Pickups for 7620

• Thread starter wavez1392
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wavez1392

Reaction score
Been looking through a lot of the threads about 7620/basswood guitars and pickups, and I want a little more info about which sets I should pickup.

I want the bridge pickup to have a strong tight bass while still being able to maintain clarity with chords. Ideally I'm looking to get a periphery style tone- like bulbs Icarus lives video with the ebmm 7. Thinking at this point about getting the crunch lab and liquifire 7's, wondering if there would be anything else that sticks out for this type of tone i'm going after.

thanks

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wavez1392

Reaction score
---Thought I should add that I am playing through I Mesa rectoverb combo, which always run with a Keeley compressor, Isp Decimator and a Ibanez tubescreamer through the front of the amp.

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
I'd say go for Liquifire / Crunchlab or D-Sonic set. I haven't tried both in basswood, but I think the Crunchlab was tuned for the alder / mahogany combination used in the current JP models.

However, either should be ridiculously articulate, so articulate you might want to think about removing the compressor from the signal chain (at least for your heavy tones).

wavez1392

Reaction score
I'd say go for Liquifire / Crunchlab or D-Sonic set. I haven't tried both in basswood, but I think the Crunchlab was tuned for the alder / mahogany combination used in the current JP models.

However, either should be ridiculously articulate, so articulate you might want to think about removing the compressor from the signal chain (at least for your heavy tones).

Yeah my set up is very mid heavy at the moment. Maybe it would be too mid heavy with these pickups. Want something can complement my amp. Thinking I should look for a pickup with more bass and treble? My amp can get very middy and treblely when eq'd the right way. Not enough bass usually.

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
The D-Sonic and Crunchlab are not mid-heavy at all....they actually have a bit of a scoop frequency-wise, the D-Sonic a bit more than the CL.

SamSam

GAS problems
Reaction score
I haven't tried the CL7, however I have a CL6 in my RG570 and I couldn't be happier with the results. The guitar has never sounded fuller! The only bridge pickup I prefer to it is the Painkiller. :yesway:

')