Pickups for 7 string schecter

Oranproks4

Reaction score
recently i fancied myself over a seven string and got myself a schecter omen 7 extreme and had an invader 7 installed in the bridge

the guitar is mahogany with a maple neck and a rosewood fretboard.

the bridge pick up sounds like absolute .... when not brought to extreme volumes and bass boosted on amp (treble needs to be lowered as well... bummer) and it hums like crazy

i have been thinking to replace both of them for seymour duncan sentient nazgul set, should i do that or are there any other pickups who will provide much better results? (passive only)
the music i play is mostly deathcore, metalcore, djent and a bit of death metal which leads me to end up tuning down a lot which is also a factor

any suugestions/opinion?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ImNotAhab

ChronicUnderachiever
Reaction score
For what its worth I have a Schecter KM7 (which is swam ash, be warned) and i have tried a pegasus and a nazgul. I preferred the nazgul as overall it felt a bit "tighter", the pegasus was nice and warm in the mids and highs which i liked but the weaker loose bass was not for me (I wonder could they make a hybrid Nazasus pickup from the SD custom shop).

Other SD pickups I'm interested in trying would be the Black Winter which seems to be almost universally liked or the Holcomb stuff.

Failing that you could go active with the Fishman stuff which seems to be appealing to a broad range of players and styles.

Oranproks4

Reaction score
For what its worth I have a Schecter KM7 (which is swam ash, be warned) and i have tried a pegasus and a nazgul. I preferred the nazgul as overall it felt a bit "tighter", the pegasus was nice and warm in the mids and highs which i liked but the weaker loose bass was not for me (I wonder could they make a hybrid Nazasus pickup from the SD custom shop).

Other SD pickups I'm interested in trying would be the Black Winter which seems to be almost universally liked or the Holcomb stuff.

Failing that you could go active with the Fishman stuff which seems to be appealing to a broad range of players and styles.

i dont really wanna active route this guitar since for the price its really not worth it, i also tried the schecter km7 which my friend had a pegasus installed, and a schecter banshee with a nazgul (also prefered the nazgul for my playstyle)

would you say that a nazgul in the bridge and sentient in the neck would be good?

ImNotAhab

ChronicUnderachiever
Reaction score
i dont really wanna active route this guitar since for the price its really not worth it, i also tried the schecter km7 which my friend had a pegasus installed, and a schecter banshee with a nazgul (also prefered the nazgul for my playstyle)

would you say that a nazgul in the bridge and sentient in the neck would be good?

So i think the Nazgul and Sentient set sound good in the KM guitars i own. Whether the sound good in your particular guitar is always bit of gamble. If you did like them from a previous experience then you are likely going to be in the ball park for what you are looking for.

Also the tight bass element seems like it would be suited for a mahogany guitar, but hopefully someone else who knows more will provide some input.

Oranproks4

Reaction score
So i think the Nazgul and Sentient set sound good in the KM guitars i own. Whether the sound good in your particular guitar is always bit of gamble. If you did like them from a previous experience then you are likely going to be in the ball park for what you are looking for.

Also the tight bass element seems like it would be suited for a mahogany guitar, but hopefully someone else who knows more will provide some input.

thank you very much
it seems that in my 3 years of guitar geekiness (6 years of playing though) i should have also learned about what pickups fit in what woods and not just

"OMG EMG
OMG SEYMOUR DUNCAN
OMG FISHMANNNNNNNNNNNN"

Oranproks4

Reaction score
What bout trying Schecter apocalypse?

since pickups cost a .... ton in my country and i only get to fly over to the US once every year or so then i cant really take risks like i did with the invader... so im looking for a sure bet

elkoki

Reaction score
So what don't you like about your current pickup ? I'm asking just to be sure . Is it too bright ?

I got an all mahogany schecter as well . It came stock with the nazgul and sentient set . The nazgul is perfect for chugging . It's really bright though and it's not versatile , it does down tuned metal very well . The sentient I wasn't too impressed with in this guitar , but I can see it working really well in a warm sounding guitar . It's eqed to have lots of treble , and very little bass and mids. It's not muddy at all , every note on the fret board will sound clear . Cleans are somewhat bright and glassy , distorted sounds are very clear . But I feel it's a little under powered and sounded kinda thin in my Schecter . I swapped it for a liquifire and to me it sounds the way a neck pickup should sound warm, singing, liquidy tone .

