pickups for a basswood guitar

Captain Morgan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So, I got myself A schecter 7 string guitar center for real cheap, since i had store credit and used gear and I'm gonna be real it plays fantastic, but the pickups sound like pretty awful through my rig (Marshall DSL I use onboard effects and sometimes a Behringer M3 pedal) the bridge pickup is very harsh sounding and just not good. The neck pickup is lacking lower end and just is too quiet. So It's a Demon 7 with tune o matic bridge, rosewood board, maple neck pretty basic stuff

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

katsumura78

Reaction score
Lots of Dimarzio pickups go great with basswood guitars from my experience. Just depends what sound you’re going for. Titan, D Activator, the JP sets (Sonic Ecstasy is great). If you want to spend some dough the Juggernaut BKP set is good in basswood.

Captain Morgan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Lots of Dimarzio pickups go great with basswood guitars from my experience. Just depends what sound you’re going for. Titan, D Activator, the JP sets (Sonic Ecstasy is great). If you want to spend some dough the Juggernaut BKP set is good in basswood.
Dimarzio has great stuff for sure! About 2 months ago, I picked up a cheap epi to learn basic electronics and installing hardware on, and I put an air norton that was cut too short in the bridge. Even though people use it in the neck, It's fantastic in the bridge. The schecter came with active stock pickups, and I'm considering replacing them with a set of hot passives, but I'm not sure of the things I would need to accomplish that or how much it would cost. So, if it's cheaper to replace them with a set EMG's I might also consider doing that. The problem there is that I really don't know much about their pickups compared to duncan and dimarzio.

TheBolivianSniper

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If we're talking Dimarzio I personally love the Crunch Lab/Liquifire set. I have them in my RG655 and they sound great. Very smooth and tight but if you dig in a little they both get hairier and more aggressive. The Liquifire in particular is just an insane pickup. Very warm and with good cleans but it gets you those saturated lead tones and harmonics just pop.

Captain Morgan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If we're talking Dimarzio I personally love the Crunch Lab/Liquifire set. I have them in my RG655 and they sound great. Very smooth and tight but if you dig in a little they both get hairier and more aggressive. The Liquifire in particular is just an insane pickup. Very warm and with good cleans but it gets you those saturated lead tones and harmonics just pop.
You're right It's very good almost like an improved Tone Zone. The issue here is that I don't know to turn an active guitar into a passive one. I can solder and all that, but I'm not the greatest and don't know the first thing about removing active components. The wild card is that EMG has solderless installation which seems pretty simple. Even on that front I will have a lot of comparing to do.

Captain Morgan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I can't really afford those although I wish i could. Though, but owould a 707 would give me enough low end, or should I look for something else?

Adieu

Reaction score
I can't really afford those although I wish i could. Though, but owould a 707 would give me enough low end, or should I look for something else?

Depends what's in there right now

Names, pics, or exact model name?

Captain Morgan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Depends what's in there right now

Names, pics, or exact model name?
It's a schecter Demon 7 with schecter stock active pickups apparently modeled after the duncan designed blackouts

Attachments

• 375.JPG
    375.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 8