

I'll stick to the ~$80 price range.

Any opinions on GFS pickups for the Ibanez or Washburn? Are they worth the cheap price?

mrlespaulman

Reaction score
Well BKP's might be an option if i had a nicer 7, but i can't justify paying the same amount for the guitar and the pickups :\

:shred:

Latest posts

')