Btw this is the brightest guitar I own and it's mahogany .

Oranproks4

Reaction score
So what don't you like about your current pickup ? I'm asking just to be sure . Is it too bright ?

I got an all mahogany schecter as well . It came stock with the nazgul and sentient set . The nazgul is perfect for chugging . It's really bright though and it's not versatile , it does down tuned metal very well . The sentient I wasn't too impressed with in this guitar , but I can see it working really well in a warm sounding guitar . It's eqed to have lots of treble , and very little bass and mids. It's not muddy at all , every note on the fret board will sound clear . Cleans are somewhat bright and glassy , distorted sounds are very clear . But I feel it's a little under powered and sounded kinda thin in my Schecter . I swapped it for a liquifire and to me it sounds the way a neck pickup should sound warm, singing, liquidy tone .

Btw this is the brightest guitar I own and it's mahogany .

i dont know how to explain it but just imagine an amp with the eq set to mid:10
treble:7
bass:1.5

im sure someone would love this pickup, but it doesnt fit me as i really want a pickup that would handle down tuned guitars and sound full and not super twangy as this pickup does, i would have added an audio file but i do not have an interface to record my amp with

elkoki

Reaction score
i dont know how to explain it but just imagine an amp with the eq set to mid:10
treble:7
bass:1.5

im sure someone would love this pickup, but it doesnt fit me as i really want a pickup that would handle down tuned guitars and sound full and not super twangy as this pickup does, i would have added an audio file but i do not have an interface to record my amp with

So just to be clear you're talking about the Invader pickup? Because that pickup is eqed to have a .... load of mids and bass and hardly any treble. If your guitar sounds bright then it's probably the guitar or your amp not the pickup.

Some guitars are just bright as .... no matter whats in them. My Schecter is bright as .... too, even though it's all mahogany and that type of wood is known for being "warm". I think my guitar is super bright because it has a 26.5 scale length, and the bridge makes it sound bright and twangy...

Try using lighter gauge strings so the strings aren't super tight, it might help with that bright twangy thing going on.

But yeah, it's weird that you would describe the invader as being bright. Unless I read something wrong then sorry.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
In my experience the Invader is very thick in the mids and fairly bassy :scratch: you mentioned it sounds very bright, has a lot of hum, and needs extra volume, which leads me to think the pickup may be wired up wrong/in split mode, which would lower the output, cut bass, add bite, and take away the hum cancelling aspect of the humbucker.

I'd say it's definitely worth peeking in the control cavity and making sure the pickup and the rest of the electronics are wired correctly according to the Seymour Duncan color codes/diagrams and that there aren't any cold or broken solder joints.

Oranproks4

Reaction score
In my experience the Invader is very thick in the mids and fairly bassy :scratch: you mentioned it sounds very bright, has a lot of hum, and needs extra volume, which leads me to think the pickup may be wired up wrong/in split mode, which would lower the output, cut bass, add bite, and take away the hum cancelling aspect of the humbucker.

I'd say it's definitely worth peeking in the control cavity and making sure the pickup and the rest of the electronics are wired correctly according to the Seymour Duncan color codes/diagrams and that there aren't any cold or broken solder joints.

while my guitar does have a push pull knob on it might say GC ....ed up (suprising) while wiring up my guitar...

Oranproks4

Reaction score
So just to be clear you're talking about the Invader pickup? Because that pickup is eqed to have a .... load of mids and bass and hardly any treble. If your guitar sounds bright then it's probably the guitar or your amp not the pickup.

Some guitars are just bright as .... no matter whats in them. My Schecter is bright as .... too, even though it's all mahogany and that type of wood is known for being "warm". I think my guitar is super bright because it has a 26.5 scale length, and the bridge makes it sound bright and twangy...

Try using lighter gauge strings so the strings aren't super tight, it might help with that bright twangy thing going on.

But yeah, it's weird that you would describe the invader as being bright. Unless I read something wrong then sorry.

couldnt be that, i played the same guitar (same model and everything) that had a full shred in the bridge and it sound HUGE (just not for my playing style)